Jazz

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

olzen wrote:
iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote: Thinkin of starting a vine from that?

A JAZZ vine! That's new.
I'm afraid my economical situation won't allow me to do that! But as far as I know, the torrent is still being seeded on The Traders' Den. Perhaps you can download it from there or find someone willing to do a B&P?
Define: B&P
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

jambo wrote:so wat would be a good start?
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

PublicImage wrote:
2066 wrote:and I'd recommend their album "The Inner Mounting Flame". Intense!!!
Great album! If you ever want to snap the strings on your guitar, this is the stuff to improvise around!
One missing guitar string still in all the guitars still :?:

Thought you would buy some
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

matknny wrote:One missing guitar string still in all the guitars still :?:
No!
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

PublicImage wrote:
matknny wrote:One missing guitar string still in all the guitars still :?:
No!
Well done :!: At last :roll:
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

2066 wrote:
matknny wrote:The seatbelts...lol..its japanese...thank god its mostly instramentals

I would recommend Mahrivshnu Orchestra though
and I'd recommend their album "The Inner Mounting Flame". Intense!!!
Yeah, that's a classic album. Unbelievable stuff. I like Vision's of the Emerald Beyond a lot, too. Birds of Fire isn't bad either.
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

I like Miles' 1969-75 era. that heavy electro jazz stuff
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

HeckTo wrote:I like Miles' 1969-75 era. that heavy electro jazz stuff
Yeah, Bitches Brew is a brilliant album. That man really can blow a horn!
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

Zappa's Grand Wazoo & Waka Jawaka are great jazz albums, very nice sounding stuff...Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus riff-melody is classic!
jokitter
Axe
Axe

jazz

Post by jokitter »

I was trying to ignore this because I knew that once I posted I'd get involved in it and time is not something that I have much of. I'm a jazz fan. There are so many different factions of jazz, avant garde,free jazz, hard bop, funk and fusion along with many others. I listen to Weather Report quite a bit and of course Jaco Pastorius (the greatest bass player in the world). I also like John Zorn, Ornette Coleman, Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and Joe Zawinul. The Mahavishnu Orchestra were great too.

For Weather Report recommendations, "8:30" is an outstanding live album. Jaco's bass is sick on "Birdland." As far as studio, most of their albums have a combination of other worldly influences. "Black Market" is the first one with Jaco on bass. He shares duties with Alphonse Johnson I think.

Talk to you later.
Josh K.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

One modern jazz group I love is Mushroom. They have combined 70's era Miles Davis influences (amongst others) with a Krautrock (Can, Neu!) kind of groove and produced some very tasty stuff. Their classic I think is "Analog Hi Fi Surprise". Their live album "Oh But They're Weird and Wonderful" is excellent too. On recent albums, especially "Mad Dogs and San Franciscans" they've gone in a bit more of a rock/R&B direction covering classic 60's songs with vocalist Gary Floyd, but they say this is not indicative of their future directions, just a one off thing they wanted to do. Still, they do an amazing job of it!
apocalypse
Knife
Knife

Post by apocalypse »

i believe that prog rock has very close ties to jazz. the eternal need for development, newness and extended solos (All hail John Coltrane) amongst a load of other similarities. and without jazz as we know wrights playing would be very different.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

apocalypse wrote:i believe that prog rock has very close ties to jazz. the eternal need for development, newness and extended solos (All hail John Coltrane) amongst a load of other similarities. and without jazz as we know wrights playing would be very different.
Well, this is true...and some musicians have done the crossover thing...I'm listening right now to The Keith Tippett Group's amazing Dedicated To You But You Weren't Listening, and of course, Keith T. also played with King Crimson. Certainly some of John McLaughlin's stuff could be considered more rock than jazz...like the album Devotion, for example...and Frank Zappa, of course, often straddled the boundary between rock and jazz
Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

Anyone like Medeski, Martin & Wood here?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Dedicated to you.... thats a Soft Machine track, and I LOVE SOFT MACHINE! they are one of my favorite fusion bands fer sure.