smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

PFralst wrote:Would anyone put their mouth on to a factory chimney and inhale that smoke? :smt017

Kind of reminds me of that line from The Breakfast Club:

You won't accept a guys tongue in your mouth, but you're going to eat that (sushi?)
Ringorocks

Post by Ringorocks »

I'm allergic, so if I smoke I die. If I'm around people who smoke I have trouble breathing and stuff.. And I kind of enjoy the ability to breathe.. So not only do I not smoke myself, I have gotten my entire family to quit smoking. Which is sweet.
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

Well done. My mom has asthma so that was one of her primary reasons for quitting.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

My mom's got asthma, too.... Nobody's allowed to smoke in her house or truck... I DO smoke less whenever I'm over there....
coporal clegg
Axe
Axe

Post by coporal clegg »

Gave up 28 years ago after trying unsuccessfully 3 times. Finally managed it by sheer desire to give up once I'd got through the first week it got easier. You really have to want to give up, if, like my first attempts, you are giving up because someone else wants you to you will find it very hard because somewhere in the back of your mind you still enjoy smoking. Patches will help as will hypnotism and acupuncture but in the end it all boils down to how badly you want to quit. Best of luck. It's great when you finally crack it. :D
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

hi ...thx for all replies and support!!its a week today......hoping it will get easier with time....had to take the patches off at times,gave me palpitations,nitemares,and couldnt sleep very well with them on....which was difficult when just been on nite duty!!......oh well....heres to the nxt week.....
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Supposedly the first 10 days after quitting are the hardest.

If you happen to be going through a divorce, quitting smoking is a good idea because it keeps your mind occupied...
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

Nicotine gum helps you if you have the real attitude to quit. That's what I did.
But after that you also have to quit the gum.

The gum is so strong that you can't smoke when chewing it.

One 4mg gum = 5 red marlboros!
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Keep with it BlueDolphin.I've tried all sorts of methods over the years but usuing nicotene patches has worked for me.Lots of people on the Forum seem to have given up with different techniques so I guess it's finding what works for you, I found Allan Carr's book useless,for example.I've now been free for 16 months and as such, have got thru each "anniversary" in a typical year without a cig,ie Xmas,holiday,birthday etc.I still wake up every morning pleased I didn't have a smoke the night before which is odd! My wife still smokes and I enjoy breathing her air occasionally but that's allowed! After a month or so off, at the start,I now really enjoy going into pubs for the same reason.Smoking was my hobby for 20 years but I'm totally over it now.Do a full year and celebrate with a bottle of the most expensive champagne money can buy-after that you won't miss it at all!
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

thx 4 info neil.....had to take patch off as keeping me awake!!....using will power at moment!!......... :roll:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

That's ok bluedolphin I'll go smoke 1 for ya right now and 1 for me :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I havent smoked since Sunday! :o :D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Ive had 4 cigarettes in 17 days!! I caved at the pub friday, I think its going well, ironically Ive caught a nasty bug thats given me a bad throat.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

simpledumbpilot wrote:Ive had 4 cigarettes in 17 days!! I caved at the pub friday, I think its going well, ironically Ive caught a nasty bug thats given me a bad throat.
Funny you should say that... I have a terrible cold!! I may have to get come ciggies!! :o :D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Keith Jordan wrote:Funny you should say that... I have a terrible cold!! I may have to get come ciggies!! :o :D
Dont do it Keith, you can win this! Its just bloody typical tho, I quit smoking and my throat feels like Im on 80 a day!

So, is this a concerted effort to quit or have you just not fancied smoking?