Hyde Park - what did you think?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

DoctorFloyd wrote:By the way, has no one been able to find a bootlegg of this day? I am not a member on dime, and I can't remember my yeeshkul pw. Is there nothing on there, or anywhere? I'd really like to get hold of one. It's much better if the boot you are listening to is for the concert you went to. Verona is pretty good though.
Nothing on Dime yet
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

Well, a look at the footage on YouTube is probably going to be my only indicator of what it'll really be like in the concert (The Rio-cam was obsessed with the band). I'm looking forward to September more. That's a remarkably steady camera hand, too; although I'm not sure if it's the volume or the compression that caused such a problem with the audio. A sync of the camera with another source (if one pops up... what IS it with this tour?) would be great.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

David Smith wrote:at Dave's you wouldn't dare sing along.
at Massey Hall folks sang along to what they could, the 2 encores especially
folks whooped and cheered at the slightest incident throughout
and the bit where he played the banjo in the 1st half was like a hootenanny,
there were loud yips and hollers from all corners of the room for the short duration of the song, it was like he was accompanying a spontaneous improvisation from the audience
David Smith wrote:On to the lip synching, gotta say he certainly did not sing the bits in Sheep where te nte continues at the end of a line (he stepped away from the mic and they were taken directly from the album)
why should he be required to sing live these bits of studio trickery?
both that and the "hold onto the dream" bit from The Gunners Dream feature Rogers voice being artificially extended for an unusual length of time before transmogrifying into a different sound (a guitar in one, a saxamaphone in the other)
I'll have to revisit the 1977 and 1984 shows again to hear if he ever did try to do those bits live, but really, itd be like recreating the cashregister sound effects live using the shards of pottery or whatever his source sounds were way back then (which would be very cool if he tried!)

btw i recall a review of Gilmours 1984 solo tour kvetching that Daves voice is so processed that its difficult to appreciate the true quality of his singing - I never knew what precisely was meant by that, but he does like to drench his voice in a lot of echo
chuckmein
Axe
Axe

Re: Hyde Park - what did you think?

Post by chuckmein »

meddleinthemiddle wrote:I know this is a really obvious post, but goddamnit yesterday was good!
(I warn you though, this is gonna sound cheesy as hell!)

It was the first time I'd ever seen a member of Pink Floyd and it was just so perfect. For me, he performed everything about the floyd that I love them for and was a note perfect reproduction (the guitarist and sax player were particularly impressive.)

It was just one of those experiences I'll never forget: hearing these songs that i love so much, being played in front of me by the man who wrote them, singing each word with thousands of other people. You all feel kind of 'connected.'

Highlights for me were Darkside, (especially Great gig, with those wonderful vocals, and eclipse - it just felt so epic)
also, shine on, wywh and comfortably numb were special.

It was wthout a doubt the best gig I've ever been to. I'm sure other people who've seen any of them will know what I'm talking about. There were certain moments you know when the hairs on the back of you're neck stand up, and you just can't believe what you're seeing.

What did anyone else think?
:smt040

Thanks for the review Meddleinthemiddle, it has me looking forward to Toronto that much more.

Chuck
chuckmein
Axe
Axe

Post by chuckmein »

J Ed wrote:
David Smith wrote:at Dave's you wouldn't dare sing along.
at Massey Hall folks sang along to what they could, the 2 encores especially
folks whooped and cheered at the slightest incident throughout
and the bit where he played the banjo in the 1st half was like a hootenanny,
there were loud yips and hollers from all corners of the room for the short duration of the song, it was like he was accompanying a spontaneous improvisation from the audience
David Smith wrote:On to the lip synching, gotta say he certainly did not sing the bits in Sheep where te nte continues at the end of a line (he stepped away from the mic and they were taken directly from the album)
why should he be required to sing live these bits of studio trickery?
both that and the "hold onto the dream" bit from The Gunners Dream feature Rogers voice being artificially extended for an unusual length of time before transmogrifying into a different sound (a guitar in one, a saxamaphone in the other)
I'll have to revisit the 1977 and 1984 shows again to hear if he ever did try to do those bits live, but really, itd be like recreating the cashregister sound effects live using the shards of pottery or whatever his source sounds were way back then (which would be very cool if he tried!)

btw i recall a review of Gilmours 1984 solo tour kvetching that Daves voice is so processed that its difficult to appreciate the true quality of his singing - I never knew what precisely was meant by that, but h

e does like to drench his voice in a lot of echo
J Ed , I was at the DG April 10th show , if you were at that date did you see David put his hand up after the lap steel solo in High Hopes , he was basically telling the ' hooten and hollers ' to ease off a bit so he could finish the song on the nylon acoustic, very cool indeed.

Chuck
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

J Ed wrote:why should he be required to sing live these bits of studio trickery?
Just pointing out he does, wasn't actually complaining.

