Nick Mason - is it just me or...

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You just have to listen to Nick on the Capital Radio 6 part documentary to pick up on his early attitude!! He thought he was amazing! Get back in your box I say! :lol:

http://www.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/featu ... hp?p=1&n=1
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

i miss the moustache.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

my breakfast. wrote:
ObscuredEchoes wrote:YES!!! It WAS quite impressive!!! And I think he is the LEAST vain, of all the boys- definitely the most down-to-earth, level-headed, and personable.... and what a wicked sense of humour! Personally, I think Nick's all that, AND a bag of chips! :P
How can you say any of that if you don't actually know him? THis is always a personal annoyance to me, is when a forum member goes "Roger/Dave/whoever would do this..." or "Its Obvious Roger/Dave/whoever is trying to..."

Y'know?
Don't get your panties in a wad, there, sweetheart.... If you'll look again at my post, you'll see that I said "I think", thereby stating that it is simply my opinion... I never said that he "would do this", or that it's "obvious he's trying to...".....whatever..... Get off my ass, and get a life! :roll:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:
my breakfast. wrote: How can you say any of that if you don't actually know him? THis is always a personal annoyance to me, is when a forum member goes "Roger/Dave/whoever would do this..." or "Its Obvious Roger/Dave/whoever is trying to..."

Y'know?
Don't get your panties in a wad, there, sweetheart.... If you'll look again at my post, you'll see that I said "I think", thereby stating that it is simply my opinion... I never said that he "would do this", or that it's "obvious he's trying to...".....whatever..... Get off my ass, and get a life! :roll:
Way to put the child in his place lil sis,should have smacked him a little harded though.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:Get off my ass, and get a life! :roll:
Technically that post wasn't directed at you. :roll:

And Flashback? I never said anything to you!
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

tea-set wrote:cheers teniru, i wasnt having a dig or anything i just anted you to explain and that you did :D
A good fact to know: When Tenniru makes a very long post, he's likely not angry. In fact, he's likely very happy because he enjoys writing up long posts. It's a hobby.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

MyBreakfast- If that wasn't directed at me, WHY DID YOU QUOTE ME???
Regardless of it's "technical" direction, it was still an unfair and unprovoked attack...
Relax- this is where we come to UNwind... :D
chrisroach
Embryo
Embryo

Post by chrisroach »

Personally I think Nick is one of the most underrated drummers in rock history. I've been playing for close to 10 years and still find some of his licks pretty difficult. I think they're great becasue his technical parts are not in your face, but if you're listening for them, you'll hear it and I find his fills stand out just as much as a Steve Gadd or Dave Weckyl, in the uniqueness category.

Did the other guys really do a lot of drugs? I know it'd probably ben asked 1000x over but it's pretty interesting. I honestly believed for some reason that they didn't use hard drugs.

I don't know why I'd think that but it made sence in my head some how made sence even though they were giant rock stars, and basicaly pioneered the Space Rock scene.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

ObscuredEchoes wrote:MyBreakfast- If that wasn't directed at me, WHY DID YOU QUOTE ME???
I was using your post as an example.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

Did the other guys really do a lot of drugs? I know it'd probably ben asked 1000x over but it's pretty interesting. I honestly believed for some reason that they didn't use hard drugs
As far as I know they were never big on hard drugs. Barrett was mainly into spliff and LSD early on, and then just spliff up 'til about '71.
The others tended only to do alcohol, nicotine and spliff, all of which they were definately still doing in 1970. There is a 37 minute informal interview from September '70 in circulation where they are actively smoking "North American weed".

That's all I know from the top of my head that I can say for sure.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: Nick Mason - is it just me or...

Post by moom »

TheLazenby wrote:Does Nick get ripped on more than any other member??

Come on, what'd he ever do? He's just the friendly drummer / nurse / architect who wrote a nice book about the band...

If you're gonna pick on someone, pick on Rick, just because he's Rick Wright and everyone in the band already did!
Nick - a nurse?

and don't go picking on Rick, plz, it's not fair ;)
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I reckon Rick holds his own ok. Any of them could have been sacked at some point if the others ganged up on them. If Rick's inspired to do something he's more than capable.

I wonder if they got to pick on Steve O'!
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

NAH! I think that Steve was the glue that often held them together.... :wink:
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

I was wathcing The Embryo from the San Tropez video. Nick does some very good rimshots in there! I am impressed!
chrisroach
Embryo
Embryo

Post by chrisroach »

my breakfast. wrote:I was wathcing The Embryo from the San Tropez video. Nick does some very good rimshots in there! I am impressed!
Assuming that you're being sarcastic I'll have to ask, how do you determine a good musician? Nick obviously doesn't have the skill of say Buddy Rich or Mr. Peart, but the man is certainly talented.

He has is own style of playing which is very minimalistic for the most part, but that doesn't make him any less talented. In the same video you refer to, Nick lets go a few very solid fills.

If you're not a drummer you really shouldn't comment, because you obviously don't understand that playing a set without too much frilly stuff is pretty difficult. He has great control of his abilities and plays within them, but at the same time still pushing the boundaries.