PULSE DVD Discussions - Official NPF Thread!!!

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Im enjoying this loads
even though a version of this was released on videotape 12 years ago, this counts as a major archival release, the first biggie since that LiveWall album, so we should all be buying it if only to demonstrate demand for archival releases
I skipped the 94 tour because a: I was pissed roger didnt tour, and b: I was poor (and c: I wasnt so impressed by the 87 tour, and d: knew that BC Place Stadium was a shitty place to see a concert), thus this is all new to me

seeing a film of a live Dark Side perfomance is indeed much more interesting than listening to the live album. The live album version always seemed redundant, and fuelled my bias against this tour, but to see the visual document is a revelation, esp since all we have of the "real" thing is those crappy super8 fragments from the 70s
compared to Rogers Berlin Wall its a very satisfying forgery

also: all those Mr Screen films included as bonus tracks are worthy of obsessive repeated viewings - that new animation for Time is full of intricate Escheresque detail, and that lengthy liveaction film for Shine On is quite the elaborate production as well, Id imagine the work that went into that was comparable to The Wall film...
so a question: is that building the character enters London's Crystal Palace?
if Im reading Wikipedia correctly, that building was actually destroyed before WWII, but it sure is a nice building whatever it is...

2nd question: are these the Dark Side films that rogers using for his current tour?
I remember reading he had to ask for permission to use some films, and I couldnt figure that cuz hed been using the Money film and an old Brain Damage film when I saw him back in 84, but this new Time film is so awesome itd be worth the humiliation of begging Dave to please let him borrow it for his tour
also this makes me wonder even more about the "coincidence" of Roger doing a DarkSide tour just as the longawaited LiveFloydDVD gets its release:
there must have been some backroom deals allowing that, and perhaps thats one reason none of the live TV broadcasts of Rogers tour have included the 2nd set?
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

You can actually see videos of Roger's concerts on YouTube. All the films are different except he uses the old version of Time from the '70s. I really like the end of Eclipse especially. No flying airplane at the end of On The Run unfortunately...I hope he adds one before the Hollywood Bowl. ;)

Another strange editing choice on Pulse: They took out all those composite images with the enlarged Mr. Screen on the right and performer superimposed on the left (as it was on VHS), EXCEPT for I think one shot during Great Gig. The editing on this is just so bizarre...heh. I think a lot of the editing was taken from the previously edited VHS master, thus losing a generation...the parts from VHS that had the screen superimposed with performers are different and seem to have direct cuts rather than dissolves between shots...so I think those shots are probably one generation higher than the others...hopefully they didn't really do it that way but that's how it looks to me....

(I don't mean the DVD was actually recorded from VHS, just the master tape used for the VHS version....)
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

The only instance of "performer on left, screen on right" I remember was during Shine On's intro, where Rick was playing his intro and the screen was right in front of him. I didn't like that editing; they didn't even bother editing in the real film, just the camera pointed at Mr. Screen.
I'm glad those instances were mostly removed. We have the whole films as bonus features now, so we don't need long shots of those.

Out of curiosity, what does this bode for the Harvested Video Anthology? Now that it contains hefty amounts of official material, is it time for Revision A to come out losing what's on PULSE and adding what's recently surfaced (and possibly the bits of DryFloyd that PULSE didn't capture)?
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

The lights around the screen during the intro was what totally made it though.
Thommie
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Thommie »

Freddie Mercury wrote:The lights around the screen during the intro was what totally made it though.
I totally agree :)
illwind
Embryo
Embryo

Post by illwind »

Just picked up Pink Floyd's DVD Pulse.

Totally amazing! :D

I am still watching it, now into the 12th hour!

Regards,

Illwind
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

Is the DVD really different from the Pulse Video ????
floyderrun
Embryo
Embryo

Post by floyderrun »

IMHO the best version was the 20.10.94 direct-TV reprise that's the no-edited one... unfortunately I gave it to a friend of mine just before buying the VHS version... nah

I've seen the DVD version almost entirely at a video-shop through a High-end audio-video set and I can affirm that the audio section is very astonishing while the video editing is often criticable... and why they deleted the incredible version of Astronomy Domine... I saw/listened to it twice in Turin and Rome as the first gig of the show and IMHO it worthed by itself the whole concert price.

Marco
Rob Steele
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Rob Steele »

I bought the new DVD on the day of release in NZ and have found the sound and quality to be exceptional. Have owned a release that I bought in Bali two years ago and the difference is great,for Bali that is.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

http://www.sanity.com.au/product/dvd_mu ... ku=-964842

My online review is on that page, down the bottom.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Great review Jambo :) Precise and to the point.
Duncan Maitland
Axe
Axe

Post by Duncan Maitland »

Just got the PULSE DVD yesterday - very enjoyable..... and the 5.1 is awesome!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Re: shoot guy pratt

Post by moom »

[Jon] wrote:
makazefloyd wrote:Watch live8, watch the rehearsals, Gilmore finds what he's been missing, as does Roger.

Obviously... But then y doesnt Gilmour want to put on a show w/ Floyd??

Last time i heard, Gilmour had said "Been there, done that"
I told this before and will tell it again - I don't understand David. If he wants to get over PF, why he plays their songs and collaborate a lot with another PF key member, Richard!?
as for Guy... on Friday night watched Friday Rock Show (=VH1 Rocks) on VH1, and CN was on. Guy isn't bad at all, he was jus really young... and of course he's no Waters
oldhippy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by oldhippy »

J Ed your right that building is the Crystal Palace. The Crystal Palace itself was destroyed by fire on November 30th 1936,
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

oldhippy wrote:J Ed your right that building is the Crystal Palace. The Crystal Palace itself was destroyed by fire on November 30th 1936,
so howd it get to be in the film then?
did Storm rebuild it? or is it another building that looks very similar?
interesting what I learned in the Wikipedia entry - that was the site of the The Great Exhibition (original Worlds Fair 1851), at the height of the Industrial Revolution, therefor an embodiment of societys hopes for an optimistic future in which technology can solve everything,
kind of appropriate to the story thats being told