General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Neil

Post by Neil »

The Final Cut.. not even close for me.
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

I think some of this has to do with your entry point into being a Floyd fan. For example, I started listening in the early 80's. I think that tends to breed a Roger bias. And maybe not even a time base thing, as much as what material did you listen to first. I started with The Wall myself. As I was just starting to really listen to Floyd, they released TFC.

By bias says TFC is better. More the like the sound I first fell in love with, and also not commercial at all. (alright, maybe Not Now John tried to be a little commercial)
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote: (alright, maybe Not Now John tried to be a little commercial)
I really love that song. I don't get why people dislike it so much..? :-s
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

Some people seem to dislike its place on the album, ie, coming straight after the devastating last lines of 'The Final Cut'... I've never had a problem with it, though. I think it's brilliant.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

I like its place, though. I think it's kind of appropriate in the way that you're all lost in space...then that song comes in and kicks your *** back into reality. It's greatness!
dogs_pigs_n_sheep
Knife
Knife

Post by dogs_pigs_n_sheep »

Yeah, if has a real good Roger feel to it, those two being next to each other. The song TFC is the soring and depressed Rog sound, while NNJ is the butt kicking, screaming Rog. And the flow from his depression into the "Get on with it" attitude suits the album pretty well.

This is only a little different from the kind of flow he had on PaCoHH, where the album drifts up and down in sound, mood, and tempo.

I really love Roger's work.
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

dogs_pigs_n_sheep wrote:I really love Roger's work.
:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
movement
Axe
Axe

I hardly listen to either now, but I'll take TDB

Post by movement »

I think I would give the nod to The Division Bell now, only because it has more very strong tracks. I have never been able to identify a great track on The Final Cut. There are some good ones, but no great ones IMHO. Even though TDB has perhaps the worst song in the PF catalogue, Lost For Words, songs like High Hopes, Keep Talking, and WDYWFM in particular still sound good a decade later.

However, when I am in that mood when I am this ->] [<- close to slitting my wrists, TFC works quite nicely. :roll:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Considering that TFC is, IMHYOO, Roger's greatest lyrical achievement and TDB has ZERO Roger lyrics on it...I'd have to go with

TFC.
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

What does the other YO stand for?

I feel TFC cut definitly. TDB had potentiol but unlike TFC is was just a standard album, TFC sounds like nothing else and is quite definitly the bleakest album i can think of. It was strong lyrically than TDB with more quality playing.

TDB was like Dave shoiwng how good a musician he could be with bith his epic guitar sound and his epic voice, yet TFC was so much more. it sounds more personal to Roger, the songs are enjoyably dry and the vocals are to die for. TFC was a brilliant album and seemed like the last progression for the band, as if the career had built up to that album.
Feeling Very Pink
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Feeling Very Pink »

David Smith wrote:What does the other YO stand for?
Yet outspoken? :-s
Last edited by Feeling Very Pink on Mon May 12, 2003 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pugs on the Wing
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Pugs on the Wing »

David Smith wrote:TFC was a brilliant album and seemed like the last progression for the band, as if the career had built up to that album.
And it ended with Nuclear annihilation, can you beat that?

The end.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Feeling Very Pink wrote:
Yet outspoken? :-s
Yep.

Good call.
Spinoza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spinoza »

TFC was a brilliant album and seemed like the last progression for the band, as if the career had built up to that album.
IMO TFC is lyrically a built up, but musically rather poor and little Floydian.
Richter_M.
Knife
Knife

Post by Richter_M. »

That's a real toughie for me. I think TFC is the single greatest lyrical achievement of all "modern" music, so I'd prolly have to say it's the better album...but that wasn't the question. I think I might like TDB a little bit more.