Syd Barrett RIP - Pay Respects Here - No New Threads Please!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
jenny
Embryo
Embryo

syd

Post by jenny »

:( :( :( shine on you crazy diamond-R.I.P. :( :( :(
stranger at home
Axe
Axe

Post by stranger at home »

Everyone here has been deeply touched by Syd Barrett in one way or another. Obvioulsy, without him, the greatest band in the world would never have been. And their greatest albums would never have been produced. Although he hasn't really been with us in over 30 years, his breif, albeit enormous contribution shaped the landscape of modern music as we know it.

We will all carry Syd with us in our hearts, while we should spend a few moments of quiet reflection to remember him, and then break it with a full listening of the Wish You Were Here album. A fitting memorial.

How we ALL Wish You Were Here, Syd. You will be sadly missed by millions of people you never knew, and you will never know how deeply you have touched our lives.

"So equally over a valley, a hill
Wood on quarry stood, each of us crying
A velvet curtain of gray
Mark the blanket where the sparrows play
And the trees by the waving corn stranded
My legs move the last empty inches to you
The softness, the warmth from the weather in suspense
Mote to a grog - the star a white chalk
Minds shot together, our minds shot together..." - Syd Barrett ("It is Obvious")
crazydiamond24
Embryo
Embryo

Post by crazydiamond24 »

Thank you Syd for just being. Your light showed me the way through some of the darkest of times. If it wasn't for you, I don't know what or where I would be now. Your Influence on those that influenced the world will live on forever, as long as Pink Floyd is mentioned, I will think of you. I always felt that since your time with the rest of the band ended that you were searching for a peace that I hope you found. Certainly now, peace embodies your soul and because of that live on and be proud. Of course in my eyes you will always Shine On on me until I have reached that place where I can thank you in person.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Thanks to Tom Robinson on BBC Radio 6 for conveying the message I sent on NPFs behalf for Syd.
Massed Gadgets
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Massed Gadgets »

Even though he's been living a quiet life out of the spotlight for decades, it's still hard to imagine a world without Syd Barrett. When someone like Syd, who has had such a profound influence in my life and my music dies, it is like part of me dies too. But the memory and the music live on forever.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond...
Last edited by Massed Gadgets on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wiped
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by wiped »

Its Sad ... but then Death is .... see ya Syd.
Charade I am
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Charade I am »

very surreal....and the thought of him probably dying alone makes it sadder. rest in peace syd.

Charade.
Last edited by Charade I am on Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Keith Jordan wrote: We will have to do something else if we want to mark the occasion.
Some members here could meet up in Cambridge...visit his grave....in the future. I wasn't being funny. This is not a joke.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Syd is now at peace. It is great that we have his musical legacy to remember him by and to celebrate his achievements. Also great to know that his last few years were spent in peace and comfort.
doctor_strange
Embryo
Embryo

Tears for the Piper

Post by doctor_strange »

I almost feel like crying. I feel hollow. This is terrible... What a genius that we lost. Also another victim of the terrible scourge of diabetes. :cry:
Floydian Slip
Axe
Axe

Post by Floydian Slip »

This is the first time I've cried since my dad died.

I just can't take it in.

RIP Syd, I never met you but I will miss you.
HACKS
Axe
Axe

Post by HACKS »

R.I.P Sid
lantald
Embryo
Embryo

Post by lantald »

How sad! Rest in Peace Syd!
Yet, how strange, the day Syd died, I went to the concert Roger Waters gave in Ahoy, Rotterdam (NL)....
Black Hole Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Black Hole Sun »

Rest in peace Syd Barrett

One of my biggest heros, influences, and inspiration.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
The Gil
Blade
Blade

Post by The Gil »

Rest in peace Brother! :( :cry: