Jazz

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

I love jazz organ: Jimmy Smith, Jack McDuff, Groove Holmes.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I like jazz in various forms...Love John Coltrane (especially the final years - played like he knew he'd die)...Weather Report is good too, Miles Davis...Alvin Jones' Jazz machine....and on and on...
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I like Weather Report too. Forgot to mention them. Picked up some Ornette Coleman today, gonna give a listen to it tonight. His landmark "Free Jazz" album recoreded in '61 and "The Complete Science Fiction Sessions" recorded in '71.
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

olzen wrote:Indeed you did! I have to admit I don't own any studio albums. My dad does have the 1982-album titled "Weather Report", but otherwise, I'm just into bootleg recordings. By all means look for their gig at Montreux Jazz Festival 1976. It's a fantastic concert, and on DVD even.
Thinkin of starting a vine from that?

A JAZZ vine! That's new.
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

Jazz is brilliant but does the Seatbelts count as jazz :!:
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:
olzen wrote:Indeed you did! I have to admit I don't own any studio albums. My dad does have the 1982-album titled "Weather Report", but otherwise, I'm just into bootleg recordings. By all means look for their gig at Montreux Jazz Festival 1976. It's a fantastic concert, and on DVD even.
Thinkin of starting a vine from that?

A JAZZ vine! That's new.
I'm afraid my economical situation won't allow me to do that! But as far as I know, the torrent is still being seeded on The Traders' Den. Perhaps you can download it from there or find someone willing to do a B&P?
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Ok, i have never been a big jazz listener, more of a blues and rock man myself (and psychadelic :D), so wat would be a good start?
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

jambo wrote:Ok, i have never been a big jazz listener, more of a blues and rock man myself (and psychadelic :D), so wat would be a good start?
I'd say you might want to start with fusion...Chick Corea, Mahrivshnu Orchestra (I can't spell it - John McLaughlan is in the band, or one of his own solo albums)

Actually, Mark Schofield, a guitar player does some wicked stuff...six or seven string guitar, with pop sensibilities...

Psychedelic - Pharroh Saunders (spelling a bit of a problem for me today) - The Creator Has a Master Plan (the yodaling is a bit much)

P.S. I feel bad you Aussie's must wait till the 20th for OAI
Last edited by nosaj on Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

The seatbelts...lol..its japanese...thank god its mostly instramentals

I would recommend Mahrivshnu Orchestra though
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

matknny wrote:The seatbelts...lol..its japanese...thank god its mostly instramentals

I would recommend Mahrivshnu Orchestra though
and I'd recommend their album "The Inner Mounting Flame". Intense!!!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

2066 wrote:and I'd recommend their album "The Inner Mounting Flame". Intense!!!
Great album! If you ever want to snap the strings on your guitar, this is the stuff to improvise around!
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

Yep, right accross the board from Art Blakey's intense and IMO unrivaled Orgy in Rhythm, to Ronnie Jordan's just about crossing that line into muzak jazz guitar work. One of my favorite album's right now is Sonny Sharrock's Ask the Ages. Man, Sonny just errupts on this album with his sometimes sad and melodic and sometimes shrieking violent guitar work. The band is incredible on this album too. unfortunately he died right after this piece, because this album was taking jazz guitar work into an direction exciting direction: really spare production, a lot of Coltraneesque improvisation and a beefed up buzz saw jazz guitar sound that was the opposite of the Wes Montgomery smooth picking style.
Norbert Wilkins
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Norbert Wilkins »

JML wrote:I've begun to listen to Fusion Jazz, like Weather Report and Mahavishny Orchestra. Love them, amen.
matknny wrote:I would recommend Mahrivshnu Orchestra though
Just finished listening to Between Nothing & Eternity - Live, as it happens. Superb stuff. Very fond of Mr John McLaughlin and his Mahavishnu Orchestra.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

John has played with a few people - including Santana in 1972 I think.

Yeah, Inner Mounting Flame is THE one to get...though they recorded only two studio albums, as far as my memory goes (which isn't always that far)
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Jambo - as mentioned above, Mahavishnu Orchestra and also Weather Report would be good places to start...also, Al DiMeola, especially his stuff from the 70's...a bit of a Latin influence in with the rock and jazz vibe, but some of the most mind blowing guitar work you'll ever hear. Return to Forever is also good, especially Romantic Warrior. If you're coming from a rock background, those are some good choices to start before moving into more purer jazz territories. It can be an acquired taste at times, but once acquired, enormously rewarding!