London Olympics 2012

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

London Olympics 2012

Post by Keith Jordan »

Anybody got tickets for any of the events or do you think you might go? Will you watch any on the TV?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: London Olympics 2012

Post by snifferdog »

No but then I don't live in the UK. I'll probably watch some of it but sadly, it lost its romance for me a long time ago because of all those performance enhancing drugs. When I see someone winning a race now or breaking a record, I automatically wonder did they achieve it by themselves or because they've taken who know what?
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

I’m hoping Cameron and his corrupt government will send me one of their freebees tickets. Which the tax payer had to pay for.
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

I live near too where the Rowing events are taking place and i know the lake well and areas all around it. From what i have seen and heard the whole area from J7 which is near my house as well as the bath road and the road leading too the lake all around it is going too be madness. The local train station is going too be packed out with coaches taking people direct too the lake. People living in the surrounds of the lake, Dorney and Eton Wick most are renting that week too get away from the chaos.
Im dreading it
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I am so happy London got the Olympics, rather than my home city. We already probably have the worst traffic in North America and a very NOT world class transit system. Toronto would probably have road rage shootings. Have fun you zany Brits!!! But, be warned, Canada will now offer our coaches cash if athletes win metals. :twisted: :D
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Here is a nice picture of some big rings with London Bridge in the background and HMS Belfast on the right there (I went on that, its fun).
_58759993_014117305-1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I suppose it could be a good opportunity for a "terrorist" attack, or for another round of rioting from the false-sense-of-entitlement underclass. With a few thousand rich tourists in the city for the Olympics, there will be lots of easy targets lingering in East London...

But perhaps I should not be so cynical. Who knows? The only sport I watch is tennis, so I won't be watching much of this on TV.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Will you be watching the popular men's 100 metres? Or is that too populist for you? :D
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

I can safely say I'll watch no Olympics event ... athletics doesn't interest me in the slightest.
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

wiped wrote:I can safely say I'll watch no Olympics event ... athletics doesn't interest me in the slightest.
[-D-] [-D-] [-D-]
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

Me too i couldnt care less for a glorifed sports day events dragged out for 3 weeks yawn :-({|=

as homer simpson once said

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

What a terrible attitude towards a great sporting event some of you have! Shame on you, shame on the people who look like you! <.8.>
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I'll probably watch some of it. Not necessarily the running because I find it boring. I like the other events though. Such a shame mysterious athletes from behind the iron curtain don't compete any more. That used to be fun. Trying to figure out what growth hormones they were taking or even what gender they were <.8.>
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Keith Jordan wrote:What a terrible attitude towards a great sporting event some of you have! Shame on you, shame on the people who look like you! <.8.>
Well, I often see that many countries have to pay off debts for years for hosting the Olympics AND the money surrounding the event is a bit of a turn off. For example, the Winter Olympics in Vancouver had an interesting thing happen. Right To Play ( http://www.righttoplay.com/Internationa ... /Home.aspx ) could not do their thing because General Motors objected to the fact that Right To Play was sponsored by another auto manufacturer...money!!!

EDIT: And one more thing. The countries that spend the most money on their athletes tend to win the most medals. Here is an article about the General Motors issue: http://www.thestar.com/article/510933
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I was of the understanding that the Olympics is an investment and it pays back more than was invested?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/lond ... bilee.html
It says second quarter growth will be weakened by the extra Jubilee bank holiday – in the same way the Royal Wedding decreased GDP in the second quarter of 2011 – but that economic growth in the third quarter will bounce back strongly, aided by the Olympics.