Syd Barrett RIP - Pay Respects Here - No New Threads Please!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
minus
Embryo
Embryo

Post by minus »

RIP
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Keith, I've used the new masthead on the menu so people will know it comes from NPF, are you going to put yours up then? I've got it all exporting now but I can cancel it if youre going to do it?
You put yours up Stu you great man of wisdom and all sorts of other stuff too!! I like the sound of it.

Is the Masthead set on a black background? Do you want me to email you a copy of the masthead without the green line on it?
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Keith Jordan wrote:Is the Masthead set on a black background? Do you want me to email you a copy of the masthead without the green line on it?
Yep, black background, the green line actually looks really good so I think it should be kept. Will be torrenting in a few minutes.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I had to watch Newsnight Scotland. Not the proper Newsnight with the Syd story :smt013 :smt013
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I'm still in shock.... I wonder if he knows just how deeply he has affected so many of us, even while out of the limelight.... Looks like my PULSE party tonite may also become a personal memorial tribute to Syd, may he rest in peace.... (Shine on, you crazy diamond...) :smt009 :smt010 :smt090 :smt088 :smt083
gonza_ms
Blade
Blade

Post by gonza_ms »

Shocked...
Rest in peace Syd. I love you...
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

My day came to a halt. I got up at 3pm...so not much of a day really. But did nothing but sit around the net and play PF songs. I can't believe this day has come. Too soon.
blueeyes
Blade
Blade

Post by blueeyes »

heartbreaking. truly.
Narek
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Narek »

RIP Syd Barrett

A person who was totally ahead of his time. :cry:
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

heard on the radio rushed home to see if it was true.... :cry: :cry:
RIP ROGER (SYD) BARRETT SHINE ON....

"WOULDNT YOU MISS ME"
kdpine
Embryo
Embryo

Good Bye Syd

Post by kdpine »

RIP Shine on.
nova74
Axe
Axe

Post by nova74 »

Wow. When I think of Syd, I'll always remember the first summer I really got into Floyd.
My buddy and I used to drive around on gravel roads and listen to every album, as I bought them 1 by 1. (Always had The Wall and DSOTM) I remember the night I got PaTGoD. We were particularly um...elevated that night. The album blew me away, and we listened I think 4 times in a row.

My buddy is coming back into town in 2 days. We are going to take a memorial cruise and burn one (or 2) in memory of Syd. Already got the cd's in my car.

Miss ya Syd
kupietz
Embryo
Embryo

Post by kupietz »

Friday night I happened to be laying in a tent for 3 hours at the Oregon Country Fair, I don't want to post too much detail but let's just say I was seeing stars high and bright. Maybe one of them was Syd.

:(
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

Rest in peace, Roger. Very, very sad news.

"It's awfully considerate of you to think of me here
and I'm most obliged to you for making it clear that I'm not here..."
-Syd Barrett
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I must admit, at the hour of Syd's death I was at a sci-fi con wearing a DEVO energy dome and radiation suit while listening to the rants of well-costumed Klingons and eating fruit salad with enough dye to make it look like something entirely unrelated. My catchprase over the weekend was "Duty Now For The Future". (Well, it's always my internal mantra, it's just that then I was shouting it out in full spud-gear.) How ironic.
However, despite a large and easy-to-cover-up opportunity arising that night, I still said "no" to any mind-altering substance beyond my own insomnia. I suppose it's what he'd have wanted.

Now that I think of it, I'm not entirely anguished over this like I should be. When I was discovering the Beatles (in chronological order) and slammed into John's death (despite him dying long before I was born), I was devastated. I guess it's because he still had something to give, and he didn't see hit coming. Roger Keith Barrett had done everything long ago and was likely at terms with his mortality (seeing as how he was missing fingertips).
The Syd I loved and listened to... I'd already come to terms with his death long, long ago. To me, he died in the mid-70s when his memories were shut out, his brain was fried away, and he was slapped in rehab. Although every life lost is tragic, the man who died on Friday wasn't the man on the cover of Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, or even the back of Barrett. It was a sixty-year-old Cambridge man who had the money to do whatever he desired, but had no material urge to do so; a guy who had little more to give and went out very peacefully (he was up, about, and relatively healthy until the end). A man mostly unrelated to the Crazy Diamond who charged through the late 60s, combined adjectives and nouns regardless of their coherency (MAGNESIUM PROVERBS! HECTACROME PLANE! GIGOLO AUNT!), and then suddenly was fried out.
I think it's a miracle he made sixty, and lived most of his life happily. He deserved it, and I'm happy for him. His friends and fans should be proud of keeping his memory and legacy alive, buying and sending royalties for so long. I suspect had DSotM not allowed Pink Floyd to make people remember him, we not kept coming back to Piper, Dave not included his songs on his later work and Echoes, and all that not sold he wouldn't have lived nearly as well. He gave a great service to us, and we paid him back with thirty years of (mostly) peace, health, respect, and somewhere to stay.
If only the rest of the world was as fair as it was for Syd Barrett. He gave everything, lost the rest, and then it was all paid back plus interest.