Syd Barrett RIP - Pay Respects Here - No New Threads Please!

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

Thats GREAT thrill-seeker, thanks...
butters
Embryo
Embryo

Post by butters »

shine on you crazy diamond , shine on . :cry:
Erik-Jan
Embryo
Embryo

R.I.P.

Post by Erik-Jan »

It's so sad when somebody you have great respect dies.
But I think Syd has found his peace now.
This Diamond will live on in his music.
Shine On
CaseyDFloyd
Embryo
Embryo

WOW.

Post by CaseyDFloyd »

My very inspiration for playing music, no, for LIVING, is dead. Ironic how this morning I was walking to the store in the pouring rain thinking of Syd and if he'd ever play music again. First thing I get home I check my email and get the dreaded NPF newsletter telling me about Syd. I'm gonna listen to all my Syd albums as well as buy the PULSE DVD to pay my respects. THE MADCAP IS STILL LAUGHING!
redicesoul
Embryo
Embryo

far and wide his light shone

Post by redicesoul »

just received an email from a friend trekking near everest telling me he'd just heard and is now listening to opel whilst staring at an unclouded view of the summit... and it shines like a diamond.
Floyd McDuff
Blade
Blade

Shine on Syd

Post by Floyd McDuff »

:smt022 Shine On Syd :smt022
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

My one overriding feeling today on reflection is i feel desperately sorry for him. All the stories of his downfall over drugs and how the life was sucked out of him after all that and then add to it the fact that he had to drop out of life almost altogether after all that, it's all just so sad.
He was an incredibally talented guy and very handsome looking yet ended up the way he did, i guess some people in life are just destined to lose.
I have a friend that had his drink laced with acid for a 'joke' about 20 years ago, he went into a psychiatric hospital for months after it happened and i still see him from time to time but he has never been the same since, you can just see it in his eyes and in what he says and we all accept that that is how he will be for the rest of his life, tragic just like what happened to Syd.
Drugs can be very creative and an experience but they aren't without risk but in Syd's case, they made a creative genius into a total recluse and i bet for the most part, an unhappy one.
micksoul
Embryo
Embryo

Terrible news!

Post by micksoul »

A great man left our world but his legacy will continue forever.
I?m so sad about this. :(
tam shreenan
Embryo
Embryo

sis

Post by tam shreenan »

You Where a true dimond RIP :( :( :?
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Sleep well Syd.Let's make this a celebration of a truly unique,visionary talent.I played Piper today,of course,and driving around in the sun it sounded better than it has for years.His mark will be on us forever.
Parish
Knife
Knife

Post by Parish »

Not at all, what was intended sir...
Last edited by Parish on Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walter5
Blade
Blade
Location: 13th Floor Elevator, Enron Hubbard Bldg. Houston Texxas

Post by walter5 »

moodyblue wrote: I have a friend that had his drink laced with acid for a 'joke' about 20 years ago, he went into a psychiatric hospital for months after it happened and i still see him from time to time but he has never been the same since, you can just see it in his eyes and in what he says and we all accept that that is how he will be for the rest of his life, tragic just like what happened to Syd.
Drugs can be very creative and an experience but they aren't without risk but in Syd's case, they made a creative genius into a total recluse and i bet for the most part, an unhappy one.
You can't blame the drugs. In your friend's case, you can blame the f*ckers that slipped him that kind of a Mickey. When one takes a trip, ones baggage should always be taken into account. If one has a predispostiion to schizophrenia, a hallucinogen is going to exacerbate that; as a crisis intervention counselor back in the 70's I saw that time & time again. This, IMHO was what happened to Syd. Syd had a problem, the chemicals eventually made it much worse. That's a shame, but there's nothing that can be done about it now. People didn't know then what they know now about a number of subjects including mental illness and psychopharmicology.
matknny
Hammer
Hammer

Post by matknny »

Well done on everyones support i must say you would have made syd proud

Emidatley after the anouncement of Syds death the site was flooding with people so much so it crashed for me and others

Again RIP Syd
crofloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by crofloyd »

... travelling by telephone...

he was a prophet