Vernon Fitch - Comfortably Numb: A History Of The Wall

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

i really want one, how close are you to selling all the copies vernon?
Dydion
Axe
Axe

Post by Dydion »

Ordered mine a week or so ago...can't wait!
FitchV
Axe
Axe

Post by FitchV »

Hi all,

Let me know what you think of the book when you receive it. I would appreciate your feedback on it as I am always interested to learn what other Pink Floyd fans think of my work.

Thanks,

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
PF7312
Embryo
Embryo

Post by PF7312 »

-------
Hi all,

Let me know what you think of the book when you receive it. I would appreciate your feedback on it as I am always interested to learn what other Pink Floyd fans think of my work.

Thanks,

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
-------

Hello Vernon,

Sure we'll do ! as soon as Genevieve get the 20 books order and finaly
dispatch them... :wink:

Cheers,
BruNo.
moonwall
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by moonwall »

Holding this beautiful book in my hands now :D .
Yes, its beautiful!
Think I will spend the last week of my vacation reading it and study, not only the words, but the pictures too. WOW! A goldmine for a Wall-fanatic!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Just retrieved my copy from the mailbox :D :D :D :D

Spoilers coming soon :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dydion
Axe
Axe

Post by Dydion »

Got my copy two days ago, on July 29th...mine's #315. :)

...I'M ENTHRALLED!! My god there's so much information...how the hell did you two do it??

Beautiful, GORGEOUS book! There's a LOT of stuff that's new to me, and it is utterly fascinating to learn the details of events and situations that I was only passingly familiar with. I hate to sound like I'm gushing, but I am excited. The explanations and commentary from the band members and engineers flow so well together, that, reading through the pages is like sitting in on a round-table discussion with all of them there, watching an overhead picture presentation. It is THAT well pieced together, perfectly complimented with the illustrations and pictures.

Love the marching hammers, too!

Great job, guys, and a great big THANK YOU! :smt038 :smt038 :smt038 :smt038
Parpa
Blade
Blade

Post by Parpa »

#408 here in Chicago.

On page 50 or so - and really into this book. Well done!!

The Wall is an album I don't often listen to - perhaps due to the fact that it was my introduction to the band and I associate the experience with being quite young and inexperienced. I won an advance copy of The Wall just for being the 15th caller on WLS radio Chicago. I was also entered into a drawing to win two tickets to one of the shows in NYC. Didn't win the tickets but played that album a lot for an 8 year old. Guess which song I liked best...

Anyway, by the time I properly understood the band and its music The Wall was an album I just didn't listen to much. The movie a few years later also hampered my enjoyment of the album - producing imagery that somehow lessened my enjoyment of the piece.

But I always knew it was Roger's high-water mark. And in some ways, David's too. The band was already over - or at least a completely different animal. It was Roger, Dave and the production staff (Ezrin/Guthrie) now.

But that album is playing right now as I type this out and continue reading...and it sounds amazing.

What an unexplainably brilliant piece of work.

THANKS for writing this book!

Kevin
CEddy10165
Embryo
Embryo

Post by CEddy10165 »

my copy arrived yesterday here in CT, USA, and my first impression was stunned admiration. Although I've only had the time for a cursory once-through, the love and care put into this creation shine from every page.

Congratulations and thank you!
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I just remembered that my birthday is in two weeks. I guess I can get a copy. This'll be great.
Parpa
Blade
Blade

Post by Parpa »

So - what do you all think?

I think the book is tremendous - assuming you already have a keen interest in the work (The Wall). The band commentary (most of which I had never seen before) was particularly interesting. As was the re-experiencing of the Wall show - live. If you had a live Wall show playing quietly in the background as you read thru this part of the book - it was quite enlightening! I can safely say now (having never been to a Wall show from 80-81) that I have a basic understanding of what each song looked like during the performance. Very cool indeed.

And one other point or impression the book made on me relates to the level of true working partnership that Gilmour and Waters enjoyed during this time. Not so much collaboration as partnership. But never before and obviously never since, has the two of them worked in such tandem, sharing a common goal. I believe now that Gilmour really bought into Waters' vision and concept (more than any of the other band members) and really took command or assumed a production role (musical director) for the duration. They seemed to be working so well together - it now has me thinking that this project was the greatest Gilmour/Waters synthesis of the band's career.

In any case, GREAT BOOK. Job well done.
Hope the band reads it.

Might remind a few people of a few things.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Mine arrived Saturday, at my mom's house... she THINKS she's gonna make me wait til my birthday to get it... I plan on having it by tomorrow! :twisted:
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

I ordered mine on Saturday, and am now waiting. I'm also looking forward to reading it whilst listening to the album.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Got it! heh heh...
Mine is #427.... There was slight damage to the very bottom of the spine, from shipping- My mum wanted to send it back for a replacement, but she soon realized that she would have to pry it from my cold, dead hands, before that was gonna happen! :shock:
Vernon, it's beautiful- Very impressive effort, and well-organized... I can't wait to get deeper into it! Thank you sooo much!
FitchV
Axe
Axe

Post by FitchV »

Hi,

I'd like to let everyone know that every copy of the Comfortably Numb book that has been ordered to date, has been shipped.

-U.S. orders were shipped by Media Mail, which can take up to 14 days to arrive.
-Overseas copies that were shipped by Airmail should arrive in about a week to 10 days.
-Overseas copies that were shipped by Surface Mail take apx. 4-6 weeks for delivery. (please be patient)

So if you have already ordered a copy of the book, it is already on its way.

All books were shipped in a special box that was purchased specifically to fit the book. The box has a 1/2 inch buffer at the corners that should help to prevent any damage to the book (minor dings unfortunately do happen during transit every once and a while).

The book is very heavy (almost 4 lbs). The reason for this is that we used very high quality materials for the book, and certain of these materials, such as the glossy paper that the pages are printed on, tend to weigh more than standard book paper. We also had the book bound with Smythe-sewn reinforced binding, which also adds to the weight. It was all part of our effort to produce a very high quality book.

I appreciate hearing what everyone thinks of the book. Please keep your comments coming when you receive the book, and as you work your way through the text. Your feedback is important.

Thanks to everyone for their support of this project.

Now sit back and get Comfortably Numb.

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives

P.S. You can still order copies of the Comfortably Numb book at:
http://www.PFAPublishing.com