The Wall Live (2010-2013) Blu-ray/DVD

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
UsNotThem
Blade
Blade

Re: The Wall Live (2010-2013) Blu-ray/DVD

Post by UsNotThem »

The trailer has been released via Rolling Stone website, but here's a YouTube link for convenience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKMJ6H9SSms

God, I've just got goosebumps. Takes me right back to Wembley in September 2013.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

it's a really cool teaser video. unfortunately, we sat (my decision) by the sound board here in Vancouver, and it was noticeably quiet. we could have a normal volume conversation with each other 1-2 people apart even. my buddy had way cheaper tickets up in the nosebleeds, and he said it was the best concert sound he'd ever experienced (he's a metal drummer, for reference).
I saw Roger in mexico city a few years ago and it was somewhat the same experience, albeit every time with impressive surround sound (meyer sound for the mexico show speakers btw). I saw him in Edmonton and it was better, but still not impressive. I'm not one for loudness for the sake of it, but having to be quite (and the people around you too) to be able to enjoy it is a bit much. there's ways to be louder without destroying ear drums, especially with the production that they have. it's not the symphony.

in other news, looking forward to this disc. will check out the movie at my local (not so local actually) theatre in september.

anyone think there's ANY chance that they will use comfortably numb with gilmour? hope never dies... but this is really a cover band (pandora's box: opened) with roger playing guitar or bass about half the time, and double-tracking his vocals when necessary (more often than not, and he's not famous for his singing voice, albeit impressive range back in the day). far from attacking, my point is, if I had been in the band at the time, I'd feel like, hey, those are our songs, that's my guitar/drum part. it's kind of an anti-climax for me even to be around when these shows were re-done with more modern technology etc, but now it's a different band doing it. oh well.
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

^^^
My understanding is the 'film' version does NOT feature the David Gilmour appearance in May 2011 ... here's hoping they decide to add as a bonus item on the Blu-ray release.

:)
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

^ And from what I've seen of the performance on You Tube, the music got drowned out by the screaming of the audience.
So I can understand why it might not be included in the final cut!
kjek1
Hammer
Hammer

Post by kjek1 »

Is there any actual confirmation of a blu-ray? Feels like we've been waiting far too long.

Wembley 2013 was definitely one of the greatest nights of my life.
TheEndlessWaters
Axe
Axe
Location: Marooned On An Island. Take a guess which one it is.

Post by TheEndlessWaters »

Djgilmour
Blade
Blade

Post by Djgilmour »

roger should release the 35mm original wall tapes but he hates the fans too much to do that, he would rather spit in their faces and make an album about it.
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Pink Floyd’s 'The Wall' was originally released in 1979, a double concept album about a rock star, Pink, who, while facing up to the loss of his father, abuse at school and divorce, feels increasingly isolated from the world, eventually closing himself off behind a metaphorical wall. The band toured it at the time, it was turned into a film by Alan Parker, and more recently Roger Waters’ production of the show became the most successful solo tour in history.

On September 29, a new film, which features footage recorded between 2010 and 2013, interspersed with Roger on a road trip with former Floyd band mate Nick Mason, will be shown in cinemas worldwide for one night only. We spoke to Roger about it.

The Wall is released in cinemas this month. When did you have the idea to make a film?

"2011, about midway through the tour. It was going well, and we'd developed it. I thought to allow it to go by without filming it would be stupid. That’s when I had the idea of the road trip element, and
then it really started taking shape."

What else can you do with 'The Wall'?

"We've done workshops with it as a theatrical piece, and I suspect we'll see it sooner rather than later. I've been working with Lee Hall, who did Billy Elliot, writers and producers, and I think that team will put it on the stage first in London, then New York and then maybe it'll tour. People have been reduced to both laughter and tears in the workshops, which is a great sign."

How will it work?

"Definitely more story and dialogue. And some humour. One of the reasons I've been interested in doing a musical is that, so far, none of the incarnations of 'The Wall' show off the fact that I like a bit of a laugh. Without that it would be gruelling."

Did you ever think it’d have this long a life?

