New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Re: New Pink Floyd Album 'The Endless River'

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Hadrian wrote:I just noticed this page for Louder Than Words promotional single, stating 14 October 2014 as the release date. Is this a physical release, i.e. is it a 1-track promo CD sent to radio stations? It seems that it has a cover.
RonToon says it's b.s., debunked by PF's manager, Paul Loasby.
Hadrian
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Hadrian »

Hm. I am trying to find more info on this, and I found this listing online. If the promo single for radio stations is a fabrication, where is that cover coming from?
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

raisemyrent wrote:the rich 'could sing a lullaby and in fact has' baritone of Gilmour
:lol: There's nothing better than to start a day with a good laugh.
Hadrian wrote:I just noticed this page for Louder Than Words promotional single, stating 14 October 2014 as the release date. Is this a physical release, i.e. is it a 1-track promo CD sent to radio stations? It seems that it has a cover.
I don't know if there will be a physical release, but there do seem to be two versions of the song in circulation: the shorter radio edit (4:40) which was premiered last week and the longer album version (6:37) that leaked a couple of days ago and is currently residing on my phone. 8)

The album version has a longer intro and longer verses.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Just joining this thread now, so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere:
In the Endless River special edition, does the Blu-Ray contain anything that the DVD lacks?
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

BertWW96 wrote:Just joining this thread now, so apologies if this has been answered elsewhere:
In the Endless River special edition, does the Blu-Ray contain anything that the DVD lacks?
Nope, they're nearly identical, except the blu-ray, of course, has the hi-res audio mixes.
Kerry King
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Kerry King »

raisemyrent wrote: but he has resorted to double tracking lately, which means something has gone wrong and he wants to ensure that the performance is not ruined, while still singing live.
Which ruins the performance. But let's face it, it's all about video projections, expensive lights and nostalgia.
And don't even try to deny the lip syncing.

Just because Waters can hit an E5 does not make him a strong singer. He was destroying his throat any time he hit that E5. That's why it sounds so cool. The man was shredding his vocal chords. And it's not like he's hitting all those other notes in between with ease.
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

Kerry King wrote:
raisemyrent wrote: but he has resorted to double tracking lately, which means something has gone wrong and he wants to ensure that the performance is not ruined, while still singing live.
Which ruins the performance. But let's face it, it's all about video projections, expensive lights and nostalgia.
And don't even try to deny the lip syncing.

Just because Waters can hit an E5 does not make him a strong singer. He was destroying his throat any time he hit that E5. That's why it sounds so cool. The man was shredding his vocal chords. And it's not like he's hitting all those other notes in between with ease.
well that's your impression. I had a similar impression actually. But it's a personal thing. I'm just saying it's neither quite singing live nor quite lyp syncing, and clearly a sign of something not being what it used to be.
Vocal deterioration due to high notes etc is speculation I try to stay away from (remember the tone deaf rumours?) because I just don't know for sure (though very likely according to my soprano better half).
Agreed on the high notes do not a good singer make. *cough* Ashley Holt *cough*

p.s. flank (and lot), I haven't been able to find it. Apologies. In my defence, I'm still struggling with literal Brain Damage from a relatively recent spectacular car accident. So perhaps it was before AMLOR and not TDB? Memory is hazy. I shall keep perusing Inside Out (also tough in my present condition), for now, this is what I did find so far (maybe I mixed 2 sections up):

“The songs had been through a substantial sifting process. There was plenty of material and no desperation; instead we were able to simply concentrate on developing ideas. At band meetings we now started whittling down the possible songs to the probables. We set up an extremely democratic system whereby David, Rick and I would each award marks out of ten for each song, regardless of who had originally generated the piece. This should have worked smoothly, had Rick not misinterpreted the democratic principles underlying the voting system. He simply awarded all of his ideas the full ten points, and everything else got nul points. This meant that all of Rick’s
pieces had a ten-point head start, and it took David and me a while to work out why this new album was rapidly becoming a Rick Wright magnum opus. The voting system was placed under review, as we came up with various systems of electoral colleges and second preference votes that would have graced any mayoral contest.”
Excerpt From: Nick Mason. “Inside Out.”

to me that still might say that there were more Wright songs for TDB that went unused in the end. I'm on the hunt for the rest (if it's indeed there).
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

TheFloydian1 wrote:
RonToon says it's b.s., debunked by PF's manager, Paul Loasby.
This occurred to me this morning: there may not in fact be a physical release but instead it's the date when the song is officially made public.

I mean, they can't stop it from leaking now. It's already out there. The fact that it's not on YouTube doesn't prevent anyone from downloading it from somewhere and removing the download link doesn't prevent people who already downloaded it from copying it further.

