smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Post by ddebil »

mosespa wrote:Smoking bans are merely a pointless exercise of power for it's own sake.

Anyone who supports a smoking ban is merely a self-centered weenie who hasn't yet accepted the fact that the universe does not revolve around them and their own precious sense of self.

Having said all of that...I will remain against smoking bans even though I've started a new program to quit smoking just today.

I'm using the platinum version of these babys:

http://www.smokestikusa.com

And I just can't WAIT for some self-righteous asshole of a non-smoker to come up to me and try to start shit with me for smoking in a non-smoking zone...so that I can point out to said asshole (or douchebag, if you prefer,) that since there's no tobacco involved and nothing's on fire, I'm not actually smoking. So they can take their precious little sense of self-righteousness and shove it squarely up their own asses...right next to their heads.
I HATE to do this...but here goes.. [-D-] \:D/ [-D-] <ii> [-D-] \:D/ <ii> :twisted:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Thanks?

:lol:

Can you tell that I've not had an actual cigarette all day?

*eyes the nearby pack of neglected Camel Lights*
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

mosespa wrote:Smoking bans are merely a pointless exercise of power for it's own sake.

Anyone who supports a smoking ban is merely a self-centered weenie who hasn't yet accepted the fact that the universe does not revolve around them and their own precious sense of self
Rubbish. I chose not to smoke, just like some people decided to take it up. If they want to damage their lungs by smoking, that's their own business. What I don't want is to have to breathe in cigarette smoke.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

snifferdog wrote:Rubbish. I chose not to smoke, just like some people decided to take it up. If they want to damage their lungs by smoking, that's their own business. What I don't want is to have to breathe in cigarette smoke.
This comment seems to suggest that you either think that it's all about you or that it should be all about you.

Typical woman. :P

I keep hearing about the rights of the non-smoker as if that's some sort of rarified, lofty thing to be.

Just keep in mind, as the late-great, often-referenced-by-me Bill Hicks once pointed out:

Non-smokers are going to die, too.

Yes, smokers made a choice; as did you by choosing not to smoke.

If you feel like you shouldn't be subjected to the whims of smokers, what makes you think that smokers should be subjected to your whims?

That's a legitimate question, by the way. :D
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

PublicImage wrote:
moom wrote:But it's also MY and other people's lungs and air they're polluting!
Passive smoking isn't really any more harmful than the damage caused to you by walking on a pavement near a main road. Would you also agree that cars should be banned because of the way they destroy the air and pollute your lungs?

If it pisses you off so much, just don't go near people while they are smoking. It really isn't difficult.
1. That's still an awful thing. I want a clear air, and there's less and less of such. Besides, what are my kids gonna breathe in.

2. Besides, some of smokers are my friends, and it's hard to avoid places where somebody has smoked- in the city. I mean, I go to somewhere in a city, but it;s a great chance someone has already smoked there and where does the smoke go!?

Excuses, excuses.

Btw, just for the sake of asking, do you smoke?
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Typical woman...how did I guess Mossy would come back with that :lol: It's not about me. It's about me and everyone else who chooses not to smoke. I'm not being lofty about my not smoking. I don't give a toss if people want to drink/take drugs or whatever because these things don't affect me or other people. Smoking - well even if you don't smoke or have a respiratory condition, you have no choice but to inhale the smoke. There are still plenty of places for people to smoke where it doesn't affect non smokers.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

moom wrote:1. That's still an awful thing. I want a clear air, and there's less and less of such. Besides, what are my kids gonna breathe in.

2. Besides, some of smokers are my friends, and it's hard to avoid places where somebody has smoked- in the city. I mean, I go to somewhere in a city, but it;s a great chance someone has already smoked there and where does the smoke go!?

Excuses, excuses.

Btw, just for the sake of asking, do you smoke?
1. Clean air is an illusion in the 21st century. Regardless of whether or not smoking bans are enforced, your lungs will be damaged if you go outside for more than a few hours every day. Switzerland aside, there don't seem to be any countries with a serious environmental agenda that is being enforced rather than just talked about, and the air won't improve until more people start to do things.

