If he mimes the vocals where does he get the tapes?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
sydcrainbop
Axe
Axe

Re: If he mimes the vocals where does he get the tapes?

Post by sydcrainbop »

Sitting here, watching the close video of April 8, 2011, I realize that all of Roger's megaphone rants during "Waiting For The Worms" MUST be pre-recorded because Roger's NOT holding his microphone up to the megaphone. But it's live theater and a rock concert combined, and that's one of the theater tricks. :D i really don't mind. He sings most of the show. He sings what he is still able to.
Comfy Numb,
Syd C.
:mrgreen:
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

siderealxxx wrote:I still don't understand where this notion that he's pre-recorded lots of parts comes from...
there was a bit of debate following his early 2000s dvd, claiming he didnt actually sing the high notes on Every Strangers Eyes but instead just used the vocal track from the 1984 album
it seemd to mostly be coming from people who didnt like Roger anyway

then when his Dark Side tour began there was lots of anticipation that he would be caught lipsynching again, and immediately "proof" emerged in the form of a broadcast of Have A Cigar from the very very first concert, in which two Roger voices could be heard if listened to closely, one loud and very similar to how Roger sang it in the 80s, and the other whispering alongside for random fragments
then folks said he couldnt possibly be singing Sheep, though I always thought the original album track was the results of lots of special effects anyway so why would anybody expect him to be able to stretch notes into guitar sounds and back again?

I havent really seen people bothering to argue this point for this latest tour, finally they seem satisfied with the bigbudget spectacle Rogers providing for all his fans

(I bet I have every discussion from NPF for the last 7 years memorised, wasting valuable space i could be using for Seinfeld episodes)
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Where would the tapes come from to synch to? I dunno...maybe the original recordings he did in the way back when. Maybe he spent alot of time getting one good take of each to use knowing doing it right every performance was beyond him now.

my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I always get the vibe off the lip-synch conspiracy types that they hate Waters anyway. You never really hear it in the context of "the gig was good but its a shame he lip synched" its always "rage rage rage Waters sucks AND he uses backing tapes". Its always like people want a reason to justify their anti-Waters feelings.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

On the ITF dvd i think the end section of every strangers eyes is blatantly the 1984 recording, BUT that doesn't mean the audience didn't hear it new. As Alan said, Roger probably is capable of singing it all on a good day, so the small bits that may be mimed could be a good take that was recorded recently and played over at parts so it is still a contemporary recording, just not one that he is actually doing live. Fair play to him though, he still does an excellent show.

Actually, on PULSE you get a bit of miming too when Gilmour sings the 'Forever and ever' line yet is actually sitting down to play his steel guitar at the time, and clearly not using the mic. Again, not that it really matters.
sydcrainbop
Axe
Axe

Post by sydcrainbop »

By the way, I'm NOT a Waters-basher. I know what I see: During some parts of some songs, we hear Roger but his lips don't move. And to the person who accused Gilmour of lip-sync, most of the world who watches PULSE knows that the background singers (such as Jon, Rick, and the girls) sing the "Forever and ever" line while Gilmour sits down at the steel guitar.
Ignorance is bliss, isn't it?
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

Indeed ignorance is bliss... or maybe I should pay a bit more attention in the unlikely event I get an urge to see PULSE. Regardless I am certainly not of your obviously vast yet surprisingly humble intellect.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

I know he's lip synching some stuff because I asked a friend who is working the tour. Believe what you want - that will never change it. It doesn't mean the show sucks. People are obviously loving it. I was a huge Waters fan when I joined this forum. He hasn't done anything but oldies since. I don't really like him that much anymore. He seems a bit washed up to me now. He seems kind of silly. I don't think lip synching is very impressive. It's kinda lame. Whatever. It's not about bashing Waters. Although he's certainly done his share of bashing. Did it ever occur to you that the reason he is remorseful about all the negative things he said about Gilmour and Mason in the 80s is because he is now doing the same thing they did? Rehashing oldies and coasting on past achievements and selling out stadiums.

I think Milli Vanilli got a bad rap. That group was all about the presentation, too. Why were they so ridiculed? It was all about the visuals, just like this Wall show. Those 2 guys in Milli Vanilli danced and looked better than the people who did the actual singing. Fair enough. It's all theater. Theater of the mind.
sydcrainbop
Axe
Axe

Post by sydcrainbop »

David Smith wrote: Regardless I am certainly not of your obviously vast yet surprisingly humble intellect.
Well, I can be a bit obsessive about Pink Floyd. I listen to bootlegs and watch a bit of concert footage absolutely every single day. Some people watch sports, or take the kids to soccer practice, or program computers, or jump out of airplanes, and other such things....I spend my spare time listening to and watching PF, Gilmour, and Waters....and reading the books....and the rock magazines....

Comfy Numb,
Syd C.
:mrgreen:
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Dunno about you, but I can clearly hear Gilmour's voice while he's stepping away from the microphone and sitting down by the steel guitar, as is depicted here at about 0:14:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mdkI3CaL0o

Sorry for this not being a full song, obviously EMI has blocked all the content they have copyright to for playback in Serbia. Bastards.
sydcrainbop
Axe
Axe

Post by sydcrainbop »

I'm not sure if Gilmour's voice is in there or not because of other voices like Jon Carin singing all at the same time. It is possible, since there are obviously pre-recorded orchestra parts playing. Which is another interesting point to ponder: How much is too much as far as pre-recorded things like orchestra parts in High Hopes, and Poles Apart....?
As for those who are repulsed by PULSE, everyone's opinion is his own right. I LOVE PULSE. And I think one reason is that I DON'T compare the 1994 tourto anything the band did before. To me, it stands alone.

Comfy Numb,
Syd C.
:D
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

On balance I think I can live with Roger lip syncing because I'd rather go to one of his shows and not come away thinking his voice was shot to pieces and that he murdered half the songs. Unlike the plastic pop stars who do the autotune thing and lip sync these days, I know Rog has done it the hard way and he has earned the right to lip sync if he wants. He still puts in a lot of effort
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bAthIsJA30

It´s Jon Carin and Gilmour in the corus with Carin alone singing the last line in High Hopes. You can see it quite clearly in this vid at around 5:25.

If Roger is doing the lip-sync thing, why would they reaarange some of the songs to lower key? Surely there might be some parts like Bring the Boys back home, but i seen the show more than once and couldn´t really notice much pre-recording.
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

Yucateco wrote:If Roger is doing the lip-sync thing, why would they reaarange some of the songs to lower key?
I don't wanna push this issue, but for a fan base so obsessed with detail and facts, you'd think more people would notice. I'm not telling you that he's lip syncing every song.
Yucateco, do you think a vocalist of Waters ability could stretch out his arms wide and pose the way he does and still sing so good? He's practically dancing on this tour. He's walking up a staircase while singing the uptempo part of One Of My Turns! Has anyone asked him if he's lip syncing? Is he denying it? Just listen to the vocals on the second half of each version of this song. Exactly the same. Exactly. Listen to the lines favorite AXE, get between the sheets, and why are you running away for an easy example. No way a 67 year old Roger Waters could do the exact same tone, inflection, pronunciation etc. twice.
(Keep in mind these are recorded by 2 different microphones in 2 different venues from 2 different vantage points. That will make the vocals sound slightly different) Cue up to 2nd part of song around the 2 minute mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1uoUfOtNMk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1if4GKsQl-E
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

one thing that does prove...
all this celphone footage circulating on YouTube is of vastly better quality than the proshot film from 1980 we keep clamouring for official release of
this tour is definitely the reason that unreleased film is not part of the Immersion boxset