the hammers

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

David Smith wrote:On Abbey Road Maxwell's Silver Hammer is definitly my least favourite. It'a much in the style of Octopus' Garden and things, basically joke songs, which can be funny until it occurs to you that you spent like a tenner on the album.
I take your point but I think Maxwell is very different to Octopus. The latter just plain sucks whereas Maxwell sounds like a harmless tune but in actual fact, listening the the words, it's quite horrific and disturbing. I like songs with layers.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

decampos wrote:
David Smith wrote:On Abbey Road Maxwell's Silver Hammer is definitly my least favourite. It'a much in the style of Octopus' Garden and things, basically joke songs, which can be funny until it occurs to you that you spent like a tenner on the album.
I take your point but I think Maxwell is very different to Octopus. The latter just plain sucks whereas Maxwell sounds like a harmless tune but in actual fact, listening the the words, it's quite horrific and disturbing. I like songs with layers.
Much of Steely Dan is like that. Very light and jazzy music. Sound very happy, when in reality they are dark and twisted.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The hammers also represent a paradox...they are both constructive AND destructive...just depends on how you use them.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

mosespa wrote:The hammers also represent a paradox...they are both constructive AND destructive...just depends on how you use them.
Now THAT is an interesting philisophy you got there. Impressive.
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

Other than the DSOTM prism, it's almost a PF logo. It's on most of the T-shirts and flags (including AHM cow, flaming back from WYWH, bricks and TDB heads).
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

Huh wow thanks for all the info! Staying on the subject of PF symbolism, I've also wondered about this Thorgerson image (I've been a fan of his works for some time now) that I've seen associated with the Floyd called the "Millennium Tree" with this tree shaped like the profile of a man's head. Anyone know what that's all about?
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Piper wrote:Huh wow thanks for all the info! Staying on the subject of PF symbolism, I've also wondered about this Thorgerson image (I've been a fan of his works for some time now) that I've seen associated with the Floyd called the "Millennium Tree" with this tree shaped like the profile of a man's head. Anyone know what that's all about?
Well, my Mind Over Matter book/bible gives its title as "Tree Of Half Life". Apparently it was used to promote the back catalogue reissues of 1997. :)
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

I always thought of the Hammers as the working class being turned into mindless zombies and what not.... :?: #-o
madcap69
Hammer
Hammer

Post by madcap69 »

[quote="David Smith"]On Abbey Road Maxwell's Silver Hammer is definitly my least favourite. It'a much in the style of Octopus' Garden and things, basically joke songs, which can be funny until it occurs to you that you spent like a tenner on the album.[/quote]

What a Tenner?, Is it like ten dollers in the states
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

Either that or
Ten`ner- n.

The cardinal number that is the sum of nine and one; the base of the decimal system .

Informal. A ten-dollar bill.
Chiefly British. A ten-pound note.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Yep, "tenner" means "ten pounds". :) Guess what "fiver" means? :wink:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:Yep, "tenner" means "ten pounds". :) Guess what "fiver" means? :wink:
Five pounds? :shock: :lol:
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

SydsMadcapGirl wrote:
Feeling Very Pink wrote:Yep, "tenner" means "ten pounds". :) Guess what "fiver" means? :wink:
Five pounds? :shock: :lol:
Almost, but not quite! It's actually slang for "My monkey is sitting in a tree".

:wink: :lol:
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

Oh! My...

You were just waiting and waiting for someone to answer that, huh? LOL...
Meddler
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Meddler »

LOL.... "so charlie how are things? Not so good, remember about the
'fiver' accident? Yeah..."