So must best guess is that the song will appear on Pink Floyd's official YouTube channel some time today, and there may or may not be a physical release also.
BertWW96
Blade
Blade

Post by BertWW96 »

Can anyone make out what the voice is saying around 6:04 of the long version (of LTW, if it isn't obvious)?
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

BertWW96 wrote:Can anyone make out what the voice is saying around 6:04 of the long version (of LTW, if it isn't obvious)?
I've heard some folks state that it says "It's been great."
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFE0wDxSLPs

Track identified as "Louder Than Words" but actually isn't that track. Let's see how long this one stays up. If it even is Pink Floyd!
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

If that's Pink Floyd, I'm Syd Barrett.
TheFloydian1
Blade
Blade

Post by TheFloydian1 »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFE0wDxSLPs

Track identified as "Louder Than Words" but actually isn't that track. Let's see how long this one stays up. If it even is Pink Floyd!
Look at all dem gullible viewers. Surprised the viewcount reached that far.
flank
Embryo
Embryo

Post by flank »

raisemyrent wrote:
p.s. flank (and lot), I haven't been able to find it. Apologies. In my defence, I'm still struggling with literal Brain Damage from a relatively recent spectacular car accident. So perhaps it was before AMLOR and not TDB? Memory is hazy. I shall keep perusing Inside Out (also tough in my present condition), for now, this is what I did find so far (maybe I mixed 2 sections up): ...to me that still might say that there were more Wright songs for TDB that went unused in the end. I'm on the hunt for the rest (if it's indeed there).
[/quote]

I've read 'Inside out' and all I could find was the 'voting' issue. I really thought I saw a post either here or at the Hoffman forum that had Rick saying in an interview something along the lines of 'I wasn't that happy with the song selections on TDB, there were other songs I wanted to finish but we ran out of time. I want to go back and revisit those other songs either as a PF album or i'll do it on a solo album...'

If it wasn't a post it was either a dream or I'm losing it :?
raisemyrent
Knife
Knife

Post by raisemyrent »

agreed. I don't know. I have blanks in my memory where I can strain for days to think of something but it never comes to me. Then someone helps and it was there all along. I tell myself that I didn't lose anything permanently, but no point overthinking that.
I had an epiphany and thought it was in here:
http://www.davidgilmour.com/press/2008/ ... mber08.pdf

perhaps I did mix up 2 different Rick comments on 2 different situations.

I did tab out Louder Than Words. Prepare for a long post!

This is all based on the short version that was aired by the BBC.

Intro
C#m - B - A - D

Verse 1
D
We bitch and we fight
diss each other on sight
Am
but this thing we do
D
these times together
rain or shine
the stormy weather
Am
this thing we do
D
with world-weary grace
we’ve taken our places
Am
we could curse it or nurse it and give it a name

Chorus
B
it’s louder than words
this thing that we
A
do
louder than words
the way it
C#m
unfurls
B
it’s louder than words
the sum of our parts
A
the beat of our hearts
it’s louder than
C#m
words
louder than words
F#

Pink Floyd Mid-Song Silence ©
D

Verse 2
D
the strings bend and slide
as the hours glide by
Am
an old pair of shoes
your favourite blues
gonna tap out the rhythm
D
let’s go with the flow wherever it goes
Am
we’re more than alive

Chorus
B
it’s louder than words
this thing that we
A
do
louder than words
the way it
C#m
unfurls
B
it’s louder than words
the sum of our parts
A
the beat of our hearts
it’s louder than
C#m
words
louder than words
F#

Second Silence
D

Guitar Solo
D - Am - D - Am- B - A - C#m - B - A - C#m - F#

Outro
E

Notes:
- The sung melody lines straddle chords a little
- The songs seems to be in C#m, making it a
- i - VII - VI at the Intro and
- VII - VI - i - IV for the Chorus and Solo
- This would mean that it modulates to D for the Verses and Silences, on a I - v. This chord relationship (I - v or i - IV) is used in 2 different ways in this song, is a bit unorthodox, and is all over the Dark Side and appears in other Pink Floyd works (I can only think of Shine On right now), and sounds very ‘ethereal’ or ‘elegant’ (think the beginning of Breathe). To me, either variation emphasizes the second chord without feeling like as big an interval.
- The piano intro and melody lines can be determined from the chords relatively easily
- Gilmour’s solo modulates with the chords
- The song ends in the relative major without really resolving or making a Picardy Third either
edit- The C#m - B - A passage (minor, major, major, descending 2 semitones) is reminiscent of Comfortably Numb, Marooned, and Us and Them, to name a few (though not as apparent as in those other songs, hence my hindsight addition here).