Pink Floyd - Animals

Discussions about Pink Floyd and Solo Official Album CDs and DVDs.

Rate This Album

5 - Best
63%
27%
6%
1%
1 - Worst
3%

Total votes: 168

kitkat
Knife
Knife

Re: Pink Floyd - Animals

Post by kitkat »

It rules. May be The Genius' best lyrical work as well as some of his best musical work.

Awesome.
Tbonetyler
Axe
Axe

Post by Tbonetyler »

Woot! Today I just found out that the In The Flesh tour 1977 started on January 23... my birthday!

<ii> <ii> <ii> <ii> [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] \:D/ \:D/ 8) \:D/ \:D/ [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] [-D-] <ii> <ii> <ii> <ii>

(I had quite a moment... well lets just say I screamed and started singing Sheep...)
30yrsydfan
Axe
Axe

Post by 30yrsydfan »

A great album!
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

Always thought of this as their "Heavy Metal " album. Great lyrics, everyone seems to be on the same page & Gilmour's solo at the end of Pigs( 3 different Ones) is his best solo in my opinion. On the 8 track version, Pigs on the wing parts 1&2 has a guitar solo for a bridge & I recently found out that it was Snowy White who played that lead, NOT Gilmour. Still one of my top 4 Floyd albums.
CHR15
Axe
Axe

Post by CHR15 »

Animals was their best studio album, and best live show/setlist for the tour. This was the height of the band!. Its too bad they couldn't have pumped out another couple of albums like this one before it all went sour... Don't get me wrong i'm glad the wall was made... it's a strong second or third for me and the live version of it is my favorate live album by them(more rick made the live version better than the studio) But in a perfect world they would have mended fences after the wall/final cut and returned to the Animals/WYWH sound for a few more albums.
floyd_beatles_95
Hammer
Hammer

Post by floyd_beatles_95 »

It's flat-out awesome! \:D/
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I think I love the whole album but my favorite song on the album is Pigs. The song where Roger Waters brings up Mary Whitehouse. I don't know why I like the song but I do.
JackRegan
Knife
Knife

Post by JackRegan »

4/5 Last really good PF record with four of em. Hope they would release Live CD from this tour (might not never happen i know). Damn...hope that someone will release soundboard recording someday :/
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Without question my favourite Floyd album. Partly due to it's relative obscurity (IMO) in comparison to the sales of DSOTM, WYWH or The Wall and partly due to the dark content of the lyrics and the way I feel the music reinforces their melancholy and bile.

Sheep - I can always remember the first time I heard this track - an amazing moment that I liken it to the first time I heard Money or Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit on the radio - there's something radical and exciting about the sound and density of it's recording.

Dogs - listening to it on vinyl without the novelty of a CD track counter, am I the only one that thought the song had ended halfway through and that the line beginning 'Who was born in a house full of pain...' was the next track?! What a noob. :roll:

Pigs 3DO - I have a couple of questions about this track if any members could enlighten me:

What is the effect that's used on the bass? It sounds similar to that which is used on the bassline of Sheep - some sort of Flanger maybe?

Also, I have a feeling, as was the case on many of the Floyd tracks, that it may have been Gilmour that recorded the bass track (?) - no doubt one of you guys can confirm whether or not this was the case?

If anyone has the personnel and/or liner notes to hand I'd love to know more about the album and the history of the recording. The whereabouts of any tour bootlegs would be a bonus!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

BigDim wrote:What is the effect that's used on the bass? It sounds similar to that which is used on the bassline of Sheep - some sort of Flanger maybe?

Also, I have a feeling, as was the case on many of the Floyd tracks, that it may have been Gilmour that recorded the bass track (?) - no doubt one of you guys can confirm whether or not this was the case?

If anyone has the personnel and/or liner notes to hand I'd love to know more about the album and the history of the recording. The whereabouts of any tour bootlegs would be a bonus!
As far as I know it's a fretless bass on P3DO? (Lol, that looks like "paedo"!) I suggest abandoning initialising the song titles on Animals to save the forum being set on fire by media induced insanity mob!
I'm not as confident in saying the bass went through a chorus pedal, but I'm convinced it was a Fretless bass, so probably played by Gilmour.
That's my take on it. I call on the musicians of the forum to back me or sack me on this!
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

I love this album because it is very underrated for many reasons but it is still very true about people today. I think most of would have to be sheep and most world leaders are pigs. We pretty much now who the Dogs are like Donald Trump or some like Paris Hilton I suppose. I really have a bunch off respect for this album a lot.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

Personally I am kind of a dog myself ...and a pig ...AND a sheep!

I think there's one BIG misconception about this album concept. Much like The Wall and DSoTM, this is more of a psychological analysis of different facets of the nature of man, than the sociological description of how society is organized, in the vein of Orwell's Animal Farm, some people interpret it as. It explores how different dark impulses (mainly greed/egocentrism, desire for power/control and conformism) can shape our lives.

The point it's trying to make is not "the dogs work for the pigs who control the sheep", is more like "this is what happens if you live like a dog, or a pig, or a sheep".
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

I don't live life as a pig that is for sure. You can get an idea that Roger had a ton of reasons of why dogs are dogs or sheep are sheep from things like the Bible because in the Bible it says we are the lamb of God. I may not agree with all of Roger Waters beliefs but I respect him as an artist and you can't say he is stupid. I love the album.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

This album was the start of Rog getting angry
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

That is very true about Animals being the album that started Roger Waters "angry" albums like The Wall. You could tell Roger Waters had some anger in the other Pink Floyd albums but it all started to build up after either Wish You Were Here and then his anger started to grow with the albums like Animals and then The Wall.