Vernon Fitch - Comfortably Numb: A History Of The Wall

General discussion about Pink Floyd.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

It arrived in the mail today. I must say, this is an incredible pile of paper; easily the best thing on the subject. I was shocked to know that the names on most of the Wall Demo bootlegs were entirely incorrect. Heck, this book is full of things I never knew. And it's formatted and packaged immaculately.

I'm looking forward to the sequel. (Feel like tackling the history of the DryFloyd?)
Parpa
Blade
Blade

Post by Parpa »

I'd rather see something like this dedicated to capturing the "magical years" Roger describes as somewhere between 1970 and 1973.

That post-UmmaGumma-yet-pre-Dark-Side era, for me is the reason I kept listening to Pink Floyd over the course of all these years.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Ah, but that'd be a prequel.

I read the start; I didn't know the 1977 tour was that hellish for Roger. I was always certain that Comfortably Numb was about Syd, not Roger himself!
And that legendary well-taped LA Sports Arena show from '75... it's shockingly ironic that the police were trying to arrest everyone in the show, got 500 stoners holding small pieces of burning plant, but completely missed the legendary show-taper with what must've been a glarlingly obvious piece of taping equipment.
At least now we know who those "guys in yellow" Rog was yelling about were. (The Beatles still had a harder time touring than the Floyd did, though.)

It's pretty amazing that so many pieces of the development of The Wall were caught by random unwary bootleggers. The source of In The Flesh, Comfortably Numb, the entire concept, all captured on tape.
It'd make for an amazing compilation bootleg; "The Birth Of The Wall". It's the kind of thing you should put in a museum.
One of those big ones. With a wasted consonant.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Tenniru wrote: I was always certain that Comfortably Numb was about Syd, not Roger himself!
Like much of The Wall, it's about BOTH of them...sometimes simultaneously.

Syd WAS found catatonic just prior to the show. Apparently, the manager of the band had been pounding on the door and saying "time to go." Despite the fact that he was clearly in no condition to perform, he was put onstage with a guitar anyway.

Then, there was Roger's bout with hepatitus for which he received a shot of muscle relaxant and was put onstage with a guitar anyway.

Sorry...just had to add that.

Hope no one feels intimidated.
woody
Embryo
Embryo

mailing

Post by woody »

Hi i paid for my copy a while ago . have you started mailing yet?.
many thanks
FitchV
Axe
Axe

Re: mailing

Post by FitchV »

woody wrote:Hi i paid for my copy a while ago . have you started mailing yet?.
many thanks
Yes, indeed. All books that have been ordered are in the mail.

What many people are failing to take into account is that when they place an order for the book to be shipped by Surface Mail, it takes 4-6 weeks for delivery. Surface Mail is much cheaper than Airmail, but it takes alot longer to get there. So please be patient.

Current orders are being shipped within 2 days of receipt, so if anyone wants to order a copy, you can do so at:
http://www.PFAPublishing.com

And thanks to everyone for their comments about the book. Keep them coming!

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
woody
Embryo
Embryo

mailing

Post by woody »

Hi Vernon
Thanks for your reply, i look forward to it arriving.
regards alain
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I'm considering purchasing another copy to donate to my public library :D

Maybe next week.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Be careful; libraries have a strange habit of selling off donations instead of adding it to the library. My Piper At The Gates Of Dawn, A Saucerful Of Secrets, Wish You Were Here, The Wall, and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason saw their end because of this.
Good thing I backed them up on my computer.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Ah, yes...good point.

But then again, those weren't books (the chief content of a library.)
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

Hey Vernon why don't you give Keith a copy to give away to 1 of the active members through a question contest like he usually does.Just don't make the question 1 that you have to of read your book to know :lol:
FitchV
Axe
Axe

Post by FitchV »

flashback wrote:Hey Vernon why don't you give Keith a copy to give away to 1 of the active members through a question contest like he usually does.Just don't make the question 1 that you have to of read your book to know :lol:
We're not doing any book giveaways due to the limited nature of the book. Remember, this is a limited, numbered edition of just 5,000 books, and once it sells out it will not be reprinted.

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

You should all BUY a copy as you will regret it very soon!! I am currently deeply regretting not buying a copy of Psychedelic Renegades when I had the opportunity to do so!!!

Buy buy buy!!!!!!!!
ponkine
Blade
Blade

Post by ponkine »

Damn ! I can't do anything :( it seems the airmail shipping don't include the rest of the world :cry:

Then I tried to sign up on http://www.paypal.com but always appear "We are sorry this page cannot be displayed"

Does anyone in the USA or UK may help me out with a copy?. I think the easiest way will be to deposite the cash needed on a bank account :D including, of course the amount needed for airmail to get here :wink: that's about 68 dollars I think

Will you help me out? :D PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Coma Divine
Blade
Blade

Post by Coma Divine »

Woohoo! Just ordered mine!

<ii>