Syd was no acid casualty or recluse

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
MadJedi
Judge!
Judge!

Post by MadJedi »

my breakfast. wrote: "Fans" tried to dig up Jim's grave to check the dental records! ...
only becouse only one person ever saw his dead body, no autopsy was done, there was/is no police record/report etc... and alot of people think that the coffin is empty, or atleast does not contain his body.
i dont think hes dead, but sadly syd is... and as far as elvis, after lisa marie married mj that is proof enough bout elvis, he would have dissowned her, he was very racist.
bkovacs
Axe
Axe

Post by bkovacs »

I'm sure his sister is being very honest about her brother. He was just someone who lived a normal life. We all have things that are unique about us. Seems to me his hobbies were art, gardening, and photograpghy. Nothing strange about that. Kept himself presentable. Nothing strange about that. Liked bike riding. Well here in the States alot of people go mountain biking. Nothing weird about that. It's good exercise. He enjoyed jazz. Roger Waters enjoyes classical. He liked talking to kids and being with his relatives. I think he was down right smart keeping himself away from the media. He may have been a crazy diamond years ago. But now he should be remembered as someone who went from being a crazy diamond to an ordinary guy from Cambridge who survived the sixties. Remember we all have some sort of strange habits in our lives. None of us are perfect. 8)
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

I agree some of what his sister said in the article doesn't seem to add up, I noticed it too.

I think the admission of being over-protective is very interesting. Rosemary stopped the interaction between "an old friend" and Barrett and dragged him away. I think this is very significant because until that point Barrett himself was responding.

My point is that although Syd/Roger obviously wanted to be left alone much of the time, this was not ALL the time, and yet it seemed his family wanted it to be ALL the time.

Barrett wasn't stupid which is why he signed those Mick Rock photos in 2002 because he knew the value of his legacy was keeping him in his chosen lifestyle, but also on a human level we can see from this episode that there was potentially more than this: on some days perhaps he may have been willing to be more open to the outside world.

The Barrett family are obviously quite close and very protective of him and this is understandable, but I do think it is the case that the family pushed the world away as much or probably more than Syd himself.

To be fair, the picture she paints of him must not only be seen in this light but also that the words are said by a person still in mourning who has still not yet buried her brother. However, judging by how the Barrett family has acted over the decades I do not expect their account of their brother to change.. and why should it? Could we really expect them to say, "Yes he didn't exactly dress very presentably did he? And yes, we WAS a bit antisocial.." Hardly!
The best we can do is piece together all the parts of the picture of the man, and hope we can see through the various distortions and biases of the family, friends and associates.

Thankfully nothing can take from the art, hopefully there is more to come..
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

[quote="bkovacs"]I'm sure his sister is being very honest about her brother. He was just someone who lived a normal life. We all have things that are unique about us. Seems to me his hobbies were art, gardening, and photograpghy. Nothing strange about that. Kept himself presentable. Nothing strange about that. Liked bike riding. Well here in the States alot of people go mountain biking. Nothing weird about that. It's good exercise. He enjoyed jazz. Roger Waters enjoyes classical. He liked talking to kids and being with his relatives. I think he was down right smart keeping himself away from the media. He may have been a crazy diamond years ago. But now he should be remembered as someone who went from being a crazy diamond to an ordinary guy from Cambridge who survived the sixties. Remember we all have some sort of strange habits in our lives. None of us are perfect. 8)[/quote]

I agree with bkovacs. There is nothing to suggest to me that Syd's family were over-protective, or part of some kind of conspiricy. His sister's words sound like she is talking about RK Barrett, the person that she and her family have been giving love and support to over the past 30 years or so. It doesn't fit with Syd the legend we like to fantasise about because that was just a small part in his life from a long time ago as far as the family (and seemingly RK Barrett himself) are concerned. Let's just listen to and enjoy his music and his legacy, and let the family grieve in peace and in private.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

There is nothing to suggest to me that Syd's family were over-protective
She admits it herself in the article.

Look at the more recent photos of him and say she was right about his dress sense. Re-read the point made above about his nephew.

Anyway, I think this is as far as I want to go in relation to these delicate issues right now other than what I said in my previous post.
moonwall
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by moonwall »

Atom Heart Sun wrote:
There is nothing to suggest to me that Syd's family were over-protective
She admits it herself in the article.

Look at the more recent photos of him and say she was right about his dress sense. Re-read the point made above about his nephew.

Anyway, I think this is as far as I want to go in relation to these delicate issues right now other than what I said in my previous post.

Now stop this analysing of Syd and his familymembers. She said what she said, she is his sister and she knows her brother. Leave it to that!
goldeneagle33
Blade
Blade

Post by goldeneagle33 »

I get the feeling from her interview that she was not quite normal either!
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Do not get me wrong, I am very grateful Rosemary granted an interview. What a hard time for her and the Barrett family!! I have alot of respect for her. My wife is a nurse, and though a rewarding job, it is also a very difficult one. But... her version of Syd just conflicts with everyone elses. We all have a tendency to put people we have loved and lost on a pedestal and forget their shortcomings, even in the face of people who know otherwise.

