Syd Barrett RIP - Pay Respects Here - No New Threads Please!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Syd Barrett RIP

Post by moom »

woody1 wrote::(

BBC news report that Syd barrett is dead

RIP Syd
I got the news yesterday, but couldn't get in the site, somehow...................
No... my mind refuses to accept it... Genious!. MY SOULBROTHER!!! NO! it can not be... not dead... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

yesterday "in memoriam" I played a lot of his tunes from PATGOD and ASOS (Jugband Blues), sang along (my voice is pretty similar)... then WYWH, SOYCD... also "Signs of life" coz of course I'd like him alive. Don't we all.. but this feel of loss never left me, especially when I looked at the sky when singing "Flaming" - he's probably there doing all these things... maybe just tripping... interstellar overdrive... angels still cry in ASOS... and so do I...

His spirit will always be. Be in his works, whatever they are; in us and with us; and we'll always be with him. Read my poem if you'd like more.

I offer 60 (his age) seconds of silence at 13:31 (this is when SOYCD's 1st half ends)=1:31 PM wherever you are. Just do it... for Syd's memory
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

Saint Seiya
Blade
Blade

Post by Saint Seiya »

man i feel like shit. Shine on syd.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Amid all this sorrow, I couldn't even comfort myself with what I've posted earlier (although I stand by it.)
I'd listened to Piper in it's entirety earlier, but I guess I was in shock; it went right over me.
Now, listening to Syd in my right mind has made me feel much better.

One roadblock between me and enjoying his odder moments (when similar behaviors from Lemon Demon and They Might Be Giants have be reeling in laughter/awe) was the fact that he was nuts. Well, the fact that he was STILL nuts, still suffering from what caused him to do something I thought was funny, so I didn't laugh or get too worked up over his loony style.
Now he's not insane anymore. I'm an atheist, I don't believe in heaven or hell, but it's pretty obvious that you can't be insane and a corpse at the same time.
Things are much easier to enjoy in retrospect. Syd went far down to give us those mad lyrics, and hearing them before created a feeling of concern (as he was still in there, although a diffirent man). Now he's free. His short moments of madness (the abrupt shifts in Here I Go, the entirety of Birdie Hop and Gigolo Aunt, his few confused studio remarks) are nice to hear.
I'm relieved that I still love Syd's music; prehaps even more, now that I'm not laughing at a man while he's down.

Also, we didn't really lose someone on Friday. The Syd we learned to love died in the seventies, and clearly wasn't going to do anything more. That Syd is the same now as he was before; his recorded legacy is still here, and it has as high a chance of growing now as it did a week ago. (By "high", I mean "a negative number".)
The man we should be mourning today isn't the man who wrote everything between Lucy Leave/King Bee and Barrett; he went out a long time ago. A very ordinary almost unrelated guy who has detatched himself from that past died a few days ago; a man who lived his life in the best way possible and died peacefully.

We've lost nothing; nothing could be gained by his continued life that most of us would enjoy. (Now, if it turns out he had large plans for his painting and the mysterious History Of Art, I will have an egg on my face.) I just regret that I never got a chance to shake his hand and tell him admire the job he's done rebuilding his life. (Even that might be selfish, as if he really did has Asperger's Syndrome like me I'd understand how that could never lead to comfort.)

There's no better way to die than like that. It was better to fade away than burn out, and Neil Young can kiss my ass.

I think I'm over it. I hope so. I doubt he'd want us to spend all of our time moping about. Besides, his work and influence has lived on without him for the past thirty years, so nothing to worry about there; one of the main reasons I have a terrible fear of mind-altering substances is because I don't want to have ANY Syd moments, or even take the risk. And I'm quite glad I have that fear, thank you very much.

That said, rest in peace, Roger Keith Barrett; the luckiest man alive (or dead). I hope one day I'll have the pleasure of knowing exactly what magnitude a painter and writer we pay our respects to today.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Tenniru, I don't understand you in most things you've said in your post. And I won't comment coz it is YOUR opinion; yet it's far - far away from what I and probably most of us feel. Only one thing I will comment - yes, THAT Syd stayed in the early 70's, but it was still the same guy who died on Friday, get it? THESE hands and HIS mind created those songs. And yes, his spirit will never die

Saint Seiya, he's the Sun, he'll always shine. Yesterday when I looked t the Sun while SOYCD I understood HE is the Sun.
Rest in Peace, Syd :cry:
Nick22
Knife
Knife

Post by Nick22 »

hes with god now
fgrupo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by fgrupo »

Hi everybody...

he reached for "the secret" too soon...

RIP, You will shine on in our hearts

FG
Falco
Axe
Axe

Post by Falco »

Thank Syd for all the emotions.

You'll live forever in my heart with songs as See Emily Play, Astronomy Domine, Late Night, Appels and Oranges, etc.

