Arnold Layne multitrack analysis from BBC2 (isolated tracks)

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
Mr Kite
Embryo
Embryo

Arnold Layne multitrack analysis from BBC2 (isolated tracks)

Post by Mr Kite »

"Pink Floyd's "Arnold Layne" multitrack breakdown, from a special Pink Floyd version of "The Record Producers" on BBC Radio 2."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCiqpFeYEVU

Apologies if this has been posted before. I didn't see it anywhere. Anyway, very cool and very interesting. You get to hear isolated tracks and commentary from Joe Boyd and others about the innovative process they went through with the recording.
It appears no other Syd stuff was on the show. A pity. But never the less great to hear this.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Arnold Layne multitrack analysis from BBC2 (isolated tra

Post by snifferdog »

If you can get your hands on the whole podcast, it's really good :) It's fascinating to hear the mistakes, the alternative versions and other goodies.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I have listened to the multitrack analysis of both Arnold Layne and Candy and a Currant Bun on Youtube.

It is very essential indeed for anyone who wishes to know more about the sessions with Syd, ie. how they recorded the singles. It would be even better if we could somehow get hold of the Piper sessions :) .

For those guys who want to listen to the mutitrack breakdowns of Candy and a Currant Bun :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUMg2FtORho

Seriously, Candy has got to be one of Pink Floyd's best B-sides.
Last edited by rememberaday on Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Mr. "Steve" can't identify the backing vocals- which are really otherworldly. Someone in Youtube wrote that Rick is probably standing close upto the microphone and singing. But it is still very otherworldy to be just singing.

And Mr Kite, thanks a LOT for bringing up this thread.
Mr Kite
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mr Kite »

Thanks very much for posting Candy. I thoroughly enjoyed that.
And yeah, it would be really great to hear the Piper sessions individual tracks. It would be cool to hear in that in high resolution sound, as well. I guess its going to take a while for high rez sound to be more available.
I suppose that's the last of the Floyd era Syd isolated track stuff on that podcast - or otherwise for now?
PemmicanHoosh
Axe
Axe

Post by PemmicanHoosh »

Unfortunately those skinflints at EMI almost certainly taped over the 4-track tapes that they used to record Piper.

In addition to the Arnold/Candy tape, these Syd-era 4-track tapes exist, with titles as they are written on the tape boxes:

1. Matilda’s Mother (takes 1-6) [the original ‘Belloc’ versions, I assume]

2. Scream Thy Last… (takes 1-4) and Set the Controls… (takes 1-2).

3. Untitled (takes 1-7)

4. Remember a Day, Jug Band Blues and Vegetable Man

5. Jugband Blues

6. Untitled (takes 1-8) [believed to be Paintbox]

7. Untitled (takes 8-9) [as above]

8. Intremental (take 1) and In the Beechwoods (takes 1-5)

9. Vegetable Man and Remember a Man

10. John Latham

All 4-track info taken from Random Precision by David Parker.

It’s a shame the 4-tracks for Piper are long gone, but at least there is some stuff no one has heard before and there’s bound to be some surprises on the tapes somewhere. It should also be possible to finally sort out whether there are two guitarists on Set the Controls… as that 4-track tape seemingly exists.

Roll on the Piper/Saucer Immersion - with all the stuff - live, BBC etc - knocking about, plus these unreleased and unheard working tapes, it’s got to happen, hasn’t it?
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

I hope they release it, PemiHoosh. It would be a great surprise, though. The Floyd always been a bit evasive regarding their early years. :(
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

PemmicanHoosh wrote:Unfortunately those skinflints at EMI almost certainly taped over the 4-track tapes that they used to record Piper.

In addition to the Arnold/Candy tape, these Syd-era 4-track tapes exist, with titles as they are written on the tape boxes:

1. Matilda’s Mother (takes 1-6) [the original ‘Belloc’ versions, I assume]

2. Scream Thy Last… (takes 1-4) and Set the Controls… (takes 1-2).

3. Untitled (takes 1-7)

4. Remember a Day, Jug Band Blues and Vegetable Man

5. Jugband Blues

6. Untitled (takes 1-8) [believed to be Paintbox]

7. Untitled (takes 8-9) [as above]

8. Intremental (take 1) and In the Beechwoods (takes 1-5)

9. Vegetable Man and Remember a Man

10. John Latham

All 4-track info taken from Random Precision by David Parker.

It’s a shame the 4-tracks for Piper are long gone, but at least there is some stuff no one has heard before and there’s bound to be some surprises on the tapes somewhere. It should also be possible to finally sort out whether there are two guitarists on Set the Controls… as that 4-track tape seemingly exists.

Roll on the Piper/Saucer Immersion - with all the stuff - live, BBC etc - knocking about, plus these unreleased and unheard working tapes, it’s got to happen, hasn’t it?
With the exception of Matilda's Mother, I think all the above date from what would become the 'Saucerful..' sessions - there's some familiar album titles from that list for a start.
I don't have my copy of Random precision at hand, but I recall seeing a lot of the Untitled tracks around the September-November 1967 timeframe, after PATGOD's release.

Not sure what more could be released from the Matilda's Mother session tape - we already have the album version (stereo and mono), plus a version with the original lyrics (on the 40th Anniversary PATGOD), plus an extended version with the original lyrics (on the "Introduction to Syd Barrett" compilation.

Surely the only other thing they could release from that session is the basic instrumental track, before overdubs? (or a "do your own mix" mogg file..)

A Saucerful of Secrets set would be really exciting, not just because there's so many questions & unknowns about that time in the band's history.. but also because there's a bigger pool of material in archives to draw from - audio and video.

Far less seems to have been scrapped, and more was recorded (and filmed!) in better quality - especially in mid-late 1968, just after Syd's departure.

Their filmed appearances in Europe around that time are quite stunning - including a blistering 'Astronomy Dominae' I've seen with David on guitar, reportedly filmed in Belgium some time in 1968.
rememberaday
Judge!
Judge!

Post by rememberaday »

Are you referring to the Kastres Festival version which Jimi Dean Barrett posted over here a few weeks ago?
flippikat
Axe
Axe

Post by flippikat »

rememberaday wrote:Are you referring to the Kastres Festival version which Jimi Dean Barrett posted over here a few weeks ago?
Yeah. It's amazing how much video has leaked out, and is now online in pretty reasonable quality

You've got to wonder what else could be in vaults.. whether mis-filed, lost or forgotten.. or just keenly kept under lock & key.. :)