smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Jack Dempsey
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jack Dempsey »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Keith Jordan wrote:Funny you should say that... I have a terrible cold!! I may have to get come ciggies!! :o :D
Dont do it Keith, you can win this! Its just bloody typical tho, I quit smoking and my throat feels like Im on 80 a day!

So, is this a concerted effort to quit or have you just not fancied smoking?
Think i may run a book to see which one of you lasts the longest before going back on the cigs :lol: :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I stopped by accident! I just forgot to do it!

I just wrote this in my blog here anyway and thought I would post it here too.

Me wrote:Smoke teabags!! Its the future!!

It is Wednesday and I have not smoked since Sunday night!! Yay. Go me! Apparently the first two days offer the most serious tempting cravings and it all subsides after that.

I guess giving up smoking comes in two parts:

1 - Nicotine addiction - when you smoke you add nicoteine to your blood/brain and, after a while, the level of nicotine in your blood starts to drop and you develop the craving! This craving disappears when you have another smoke.

2 - Habitual Movements - the physical act of smoking is equated in the brain and being a process which stops a negative craving hence the habitual movements involved in smoking are probably the most difficult part of smoking to "get over".

So, how the fuck do I break the positive association between my cravings for the nicotine and the habit of stoping those cravings by smoking a cigarette? Smoke teabags!! Its the future!!
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Keith Jordan wrote:Habitual Movements - the physical act of smoking is equated in the brain and being a process which stops a negative craving hence the habitual movements involved in smoking are probably the most difficult part of smoking to "get over".
Just suck on a pen and tap it every now and then :P.

dirty smokers!
pompeii purple
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pompeii purple »

simpledumbpilot wrote:ironically Ive caught a nasty bug thats given me a bad throat.
Could be withdrawal. The same thing happens to me every time I change my diet substantially. Our bodies are designed to rid themselves of "bad stuff".
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

ive found a new hobby/habit anyway.......eating!!particularly chocolate :(

i was on a site that helps ppl with giving up by advice etc....and you can download this calculator thingy its great....ticks away in bot corner of screen telling u how much u saved etc......e.g...
"I have been quit for 1 Week, 3 Days, 11 hours, 33 minutes and 30 seconds (10 days). I have saved ?26.19 by not smoking 314 cigarettes. I have saved 1 Day, 2 hours and 10 minutes of my life. My Quit Date: 09/04/2006 08:00"....
and it writes all that for you!!
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Bad move .... by doing that you've psychologically told yourself that you are missing some precious and you are rewarding yourself for it.

Instead , you are supposed to reverse that psychology.
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

u r very right!!!gonna delete it now......... :)
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

That's the basic principle behind the Allen Carr : Easy Way To Quit Smoking (I do not work for them by the way :wink: ) ....
bong
Hammer
Hammer

Post by bong »

I smoked for approximately 10 1/2 years.
One day I woke up, smoked my last on the way to work and haven't had one since.
This was around the beginning of March this year.
The first day or two was hardbut after that it was clear sailing.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Keith Jordan wrote:Smoke teabags!! Its the future!!

It is Wednesday and I have not smoked since Sunday night!! Yay. Go me! Apparently the first two days offer the most serious tempting cravings and it all subsides after that.

I guess giving up smoking comes in two parts:

1 - Nicotine addiction - when you smoke you add nicoteine to your blood/brain and, after a while, the level of nicotine in your blood starts to drop and you develop the craving! This craving disappears when you have another smoke.

2 - Habitual Movements - the physical act of smoking is equated in the brain and being a process which stops a negative craving hence the habitual movements involved in smoking are probably the most difficult part of smoking to "get over".

So, how the fuck do I break the positive association between my cravings for the nicotine and the habit of stoping those cravings by smoking a cigarette? Smoke teabags!! Its the future!!
Funny you should say that...

Back in high school, when I was working at the radio station, some friends of mine came and visited me with what appeared to be a joint.

It was tea leaves rolled up in a paper.

They had decided to see if a buzz was involved and thought it might be nice to include me. Yeah, the guys I hung out with in high school were a combination of The Breakfast Club and Wayne's World...we LIVED those movies.

Anyway...as part of the festivities, it was suggested that I play "Mama Kin" by Aerosmith (later covered by Guns N Roses,) which features the line "sleeping late and smoking tea."

So...there we were...smoking tea and NOT getting ANY sort of buzz.

Ah...capricious youth.
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

jambo wrote:dirty smokers!
Well Said
bluedolphin
Blade
Blade

Post by bluedolphin »

well its 4 weeks today...!!!in an hour and a half actually.......not gone toooo bad,havent killed anybody yet,still got finger nails left,....just put on half a stone :( oh well,such is life....off to work now for 13 hrs.......
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Well, I don't and have not ever nor will I smoke, drink or do drugs. However, I am trying to reduce my sugar intake.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

the best way to become a non-smoker, is not to smoke at all. Works ALWAYS
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: smoking,,....anybody tried to give up?

Post by Keith Jordan »

I have not smoked since Saturday 1st Dec! I hope I can keep it up!!! 8)

I feel a little healthier already. :D