I accept the note was studio trickery, and really it's far better to hear it like that than it would be to not hear it atall :)
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

chuckmein wrote:J Ed , I was at the DG April 10th show , if you were at that date did you see David put his hand up after the lap steel solo in High Hopes , he was basically telling the ' hooten and hollers ' to ease off a bit so he could finish the song on the nylon acoustic, very cool indeed.
that was the 2nd night right? that was the one i went to
no I didnt notice him do that, but where I was sitting (2nd balcony, left side) I had to keep shifting and moving just to see what he was doing, especially when he played the lapsteel bits in the 2nd set (when he'd move in front of the drumkit, stage left)
do you think us hosers were inappropriately rowdy?
nobody shouted out "Yeeshkull", I was hoping that character would put in a reappearance
AtomHeartMomma
Knife
Knife

Post by AtomHeartMomma »

[quote="mdp963"]This year is the 40th anniversary of the first time I saw Pink Floyd - I have seen them probably over 30 times

WOW....How did you get to see them so many times.....I have seen only 4 PINK FLOYD shows.....everything from Animals '77 to PULSE....and saw Roger for this last 2 tours....Amused to Death and KAOS. Will be seeing the NYC concerts in September in NYC.

Would have loved to see David, but all shows in my area were sold out within minutes :( .

I hope to enjoy these upcoming shows as much as I enjoyed all the others. I have been reading pros and cons (no pun intended) of his show and hope that the pros outweigh the cons....

:D
hi-watt
Blade
Blade
Location: everywhere and nowhere baby, thats where I'm at (or try Dorset UK)

Post by hi-watt »

Glad i didnt go by the looks of it, what video footage i have seen, the band sounds tired and all the songs soung plodding and slow. I'm sorry Rog, you dont have the vocal ability to carry the "frontman" job anymore (if you ever did).

With David's RAH show still fresh in my mind, I'm glad that his musical perfection wasnt ruined by the "big-hairy-rock-band-on-tour" sound that Roger uses (as on the in the flesh tour where i did see him and thought much the same)

I hate Hyde park too

God i'm in a bad mood today :evil:
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

Well it's been over a week and this is the first chance I've had to comment on the show.

TERRIBLE

Okay, maybe I'm being dramatic to call all of Roger's show terrible. Only the second half and encores were terrible. The first half of the show was pretty good, except the vocals during Fletcher and Sheep, which were definitely not being sung live. And I doubt Roger was playing the bass part we were hearing during Sheep.
Have A Cigar, Perfect Sense and Leaving Beruit were my favourites from the first half.

Dark Side only got one applause from me - Great Gig.
The transition from Speak to Me into Breathe was horrible sounding, On The Run was an exercise in unnecessarily loud screaching noises, and general "cover band" feel of Time didn't do anything for me.
Money was a disaster. The samples were partially non-existent, Roger's bass playing was abysmal, the female vocals sounded cheap and cheesy, the guitar solo was somewhat lacking, and the segue into Us & Them was so abrupt one would think the click track jumped so the band did the same.
Us & Them lacked Gilmour's vocals, and Roger's miming to the chorus didn't work at all, although Jon Carin did an admirable job, even if he never appeared on the big screens. Unfortunately, he screwed up the ACYL intro and the track just went nowhere after that.
Brain Damage and Eclipse I thought might fare somewhat better, being the two Waters vocal tracks. But no, they suffered the same fate of being bombastically loud, drowned with female backing vocals and musically stale.

The encores might have been reasonable, but I was in a bad mood by this point and didn't care what he played. Although Snowy totally ruined the end of Comfortably Numb.

I'm just glad I'd gone to Hyde Park for the full weekend and not just the Saturday. Every band on the main stage on Sunday were better than every band on the Saturday.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

You thought the Razorlight performance was better than Roger Waters ?

:shock: :? What did you just take ? Can I have some ? :o :lol:
db_intheflesh
Blade
Blade

Post by db_intheflesh »

thrill-seeker wrote:You thought the Razorlight performance was better than Roger Waters ?
I definitely thought the Razorlight performance was better than DSOTM!
That's twice I've seen Razorlight at Hyde Park (last time was supporting Queen a year ago), and both times they rose to the occasion and put on a great set. They might just have found a fan in me!
simonc12345
Embryo
Embryo

Post by simonc12345 »

:D Truely awsome. It's the second time I have seen Roger this year. The 1st was at the Rock in Rio gig on the 2nd of June( Lisbon Portugal). That was even better. Anyone wanting details of that,contact me.
I did feel for Sharleen Spiteri of Texas before hand, one having to deal with that eeejut who threw the shoe, and two having to contend with the penalty shootout. Guess she would have felt different had Scotland been in the same position.( Fat chance)