2. You're complaining about the tiny amount of residue from a cigarette that was smoked before you even entered a building. That's ridiculous. Why don't you just ask your smoker friends not to do it around you if it bothers you so much? If they are actually your friends rather than a group of people you follow around to look popular, they will pay attention.

No, I don't smoke. I just care about liberty.
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »

PublicImage wrote:
moom wrote: If they are actually your friends rather than a group of people you follow around to look popular, they will pay attention.
Please don't go down the mr.moom and 'pop' road......
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Smoking is despicable. I've hated it since I was small, and still, I smoke. It's insidious. And if you are orally-fixated, it really hits the spot.

:(

The new electronic cigarettes may be an answer. I like mine, especially with a cigarette. What a buzz! I wish the stinking whale murdering Japanese would invent an electronic joint.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

snifferdog wrote:Typical woman...how did I guess Mossy would come back with that :lol: It's not about me. It's about me and everyone else who chooses not to smoke. I'm not being lofty about my not smoking. I don't give a toss if people want to drink/take drugs or whatever because these things don't affect me or other people. Smoking - well even if you don't smoke or have a respiratory condition, you have no choice but to inhale the smoke. There are still plenty of places for people to smoke where it doesn't affect non smokers.
There are plenty of other things that passively cause cancer, too. Sunlight, for example.

Should it be banned, also.

I don't like to go outside in the daylight, but you don't hear me demanding that the sun be dimmed, do you? :D

I suggest you read and pay attention to the exchange between PI and Moom running concurrently with our little exchange.

PI's making some very good points. :D
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

mosespa wrote:I'm using the platinum version of these babys:
http://www.smokestikusa.com
... that since there's no tobacco involved and nothing's on fire, I'm not actually smoking. So they can take their precious little sense of self-righteousness and shove it squarely up their own asses...
So what's the use of those sticks? Can't you just inject the nicotine with a needle?
Smokers smoke because they love to smoke, not because of the nicotine... at least that's what they say...
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Hence the "No Nicotine" option...if you'd read the info, you'd know that that's there.

Also, since the Non-Smoking contingent seem to think that their rights supercede those of Smokers, somehow, this is a way for smokers to continue the actions of smoking (whether they use the nicotine options or not,) without infringing upon the rights of non-smokers.

Although, to me, the beauty of it is that most non-smokers will just automatically assume that a smoker IS firing up near them and end up revealing themselves for the meddlesome, conclusion jumping idiots that they really are. :D
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Most of the most virally anti-smoking advocates that I know, live in utter pollution. You can't see the sun in the morning until the ocean breeze blows the smog out. They want people to smoke fifteen-feet from buildings. In traffic. Which is a really great way to kill smokers. lol. When I go to the Indian reservation to buy ultra-toxic cigarettes (the red man's revenge), I notice that my fellow shoppers are often in their eighties and nineties. Smoking as a form of suicide is apparently really, really slow. But whatever kills you should be your own business, you have to die of something, health just won't do it.

Cigarettes do stink though. And they are bloody filthy. I love the evil damn things, especially when I know it bothers my sister-in-law, LOL.
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Banning sunshine. Now who's being facetious? :roll:
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

mosespa wrote:Hence the "No Nicotine" option...if you'd read the info, you'd know that that's there.
True, but I'm not interested in reading something I'm not interested in.
mosespa wrote:Also, since the Non-Smoking contingent seem to think that their rights supercede those of Smokers, somehow, this is a way for smokers to continue the actions of smoking (whether they use the nicotine options or not,) without infringing upon the rights of non-smokers.
Didn't you say you were trying to stop smoking yourself? So you want to become one of those annoying non-smokers.

And if you really want to quit: QUIT and don't play with those sticks...
But that's just my opinion.

BTW: Damn!t, update us on your attempt at stopping! How are you doing?