Rick Wright, RIP - 1943 - 2008

Discuss all things Richard Wright from his epic keyboarding to the wonderful songs he created for the band!
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Re: Richard Wright Dies Age 65 - 1943 - 2008 - Pay Respects Here

Post by danielcaux »

Just got the news, I would like to say I feel sad, but I don't, right now I'm just in total shock; I know I will in a few weeks though. So I guess I was right afterall, what a bummer. I remember what some unknown old man said to me ten years ago when he was celebrating his 50th birthday and we accidentally met: "Life is what you live up until you get 50, the rest of it is just the encore".

Well Rick, you are now one with the nothingness, again.

May your spirit survive in our soul.
kingfisher_flashing
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kingfisher_flashing »

I am so shocked. My daughter just woke me up and told me. This is so sad. Rest in peace lovely Rick.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

:( See you at the Great Gig in the Sky, Pretty Ricky... :(
vahurka
Embryo
Embryo

Post by vahurka »

Man, this is so shocking! It's totally unexpected!
Rick, we will never forget!
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

Holy shit!!! I can't believe this. :shock: :smt089 :smt089 :smt089 I had to read the article a second time for it to sink in. Rick was a huge element of the Floyd. His playing is what really adds the Floyd to the songs. He is gonna be missed. I'm really sad. Gonna listen to as much Floyd as I can tonight.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Richard IS one of my all time favorite keyboard players! :(
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

Do you think that the album he has been working on may be released posthumously?
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

In all honesty, not sure how i feel at this as it's almost surreal.
You almost don't expect your heroes or the people you admire to die and this has been incredibly sudden. I don't think anybody knew he was ill to begin with.
So in the space of one year, we have lost two golden members of on eof the worlds bands.
It's horrible in a way to think that this is going to get more regular as they all get that much older.

Thankyou Rick for being a huge part of my musical life.
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

I'm happy he was around, and sad he's gone.
pffan1990

Post by pffan1990 »

I don't even know what to say about all this. I found out about five hours ago and it still hasn't hit me, yet, as I'm still in shock. But the creepy thing was I had a dream a few days ago that a PF member was to die. However, it was DG in the dream having passed on from a stroke. So when I got on CNN's website and saw that article, saying "Pink Floyd co-founder dies", my heart sank, but I knew it couldn't be DG since he was NOT a co-founder. When I clicked on the link and saw it was Rick, I was just shocked and stunned.

I didn't even know he was sick and he seemed fine, though a bit too skinny the past few appearances. Now we know why he couldn't appear at the Swedish Awards thing with Nick and Roger. :( I still think the family should have let us known he was sick so that the fans could send in the prayers and well-wishes to let Rick know while he was alive how much he has influenced us. He was my favorite member and mainly the reason why I had to go more than six hours to Chicago from Kentucky to see him (along with DG, of course) perform the show.

While there will now never be another PF reunion, I am glad I have memories of seeing two Waters shows (2000 & 2006) as well as seeing DG/Rick on April 13, 2006. These memories will be carried with me till death. I was hoping to meet Rick someday just to talk with him and tell him how much he has influenced me. I am saddened that this will never happened as well as him completing the instrumental solo album he had been working on.

Well, as I'm still in shock and listening to "Shine On (Part 9)", all I can say is: "RIP Rick. Say hi to Syd for us and have a Great Gig In The Sky! We shall meet again some sunny day." :(
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I just got the news. :shock: What sad news to see this. Poor Ric. I never new any thing was wrong with his health. To be a star these days, the press even know if you have a cold. I can only think it must have been very sudden. I hope he didn't suffer.

God bless you Ric. Thank you for the wonderful music you gave to us. I'm sad I will never be able to see you again preform in this life.

RIP Richard Wright. :(
livepulse
Embryo
Embryo

Post by livepulse »

My first post... and what a post... :(

Terribly shocked, my condolances to his family he leaves behind. Thank you for all the great moments and music!

As soon as i heard the news i just had to play Great Gig. When i selected the DSOTM-album in iTunes, that song was highlighted as if it was waiting to be played... spooky...

RIP mr. Wright!

:smt022 :smt009 :smt010
gary_b_efc
Embryo
Embryo

Post by gary_b_efc »

thank you for so many hours of pleasure, rest in peace.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

A few further thoughts:

I hope this will bring David, Nick and Roger closer together again on a personal if not musical level.

This will have an effect on the Syd tribute events because enough time had gone by for that to be celebratory... but now a new shadow will be cast over it.

It was entirely right not to have let his illness be known: it was the man's style for a start, but also he did not need to be told how much he influenced and was loved by so many people, he would have already known, whereas a mass outpouring of attention would not have been appropriate whilst he was trying to fight that evil disease.

So now we must mourn, later we will celebrate and perhaps further on down the line we can be surprised again but with something very positive, since it should not be so hard to finalise an instrumental album as long as the material is there... I'm sure there's something in the can for later... :wink:
Korky
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Korky »

Arrgghhhh,

Sad Day,

Condolences for all those he left behind,

Korky.