"No. The very first idea was just a wall. We were going to start a gig, and build across the stage as it went on and by the end you wouldn't be able to see the band. That was deemed, quite rightly by all of us, too harsh. It had to be more eloquent."

'The Wall' came to you after a concert in Montreal, when you appalled yourself by spitting at members of the crowd for being so noisy near the stage. The album was you exploring isolation and frustration. Did making the album solve those feelings?

"I don't know, maybe it did, maybe it didn't. It was definitely satisfying because it expressed personal feelings of alienation, and how debilitating it can be. Then I realised that my personal story was a metaphor for wider sociological and political concerns that I was having, and that lots of other people were having too."

Will you be touring it again?

"No. I say that because I'm halfway through making another album, which I'm very excited about. If I tour again – I might have one more in me – it would be to tour that music, a show of new stuff interspersed with old songs from my repertoire."

Did you think the tour was going to be such a success?

"No. Not until I'd got as far as the full rehearsal at the Isleworth Centre some months before the tour started. Until then I didn't know whether I'd managed to bridge the gap between then personal narrative and something with more universal meaning."

You probably get asked if Pink Floyd will be reforming all the time...

"Shall we not? Let's not. No, no no. I think the answer is no."
http://www.nme.com/blogs/nme-blogs/roge ... tI3eRF9.99

The link also contains an "exclusive clip" of the new film and... "The Wall" as a stage show with jokes?

See how it goes!
twcc
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by twcc »

I have my VIP ticket in hand for tomorrow night (at Exeter) and I note with a smile that the name of the event is "Roger Wate" (sic) ... I kid you not the promoter has missed both the 'r' and the 's' off the surname. There would have been plenty of space to call it "The Wall" so why the name is truncated is anyone's guess.

](*,)
Wolfpack
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Wolfpack »

Maybe the artist really is Roger Wate, with his tour 'The Wa',
and you have the wrong tickets. :P
TickledPink
Embryo
Embryo

Post by TickledPink »

Well that was a bit good!
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

ROGER WATERS THE WALL is the greatest concert movie of all time.
It's better than Live At Pompeii (Ed Sheeren doing concert gigs? It's just some prick with an acoustic and pre-recorded shit) The Song That Remains The Same and that.
You've probably seen stuff at the theatre but as you haven't seen this movie on a screen then you've missed out tonight!
And being North West England there was only one drunk who got excited! (I sat on the other side of the theatre so result!)
Now I only mimed along to "Don't Leave Me Now" (And I was word perfect, naturally!), I didn't air guitar in my seat either, but I suppose I too would have gone for it like that man if I was more out of it.
But the thing was... He was clapping and getting excited over the parts of The Wall where it goes fascist! So... Maybe it was a good job his friend walked him out of the showing!
But yeah, what a fucking movie. I only noticed my bottom jaw had lowered because I noticed it was trembling with emotion.

No Manifesto - A Film About Manic Street Preachers is still the best documentary from this year (Seeing as nobody wants to admit "Soaked In Bleach") but "Roger Waters The Wall" is the greatest concert movie of all time.
Although I've heard the album and seen the Alan Parker movie (And Berlin), seeing The Wall in full (And not only that be reimagined!).
Nothing has come close to The Wall and nothing probably will ever again.
The real downside of this post is I will never enjoy the film as much on DVD as it won't be on a screen.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

It was good and there were even tears from Roger. Hopefully when it gets released on dvd you will be able to select a version with just the concert and not the bits of Roger/Family/Friends wandering around Europe looking for gravestones and memorials. The bit with Roger and Nick answering questions cleared out most of the audience and Like JDB I will get the dvd but probably never play it as you could never match the quality of what you see and hear in the cinema.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

It was different. It's not about a disappointed rock star any more, now it's a story of a sad old man tearing down some of his walls, probably too late. Very moving at moments. 'The Simple Facts' was a nice counterpoint, adding a touch of humor for balance. Either way, really good.
FreeFour
Knife
Knife

Post by FreeFour »

The Simple Facts feature was very entertaining, there's a great rapport between Roger & Nick and some of the questions were excellent and very funny !