Did you watch the news after September 11th? Everybody who died was wonderful; great husbands, wifes, father's, mother's, sons, daughters, etc. etc. Each person who lost their life that day was one of God's greatest people in the eyes of their loved ones.

My wife's grandfather molested her, but when he died everybody seemed to forget about this fact. Yeah, maybe he did do alot of good things, but the world also lost a child predator. Good riddance!!
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

cwta eugene wrote:But... her version of Syd just conflicts with everyone elses. We all have a tendency to put people we have loved and lost on a pedestal and forget their shortcomings, even in the face of people who know otherwise.
Of all accounts we, the fans, have read about Roger Barrett, the man, Rosemary is the only one who actually KNOWS him.

We can read all we want about him being an "acid casualty"...but according to WHO? People who hadn't seen him in 30+ years?

I'm 28. I'd hate to think that people would still view me as they did even 5 years ago. People grow and change and it happens.

My 9 year old son has Asperger's syndrome. He, at times, is very vain about his hair. He won't let me touch it...and if I do it anyway, he'll go to great lengths to put it back the way it was. However, about a month and a half ago, he inexplicably went into the kitchen, got out the meat scissors, and chopped off a huge chunk of hair off of the top of his head. When asked why he did such a thing (he doesn't generally do strange things like that anymore...he did a lot when he was younger) he just said that he didn't know. I asked if he'd gotten gum stuck in his hair, and he said no, he just couldn't figure out why he did it.

If Rosemary suspected Roger had Asperger's syndrome...there is no explanation, then, for some of the things he'd have done. Answering the door in his underwear could be chocked up to that, had that been the case. It doesn't mean that in general (or when in a certain phase) he wasn't concerned with his appearance.

And who are we to be so ridiculous and demanding that we'd believe there MUST BE a photographer at the ready, waiting in the wings, every time the man left his house? Sure, he looks somewhat disheveled in some recent photos, but he looks quite nice in others.

Remember, we have only a very limited perception of the man and his life. We believe things because the media tells us so. It's in our nature. The recent photos of Mr. Barrett are few and far between...and don't forget, only extremely brief glances into his daily life. I'm sitting at the PC right now in only a long comfortable skirt and a bra, my hair thrown messily into pigtails, wearing glasses (which I *NEVER* wear in public) and the skin cream I wear at nights.....if someone were to photograph me right this instant, I'd be QUITE embarrassed. And when I go out in the mornings down the street to 7-11 for my daily coffee, I'm certainly not looking my best then either. I'm generally wearing an oversized messy t shirt that I'd wear around the house, ugly cut off shorts or comfortable skirts, or sweat pants. My hair always looks like crap and I'm not wearing any make up. That being said, I *DO* care about my appearance on the whole. I just don't feel the need to look my best when I'm sitting around the house or going out down the street to the convenience store. If someone published pictures of me from those little trips in a newspaper or magazine, people could easily look at these photos and say I'm a slob and I don't take care of myself. That's just simply not the truth, though. When I go out to work or to socialize, THEN I'll put an effort into how I look.

What can I say? People are people. Even former rock stars who just want to live a normal life (normal being subjective) are people too.
Chris Moise
Knife
Knife

Post by Chris Moise »

Last edited by Chris Moise on Thu Jun 29, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alternative 4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Alternative 4 »

Wow, I wasnt that tearful after hearing the news, but reading that was something different
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Can't we just leave her be?? She has just lost her brother. What do we want from her??
moonwall
Tracker Mod
Tracker Mod

Post by moonwall »

Pat Albertson wrote:Can't we just leave her be?? She has just lost her brother. What do we want from her??

I tried to say that some posts ago.
This tread is just too much.
Show some respect.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

TOO DAMN MANY PEOPLE have wrote:He was just someone who lived a normal life...
Please...qualify this statement.

I don't consider "a normal life" to be subsidized by about two or three years worth of effort.

I don't consider it "normal" for a person to be unable to "function in the job market."

Does anyone else consider these things "normal?" Maybe I'M the one who needs to be in a padded room.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

I'm going to go out on a limb here, especially since all of us will have different definitions of what is "normal".

However, I have had experience of what it is like to have a mental illness, and at the moment I am working as a mental health professional with people who are not able to live an independent life, hold down a job, and lots of other things most of us take for granted.

In my experience, all most people with a mental illness, or any other kind of illness/disability, want to do is have the chance to live what they consider to be a "normal life". It's up to us as to whether we give them that chance, but I don't think it is up to us to try and tell them or their family members what is "normal".