Embryo

Post by Woolyback02 »

Vernon are there any of the signed books left? :?:

I do hope so. :D
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

What happened to the suppossed Vernon Fitch interview?
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

That should be done for October's issue.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Woolyback02 wrote:Vernon are there any of the signed books left? :?:

As I understand, all copies of this book are signed by both authors.
FitchV
Axe
Axe

Post by FitchV »

Woolyback02 wrote:Vernon are there any of the signed books left? :?:

Yes. Copies of the Comfortably Numb book are still available. And all copies are signed.

Read more about it at:
http://www.PFAPublishing.com

Vernon Fitch
Pink Floyd Archives
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Just another quick accolade...just got my book for my b-day and it's incredible! I'm leaving for a trip and won't get to read more of it for awhile, but what I've read so far is great...LOVED the Toni Tennille (sp?) article! I'd always wanted to hear what she thought of the whole thing...the recording and the show itself!
pinkfloyd
Axe
Axe

Post by pinkfloyd »

I'm from Italy
I've ordered my copy on 28 august 2006, i'm still waiting :cry:

Waiting for the postman, the postmen to come :lol:
FransT
Axe
Axe

Post by FransT »

Thanks to a friend with a credit card my copy of this book finally arrived and I think It?s absolutely brilliant!

Over the past 27 years or so I thought I gathered a bit of knowledge about the Wall album and the live shows (I was at the show on June 13 1981) but the authors of this book overwelmed me with information I never ever knew anything about..

What a great piece of Work, my kudos to you guys!
Many Thanx!
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Question about the films used during the Wall shows:

I'm watching the Harvested DVD, and have noticed that apparently the only film shown on Mr. Screen during the whole concert is the fu**ing flowers, and it doesn't even go into the film for "What Shall We Do Now" as it does in the Wall movie. (Due to some creative editing, the Harvested DVD actually shows the fu**ing flowers animation twice...it plays again during "What Shall We Do Now" rather than the film shown in the movie.) The only other two things they show on the screen are the hammer logo at the beginning and stills of the teacher during ANBITW2. Was the fu**ing flowers film the only actual motion picture they showed on Mr. Screen?!? Seems kind of silly to have the screen set up just for one film. I can't remember if other videos I've seen of other Wall shows featured any other movies, such as the "What Shall We Do Now" film, or the "Goodbye Blue Sky" one (also missing from the Harvested DVD), etc. At the Berlin '90 show, there was even a film of a street during "One Of My Turns", but apparently nothing at the original shows.

(This also means some of the animations must have just been made for the movie...I'd assumed they'd all been in the concert.)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Freddie Mercury wrote:(This also means some of the animations must have just been made for the movie...I'd assumed they'd all been in the concert.)
There was a time when animation took a long time to create.

It's not that some of the animations had "just been made for the movie," so much as they simply weren't finished by the time the shows were underway.

Keep in mind, also, that The Wall was a continuous project for some five years or so. The live shows weren't intended to be the "finished project" so much as just another phase of development of the idea.

Apparently the animation for "Goodbye Blue Sky" wasn't even originally intended for that song.

According to Roger's first draft of the screenplay, that animation was originally slated for "In The Flesh?"

But, to answer your question...apparently the flowers WERE the only motion pictures used on the screen during the concert.

The rest of the motion pictures were in the second half and projected upon the wall itself.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Actually, it looks like during Goodbye Blue Sky there *may* be an animation of a moon and some blue clouds in front of it (totally different than that used in the movie)...it is so dim though that it's difficult to tell....
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yeah...forgot about that.

It IS a moon and clouds. If you listen to the recording of the first night's show (when the overhead drapes caught fire from the fireworks,) that's how Roger describes where the show is going to pick back up.

"We'll go back to the bit where the moon was out and the clouds were moving in front of the moon...you know the bit where the moon was out and the clouds were moving in front of the moon..."

Or something like that, anyway.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote:Yeah...forgot about that.

It IS a moon and clouds. If you listen to the recording of the first night's show (when the overhead drapes caught fire from the fireworks,) that's how Roger describes where the show is going to pick back up.

"We'll go back to the bit where the moon was out and the clouds were moving in front of the moon...you know the bit where the moon was out and the clouds were moving in front of the moon..."

Or something like that, anyway.
Hah cool. It looks like it would be very atmospheric if I could see it better. Did they ever end up using the other version of the Goodbye Blue Sky film or What Shall We Do Now as they appear in the movie, or did all the shows end before those were done? (And is all this in the book? :) If so I have it and could look it up I suppose....)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If they weren't used by the shows of the Harvested DVD (which would be the last run of shows, I believe,) then...no. They never used them.

Goodbye Blue Sky as appears in the film was never used in the live shows. Gerald Scarfe and his crew were still making it at that time.

The bit after the flowers in What Shall We Do Now is likewise...it wasn't finished before the shows, so it's seen for the first time in the movie.

Once again, the only motion pictures used in the first half of the show were the flowers (and the pterodactyl flying away) and the moon.

The eagle bursting out of the dove didn't show...the warlord with the crosses flying out of him didn't show...the frightened ones didn't show...the blood running down the gutter didn't show...the nazi busting a guy's skull in didn't show...the screaming head coming out of the wall didn't show...the wall with car grills, tvs and stuff filling the gaps didn't show...the screaming guy turning into the needle and bass and car and stuff didn't show...

Funnily enough (and probably because all this other stuff still wasn't completed,) some of what DID show in the second half was first used on the '77 tour for SOYCD and Welcome To The Machine.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

mosespa wrote:Funnily enough (and probably because all this other stuff still wasn't completed,) some of what DID show in the second half was first used on the '77 tour for SOYCD and Welcome To The Machine.
?!? Oh wait...I'm thinking the part with the floating man and leaf during the Trial may have been used for SOYCD for some reason. Was part of the WTTM film we all know used in the Wall show somewhere (though I never noticed it)? Or did they use a different film for that on some of the '77 tour?

(Feel free to stop answering all my questions at any time if I'm getting irritating hah)