So David Gilmour does not make music for other people ???

All discussion related specifically to David Gilmour.
drn24
Axe
Axe

Post by drn24 »

I have to side with David here, although he certainly could have phrased his comments better. They sound a little harsh. He toured relentlessly for 23 years, I'd say he doesn't owe us anything anymore.

I went to several MLOR and division Bell tours and felt so diconnected from the music. I'm looking forward to the small venue.
mdp963
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mdp963 »

nosaj wrote:I respect Gilmour more for this new album and tour, than bringing out the Rogerless Pig Floyd.
So do I ....furthermore I respect his viewpoint that he makes music for himself

Perhaps he wishes to share it with others by means of a CD but why bother to tour at all if the music was purely for himself and not the people

I believe I know what he was trying to say ..... that at his age etc etc he does not want to do a bigs arena tour tour - too much effort and energy required ....... fine no problem at all but he could have put it better
mdp963
Embryo
Embryo

Post by mdp963 »

Sigh. He could have sold the tour out ten times over. Probably more. He could have taken the hundreds of millions of dollars offered to get Pink Floyd back on the road. He could have kept the royalties resulting from the sales boost after Live 8. He could have slapped the Pink Floyd name on On An Island...
Sigh - yes I know he could have done all that and more and in some cases he has in the past agreed or benefited from purely commercial releases of PF material - it was meant as tongue in cheek type comment
danpunch
Axe
Axe

Post by danpunch »

mdp963 wrote:
Obviously he is doing it for purely commercial reasons??....perhaps he needs the money???

Sigh. He could have sold the tour out ten times over. Probably more. He could have taken the hundreds of millions of dollars offered to get Pink Floyd back on the road. He could have kept the royalties resulting from the sales boost after Live 8. He could have slapped the Pink Floyd name on On An Island...

Damn!t wrote:
It sounded like "i dont give a fuck about other people".

Sounded defensive to me. He's still right, though.

He's putting an album out that he wanted to make and so did. No one is obligated to buy it. He's doing a small tour. Yet the overwhelming response, certainly on the blog - which apparently he reads - is "Why aren't you coming to [insert name of country/city/remote village: population 3]?" "Why aren't you - a man of sixty, who after 40 years in the music business now find yourself quite happy to stay home and enjoy your roles of husband and father - committing yourself to an extensive and strenuous tour?" HE. DOESN'T. WANT. TO.

Selfish or not, he can do whatever the fuck he likes. We fans didn't buy the albums and go to the concerts to aid their bank balances. We did that for ourselves. Thus we are owed nothing and should stop being greedy.
I'm in total 100% agreement with gem on this one.