Syd Barrett RIP - Pay Respects Here - No New Threads Please!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

olzen wrote:There's still a bit of space below "Neptune Pink Floyd". It may wind up being too cluttered, though. It's just a suggestion, but they're the most sincere and appropriate words I can come up with.
I agree, or perhaps somewhere in the center, slightly smaller print
davidjay
Hammer
Hammer
Location: spiraling down to the hole in the ground where i hide

Post by davidjay »

the masthead looks good. i just logged onto e! online to do a little show prep for my radio program and was blown away when i saw the story on syd. i've got goosebumps. the good thing is that we still have his music. the crazy diamond will continue to shine on. rip syd.
Gem
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Gem »

This is such sad news.

Thanks for everything Syd.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I added Wish You Were Here to it.

goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

Shine on you crazy diamond
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

Keith Jordan wrote:I added Wish You Were Here to it.

That looks great Keith.

Sky News have just given Syds passing another mention, with some footage from the London 66-67 video.
Maisie
Axe
Axe

Post by Maisie »

Jonesy thanks for the flashing syd pics ... and no i don't thiunk its distatsefulat all to post the recent pics Keith- that is how he looked and i think when many of us saw those pics we felt something..that his health must have gotten worse ..but at least we know he was riding his bike and reading his papaer so clsoe to the end... i gotta say guys that it feels good to know i can be here now.. those of us who are syd fans in the Us feel very alone most of the time... but just last night i stumbled into a poetry reading quite by chance and ened up talking about syd with the leader who said to me"syd was a true Poet"
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Personally, i don't know what to make of this, It's almost unreal to be honest, one of our generation and leading lights of the flower power psychedelic movement isn't around anymore, oh so very sad but how can words do justice to this man really.
One thing comes to mind, i remember Rick Wright saying how much he would love Syd to walk through the door and want to play again now that will never ever happen.
Bless Syd Barrett and thankyou for what you gave us and started way back in the 60's.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

You know, I just listened to Piper and am now giving Barrett another listen... and I'm rather suprised that I came to terms with Syd's death so well. My earlier post was an instinctive make-me-and-others-feel-better reaction, but I realized that it was also entirely correct; Roger Barrett couldn't have gone out much better. The Syd I'm listening to now, the one who made I Am The Walrus look coherent and invented shredding, left us in 1971; and I and hopefully the rest of us got over that quite a while ago. Now we don't have much to mourn but a random old man who died under perfect conditions with nothing else left to do.

Listening to his work doesn't bring a tear to my eye as I cope with his death like other artists do; John Lennon's "Grow Old With Me", George Harrison's "Brainwashed", Frank Zappa's "Civilization Phaze III", and the like do that. I guess it feels better to know that Syd wasn't chopped down mid-step, and simply finished his job and lived happily and in control of his fate. As I said, it's better to fade away than to burn out
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

i have been planing on buying this dvd for a while The Pink Floyd And Syd Barrett Story: The Definitive Edition (2 Discs) This is my way of saying thanks to Syd for bringing the world Pink Floyd might not sound alot to to people is for me though even though im not as into Syds era of Floyd as some other members but i have always respected Syd for what he has created and his legacy will live on like Pink Floyds music a timeless legend created by a timeless person whos legacy will live on in music forever.

I will play Piper tonight as my mark of respect to Syd Barrett Syd was a legend after he left Floyd and he will be a legend and an idol to a new era of Floyd fans following his death a tragic loss thanks Syd for everything you have done for music wont be forgotten as you have been a inspirational since the 60's and it wont change ever.
mister_knobbs
Blade
Blade

Post by mister_knobbs »

Rest in peace Syd.

You're always going to be with us, we'll never forget what you have created.
hootonr
Embryo
Embryo

Post by hootonr »

My condolenses to the Family I have been a fan since the 60's have collected eveything I could since then. Now will mean even more. BTW, what is really strange, is my father died on the same day! 7 July 2006

My heart is with both

Hooty :cry:
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

hootonr wrote: BTW, what is really strange, is my father died on the same day! 7 July 2006
Oh my! I am sorry to hear that. My thoughts are with you also then.
cloudview
Embryo
Embryo

Post by cloudview »

Small poem I wrote after hearing the news... (like 20 min ago)
Its not very good, but it helped me lament

There was a man so great his fate was dieing tw?ce
A piper who started a curious band of mice
and in the end combined by stardom and vice
created a legend that manz were inticed

He started a path with a magical tune
Progressed before progressive but peaked too soon
His shadow then cast on both sides of the moon
The maddest of cappers but never a lune

He set the pace of many a rat race
but soon his smile was swept from his face
and we can only feel a real small taste