Nick Mason - is it just me or...

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I agree with most of what Tenniru said.

Other than brief issues with drumming capabilities in the mid to late 80s which were simply down to confidence and the egos of others, I think Mason has pretty much had the most solid place in the band of all members and pretty much validates any supposed "Floyd" line up (of which he has been in all).
In this, he is the heart and soul of the band.
Mason always had the best attitude to "being in a rock 'n' roll band" in that it's about enjoying yourself whilst putting on a good show, NOT the bullshit stuff.

This is why he is almost untouchable.

THE MOUSTACHE WILL NEVER DIE! LONG LIVE THE BUTTERFLY MOUSTACHE!!
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Re: Nick Mason - is it just me or...

Post by MadJedi »

TheLazenby wrote:Does Nick get ripped on more than any other member?? !
:lol:

no.
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

Nick Mason looks like a teddy bear these days, with his round head and his squinty eyes. He looks very friendly and the type of guy who likes to be in contact with his fans.

But he still hasn't joined this forum.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

most of the Nick Mason jokes are made by Nick Mason himself anyway :lol:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:Nick Mason looks like a teddy bear these days, with his round head and his squinty eyes. He looks very friendly and the type of guy who likes to be in contact with his fans.

But he still hasn't joined this forum.
Someone should invite him.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:But he still hasn't joined this forum.
sure?
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Yucateco wrote:
iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:But he still hasn't joined this forum.
sure?
I assure you that he has joined the forum. He told me the last time we played golf together.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Alright, I admit it.

I AM NICK MASON.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:YES!!! It WAS quite impressive!!! And I think he is the LEAST vain, of all the boys- definitely the most down-to-earth, level-headed, and personable.... and what a wicked sense of humour! Personally, I think Nick's all that, AND a bag of chips! :P
How can you say any of that if you don't actually know him? THis is always a personal annoyance to me, is when a forum member goes "Roger/Dave/whoever would do this..." or "Its Obvious Roger/Dave/whoever is trying to..."

Y'know?
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

my breakfast. wrote: I also think Nick is vain! Watch him on the RFH rehearsal footage!

my breakfast. wrote:
How can you say any of that if you don't actually know him? THis is always a personal annoyance to me, is when a forum member goes "Roger/Dave/whoever would do this..." or "Its Obvious Roger/Dave/whoever is trying to..."

Y'know?
contradicting yourself a bit there my friend :lol: :lol:

and teniru why was it disrespectfull to include hey you, welcome to the machine and run like hell in the selists?
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Run Like Hell was a Roger-written AND Rog-sung song. Most of the other stuff in the DryFloyd setlist could be excused by the fact that Dave sang it or made a major contribution, but that's not the case for RLH.
It's even worse that Guy Pratt co-sang it.

Welcome To The Machine is Rog-written and it's about the very evils the DryFloyd was knee-deep in; despite how much I like DSoT, the AMLOR-era Floyd was really a money-driven mechanized thing. It's kind of like if Paul McCartney sang Lennon's "How Do You Sleep?" or Roger sang "What Do You Want From Me?".

Hey You is criticizing seperation from an audience, lack of concert intimacy, and general disconnectedness. PULSE was awesome, but intimate was one thing it wasn't. Also, it's really a personal Roger song; I don't see Dave complaining about how much actual emotional damage a lack of intimacy to the audience causes them, beating themselves up after feeling so alone onstage he lost respect for the audience.
Also, Pratt sings the end.

Now, granted, that doesn't dissuade me from absolutely loving the DryFloyd takes of this song; Guy's screaming on the PULSE take of Hey You is just SEARING. All I care about on my end is the vibrations of air around my ears and the electrons hitting my eyes, when it comes to the actual art.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Tenniru wrote:
Also, Pratt sings the end.

Now, granted, that doesn't dissuade me from absolutely loving the DryFloyd takes of this song; Guy's screaming on the PULSE take of Hey You is just SEARING. All I care about on my end is the vibrations of air around my ears and the electrons hitting my eyes, when it comes to the actual art.
It?s Jon Carin singing there, not Pratt
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

cheers teniru, i wasnt having a dig or anything i just anted you to explain and that you did :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

tea-set wrote:contradicting yourself a bit there my friend :lol: :lol:
You seen the RFH footage? He prances around infront of the camera! Thats visual! Thats Vanity!

And yes I contradict myself all the time.