who has had the better solo tours

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
TheJoker
Blade
Blade

Post by TheJoker »

my breakfast. wrote:Roger Waters.

Dave Tours don't do it for me. By David tours I mean AMLOR tour or PULSE tour. Good visuals, unoriginal, tired-sounding music.
And why aren't those tours, especially 'TDB' tour Pink Floyd?

"buu huu no Roger..." grow up... Roger blamed Pink Floyd for a "cash n grab" tour, while they were on one of the most spectacular and best Pink Floyd shows EVER to promote an album. Only one who has done "cash n grab" tours is Roger on his 'In The Flesh' tour, and certainly this "DSOTM" tour, that sounds like a cover band playing, with the exception of 'Brain Damage/Eclipse'.
closer
Axe
Axe

Post by closer »

Roger Waters is my easy choice. Cause I haven't seen David show.
TheJoker
Blade
Blade

Post by TheJoker »

closer wrote:Roger Waters is my easy choice. Cause I haven't seen David show.
I've seen Roger's show at Norwegian Wood, I enjoyed the parts that wasn't mimed. I haven't seen David's yet, I hope for more dates later this year, so I may see Floyd minus Nick..
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Floyd minus Nick and Roger, you mean.
TheJoker
Blade
Blade

Post by TheJoker »

PublicImage wrote:Floyd minus Nick and Roger, you mean.
Roger left the band in 1985, and as far as I'm concerned even though I want it, he hasn't returned as a full member, has he? I've seen no press release or anything. I hope they sort out their differences and go on one last tour with only material from Syd up until 'The Wall'. No point in playing what some don't wanna play Live eh?
Roger and David don't want to TOUR as Pink Floyd, but both have not ruled out benefit concerts and special occasions. Nick "The DRIVING force and engine of Pink Floyd" is really keen on touring. Rick wants to tour, but not without David etc. :shock: :lol: :wink: You see, I love ALL their eras, with or without Roger Waters, Rick, Syd, Bob Klose etc. They have 14 excellent studio albums that I enjoy. :wink:
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

Ill have to go with Roger. He plays with more meaning in my opinion (even tho his guitarists cant compete with gilmours quality). Dave is still great in my opinion, his vocals and guitar-work still sound great. I just had a problem with how much Dave wanted for tickets. he only played two or three venues in the US and charged way too much for tickets. And when everyone in your household is a floyd fan...buying 5 tickets is too much money. If there were more venues closer to my location and the tickets were cheaper id go to a Gilmour concert but that isnt looking promising. That and im a bassist and i guess i appreciate watching bassists rather than guitarists.
TheJoker
Blade
Blade

Post by TheJoker »

The pros of David's tour is:

- Syd solo material (Dominoes, Dark Globe)

- Echoes, Time, Astronomy Domine, Fat Old Sun Wot's Uh...The Deal,
Wearing The Inside Out, and High Hopes with acoustic orchestral outro, thumbs up.

- Lasers & lightshow

- Rick, Guy, Jon, Dick + Phil & Steve

- He change the setlist, something Roger don't

- Jokes around with audience

- Promoting an album and not doing a "cash'n grab" tour

- No backing singers (Roger's songs have too much girl backing vocals in them IMO)

- Basicly it's the current incarnation of Pink Floyd, just minus Nick

Cons of David's tour is:

- Expencive tickets

- He plays in small venues

- That there isn't more dates on his tour except Gdansk :(

- That he don't play a few solo songs off his 2 great previous solo albums. Many good songs there, like 'Near The End' , 'Murder' , 'No Way' , 'There Is No Way Out Of Here' , 'Cruise' etc.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Oh, stop bickering. I think we all know which one is really Pink.

Nick Mason.
TheJoker
Blade
Blade

Post by TheJoker »

Tenniru wrote:Oh, stop bickering. I think we all know which one is really Pink.

Nick Mason.

haha! Well said! :wink: "The DRIVING force and engine of Pink Floyd"... :lol:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Each tour has its own qualities. Why not just appreciate both? Why would you want to choose one over the other?
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

TheJoker wrote:And why aren't those tours, especially 'TDB' tour Pink Floyd?
Because this is about Dave and Roger, not the Pink Floyd name, otherwise I would have probably used it.

TheJoker wrote:"buu huu no Roger..."
Indeed. IMHO this doesn't make the music bad... it just makes it a little bit lacking in originality and freshness. :? :lol:
TheJoker wrote:grow up...

Excuse me? :D You are the one bickering about the politics of POPULAR MUSICIANS. Not world politics, not saving starving people in Africa, not people suffering from AIDS, not finding a cure for Cancer or trying to slow down the rate of guncrime or anything useful, just two elderly men who make pop music. I think you should grow up and start to feel more passionate about things that actually are worth the passion! Climate change mate! We are going to be swimming in 100 years time!
:D :D :D :D :D :D
TheJoker wrote:...and certainly this "DSOTM" tour, that sounds like a cover band playing, with the exception of 'Brain Damage/Eclipse'.
Whats good about those two? lol. I think Roger gets a certain dispensation as he wrote that album after all. Lol.