Peace Syd. :(
mbekkers
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mbekkers »

I was raised with the music of Syd and friends. now a part of me died also.
may Syd shine on forever and ever and ever
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

moom wrote:Tenniru, I don't understand you in most things you've said in your post. And I won't comment coz it is YOUR opinion; yet it's far - far away from what I and probably most of us feel. Only one thing I will comment - yes, THAT Syd stayed in the early 70's, but it was still the same guy who died on Friday, get it? THESE hands and HIS mind created those songs. And yes, his spirit will never die

Saint Seiya, he's the Sun, he'll always shine. Yesterday when I looked t the Sun while SOYCD I understood HE is the Sun.
Yes, that was the same mind and hands who created that music, but the drive and inspiration to do more of that was amid the brian cells burnt away by LSD, Mandrax, stress, and his own detatchment. And since the spirit lives on regardless of it's host, what we lost was... a guy who was finished. As Rosemary Barrett said, this is a diffirent man; Roger, not Syd. I'm not saying we shouldn't mourn him; any loss of life is tragic. This one especially. I'm just saying this isn't as bad as, say, John Lennon or Elvis Presley's deaths. He did everything he could, was satisfied with that, and lived the rest of his life perfectly (give or take a few fingertips and irritating cameramen).
I don't know, maybe I'm just too tired/blinded by grief. I just know that the presence behind Gigolo Aunt and See Emily Play is in the same condition now as it was earlier, or at least that's my enjoyability meter tells me. The "oh, he's gone" feeling I got listening to Preston and Harrison immediately post-death wasn't there. Syd is gone forever, but he was gone forever last Thursday as well.

Roger Keith Barrett's loss, to me, is more immediate. The mind who created many amazing paintings, rebuilt a life from ruins in the late 70s, and reached a kind of life I can only dream of living is gone. That hurts the most, that's what I'm saying; he was one of my personal heroes at that late stage of his life. (Despite my respect for the artistic power of Syd the musician, Syd the person... well, he jumped in a pit of narcotics and never came out. He let people feed LSD to his pet CATS. It's kind of the same reason I respect John Lennon as an artist more than as a person.)

(I'm regarding Syd Barrett 1946-1975 and Roger Keith Barrett 1976-2006 as diffirent people, which according to Rosemary and RKB's own reluctance to acknowledge Syd, they mostly are. Drugs and madness do that kind of thing.)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Tenniru wrote:
moom wrote:Tenniru, I don't understand you in most things you've said in your post. And I won't comment coz it is YOUR opinion; yet it's far - far away from what I and probably most of us feel. Only one thing I will comment - yes, THAT Syd stayed in the early 70's, but it was still the same guy who died on Friday, get it? THESE hands and HIS mind created those songs. And yes, his spirit will never die

Yes, that was the same mind and hands who created that music, but the drive and inspiration to do more of that was amid the brian cells burnt away by LSD, Mandrax, stress, and his own detatchment. And since the spirit lives on regardless of it's host, what we lost was... a guy who was finished. As Rosemary Barrett said, this is a diffirent man; Roger, not Syd. I'm not saying we shouldn't mourn him; any loss of life is tragic. This one especially. I'm just saying this isn't as bad as, say, John Lennon or Elvis Presley's deaths. He did everything he could, was satisfied with that, and lived the rest of his life perfectly (give or take a few fingertips and irritating cameramen).
I don't know, maybe I'm just too tired/blinded by grief. I just know that the presence behind Gigolo Aunt and See Emily Play is in the same condition now as it was earlier, or at least that's my enjoyability meter tells me. The "oh, he's gone" feeling I got listening to Preston and Harrison immediately post-death wasn't there. Syd is gone forever, but he was gone forever last Thursday as well.

Roger Keith Barrett's loss, to me, is more immediate. The mind who created many amazing paintings, rebuilt a life from ruins in the late 70s, and reached a kind of life I can only dream of living is gone. That hurts the most, that's what I'm saying; he was one of my personal heroes at that late stage of his life. (Despite my respect for the artistic power of Syd the musician, Syd the person... well, he jumped in a pit of narcotics and never came out. He let people feed LSD to his pet CATS. It's kind of the same reason I respect John Lennon as an artist more than as a person.)

(I'm regarding Syd Barrett 1946-1975 and Roger Keith Barrett 1976-2006 as diffirent people, which according to Rosemary and RKB's own reluctance to acknowledge Syd, they mostly are. Drugs and madness do that kind of thing.)
as long as it's not a bad one, having your own opinion is okay :)
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Syd, it's the saddest day...

But only because of the sorrow of the ones you leave behind.
I'm sure you have found a better place to shine now.
I wish you the best, wherever you are.

My respect and compassion goes out to all who loved you.
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

Johnny Walker on BBC Radio 2 this morning opened his show with a Syd tribute.

Played See Emily Play then SOYCD.
Johnny Walker has always been a Floyd lover...well done Sir.
thecrazyd69
Embryo
Embryo

Roger "syd" Barrett

Post by thecrazyd69 »

Heaven will be a brighter place with you there Syd - Shine On You Crazy Diamond !

You weaved a dream in the light of the dawn,
You were a genius and poet before i was born,
Your legacy transcends the decades and years,
And now you?ve left us alone, lost and in tears,
You sadly lost your mind when you were alive
And your soul went on an interstellar overdrive
So now you?re a part of the great gig in the sky,
You play with the piper while learning to fly,
So set the controls for the heart of the sun,
A pillow of winds - you?re time has come,
Keep shining on you Crazy D,
Cos your name will echo through eternity...............

The crazy d 8/07/2006

:( :( :( :( :( :(
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

Sad to see you go Syd, but I'm guessing its been quite a tough few years since your Mum died just keeping it together.

I hope your spirit is now at some sort of peace.

Oh, and thank-you for the peephole into another dimension that you gave us all through your art.

<3