smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Rapoon
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Rapoon »

im a dipper. i quit (about the 4th time in 10+ years) 3 days ago. i started off as a smoker and moved to dipping. i tried going back to cigs but i was smoking 2-3 packs a day because of the huge nicotine difference in the two. for me, my lips and gums are cashed. i take care of my teeth (brush 2, 3 times, floss, rinse etc) but it doesnt mean much when you have that corrosive stuff in your lip. one thing in the past that helped me, is i told close friends, family etc i was quiting, so lay off for a bit. my gf at the time not to give me a hard time, mother etc. just tried to reduce some of those external stress factors. oh yea, im currently chewing the gum. the guys who said you're just substituting one habit for another are right. a 9 month stretch i quit a couple years ago, i chewed the gum. was chewing ~20-25 peices a day.
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

thx for the advice one and all......dunno bout the inhaler advice,its something in my hand i miss at times.....got one of those "false"looking cigs but havent resorted to it yet.....woman atclinic said to do crosswords,draw,cross stitch...all very well but i do them all anyway...and used to smoke at same time!!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

About three years ago, I quit smoking as the result of drinking something called a Gorilla Fart...it was Bacardi 151 and Wild Turkey 101 in the same shot glass.

The stomach pains had me on the couch for three days...since I knew that smoking a cigarette would make me feel even MORE nauseous (first cig of the day curse and all that,) I simply didn't want one for three days.

Then I decided to see how long I could ride it. I started telling myself "I'm not going to smoke right now, maybe I will later...but not right now."

The trick is...it's ALWAYS "Right Now" and "Later" never gets here.

It worked for a year and four months...then, the wife left me for a fifty-seven year old, one-legged man and I needed a crutch that I could use while driving.

Drinking and driving was out, obviously and I didn't feel like taking a chance on weed and driving combined.

So...cigarettes it was.

And now I smoke again...but I'm thinking about quitting again.

Just can't get myself to drink another one of those Gorilla Farts, though.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

I've never smoked, but the rest of my family did (does). My mom and dad both quit some 20 years ago. My mom did it by just going cold turkey and willpower, but she says 20 years later she still craves it when she smells cigarette smoke. My dad saw a hypnotist who specialized in quitting smoking and has never smoked since then, and says he has never once craved it. My sister periodically tries to give it up but has always gone back to smoking. She's currently trying again. We'll see.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

The only time I ever quit for more than a day or to was when I got hurt at work.I was in the hospital for a week and wasn't allowed to smoke in the building.As soon as I got on my feet(which was 5days in) I got up and went outside to have a cig.Damn that first 1 tasted so good.I smoke KOOLs and they are supposed to be the hardest to quit where thier menthol.I love coffee and cigs first thing of the day.I drink a pot or 2 and smoke half a pack before I get up and moving.Isn't life great. :lol:
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

I think I deserve to keep my Camels til the kids are out of the house....otherwise, they might suffer! :shock: :P
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

I simply quite smoking by being angry! :twisted:
Mostly on myself and the rest on the tobacco industry.
First for letting them fooling me and for all the hard working money I?ve spent on that shit. :oops:

There is something in my head but it?s not me'
I believe that quit smoking is more of a mental thing than a physical. :smt017
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

bin 4.5 days now....tempted at times.....then rememb the tar filled lungs i have seen.......YUK :-k ,......suck another mint.....now down to 50 tic tacs a day!!
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i allways find it REALLY easy to stop smoking, the times i have quit no matter how much i smoked before i just stopped...

...i guess i just have good willpower
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I find it a bit unbelievable that there's so many smokers :shock: :o

My problem isn't trying to stop smoking it's more like trying to start smoking :lol: Last time I tried a cig it was disgusting :x :lol:
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

I live in the "tobacco belt" of southern Ontario.....hooray.

Both of my parents smoked for over 20 years and they say they've quit for good this time. I don't know for sure but I hope they have. Neither my brother or I picked up the habit, thankfully. So I can't relay any advice for quitting. But I can say that I think it's a terrible habit to get into and I don't know why anyone would start doing it in the first place. But then I don't "get" a lot of things. The best example I can provide from my life would be in regard to being an over-eater. I was just eating something that I shouldn't have, but I CAN'T HELP MYSELF. So maybe I can relate after all.
Alright, I'm going to grab some more tortilla chips and salsa.
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

I live in the heart of tobacco growing country.I will say this it is all the bullshit they put in tobacco that makes it so bad.I know all kinds of older people that grow and smoke thier own tobacco and are in thier 70s 80s and more.They smoke pure tobacco and I also know plenty of people that grow thier own chewing tobacco as well.So this would lead me to believe it is all the chemicals in tobacco is what makes it bad.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Flashy's right- the tobacco companies add the shit that creates the (physical) addiction... but it's also a behavioural addiction.

One thing that I find helpful (even just a little bit) when I'm out of cigarettes is that a nicotine craving only lasts about 30 seconds.... try to divert your thoughts, and the craving will be gone before you know it.
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

Would anyone put their mouth on to a factory chimney and inhale that smoke? :smt017
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

PFralst wrote:Would anyone put their mouth on to a factory chimney and inhale that smoke? :smt017
if the money was there.... yeah.... otherwise... no.