Enough of this stuff!
TheJoker
Blade
Blade

Post by TheJoker »

Whats good about those two? lol. I think Roger gets a certain dispensation as he wrote that album after all. Lol.

Enough of this stuff![/quote]

I've heard that crap before. It isn't Roger's album, and it will never be. Perhaps in his mind while he is up on his wall, but if it is his, then why did he only sing on 'Brain Damage/Eclipse' , and howcome all the songs except 'Money' and 'BD/Eclipse' is credited to other member too? Every Pink Floyd album was made together as a band musically up until 'Animals' and 'The Wall' , were it was mainly Roger and a bit of David who dominated the credits, and later on 'TFC' only Roger... :wink:

I agree...enough of this. I'm just glad all 4 of them are playing in one way or another at the moment.
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

TheJoker wrote:I've heard that crap before.
I'm glad my opinion is well received by all. :?

Anyway. Enough of this shit. Lets set a trend and be the first people in forum history not to get into a Dave Versus Roger pissfight.

LOCK THE THREAD!
TheJoker
Blade
Blade

Post by TheJoker »

my breakfast. wrote:
TheJoker wrote:I've heard that crap before.
I'm glad my opinion is well received by all. :?

Anyway. Enough of this shit. Lets set a trend and be the first people in forum history not to get into a Dave Versus Roger pissfight.

Or let's discuss it in a civil way... :wink: Let's appretiate they are all touring... :D
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

No, I think this is capable of a return to civil discussion.
Now, I can't remember if I ever posted in this topic but if I did it was likely very short. That said, I'm going to make another one.

When I look at a tour, I see a good and often-changing setlist as a very high point. It makes bootleg-collecting more enjoyable and shows that the artist and his/her band is aware of their work and didn't just force it all out as filler whilst wanting to go play their old songs.

I also rank ability to improvize as a high mark. I don't mean something on the vast scale of Dark Star, but just playing around with the style; add a few extra notes here, a new intro there, replace one instrument with another, make it sound as good as it can given the scenario. If you can't sing something due to age or the singer being missing, get someone who sounds interesting in the context instead of sounding fake.

Also, you had BETTER play what you claim to play. I and hundreds of thousands of others paid good money to see you perform; if I we wanted to see a mime, we'd go see a mime pretend to be in a little box. They have talent and they show us exactly what it is.
If you're using recorded playback in a concert (Mellotrons and sampler-synths are excused), it should only be because there is no way anyone can make that noise live. I'm talking about explosions, sound effects, the like. The only excuse for taped music is if you happen to be pre-1992 They Might Be Giants, where you simply don't have a band beyond your main two members and their guitar and accordion. Then, you put those guitars and accordions at the front so you use that talent, and be very clear that the drums, bass, and maybe another guitar is taped. (NO TAPED VOCALS. Two is enough.)
If you're rich and you have a band, this excuse does not apply.
I'd prefer a battered show with effort over a shiny show and some mimes. If I didn't, I'd be listening to Milli Vanilli. (BA BA-BA-BA BA BA-BA-BA BAYBEH! DON'T FORGET MAH NUMBAH!)

Also, a bit of talking to us would be nice. No long speeches, but something more than "thank you goodnight". Acknowledging that we're there, near you, and sharing an arena and you're playing to us. At least "wow, nice/awful weather", "alright, sing along", "alright, this is a quiet one", and maybe "this is why I wrote this song". Even Paul McCartney's repetitive speeches on the 2005 tour is nicer than only speaking when you decided you hate the audience.

Dave's tour improvizes, changes songs, everything is live, and has a wildly flexible setlist. Also, he notices we're there; "hello, welcome, this is the band, wonderful weather, joke, etc."

Roger's tour uses a bloody CLICK TRACK, the only setlist changes involve shuffling order and chopping The Gunner's Dream, the entirety (at least from what we know) of Have A Cigar is faked (alongside more of The Gunner's Dream than neccecary), and it takes one of his best friends' death to say anything beyond "hello, goodbye".

Dave's tour wins. However, I'm going to go to Roger's concert because I never saw a Dave show (only many, many bootlegs), I have the money, and I feel like seeing the bits he DOES play for us. Also, it's always fun to see other Floyd fans and people who get it when you jump up yelling "PLAY TAKE UP THY STETHOSCOPE!". Also, the lightshow.
And the 1% chance that I'll run into either Roger (in which I'd ask him to sign Atom Heart Mother), or the 9% chance I'll run into a member of the touring party who can sign my copy of "In The Flesh - Live".