Syd was no acid casualty or recluse

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

And I don't think it's the fault of the people writing in this thread that making it negative, the article is what it is and people are giving their opinions of it.
Exactly. I was just giving my opinion. And I appreciate everyone elses, even if they don't agree with mine. Really, the story posted about the kid with Aspergers Syndrome that cut his hair is cool. Thanks for sharing it!!

The story that Syd went Mad and stayed a little mad holds alot of value to me. I like studying human nature, alot like Roger Waters does. It fascinates me. I think it fascinates many others as well, including the members of Pink Floyd. Maybe it's just that...a story...but, I can believe it can't I? as you are all entitled to believe about Syd what you like.

Also, it's been suggested this thread be locked. If we start locking threads for tastefully voicing one's opinions that may be contrary to another's, I'm not sure I'd like to be here anymore. :?
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

2066 wrote: "Happy, well-adjusted" people do not make the best tunes. They become accountants. :D
[-D-]
SydsMadcapGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by SydsMadcapGirl »

cwta eugene wrote:
And I don't think it's the fault of the people writing in this thread that making it negative, the article is what it is and people are giving their opinions of it.
Exactly. I was just giving my opinion. And I appreciate everyone elses, even if they don't agree with mine. Really, the story posted about the kid with Aspergers Syndrome that cut his hair is cool. Thanks for sharing it!!

The story that Syd went Mad and stayed a little mad holds alot of value to me. I like studying human nature, alot like Roger Waters does. It fascinates me. I think it fascinates many others as well, including the members of Pink Floyd. Maybe it's just that...a story...but, I can believe it can't I? as you are all entitled to believe about Syd what you like.

Also, it's been suggested this thread be locked. If we start locking threads for tastefully voicing one's opinions that may be contrary to another's, I'm not sure I'd like to be here anymore. :?
VERY well said. I've actually enjoyed having a bit of a "debate"...an exchange of opinions and ideas with others is never negative!

About the Asperger's kid who cut his hair...AKA my son Jakob...school starts here in Texas in less than a month and I have no idea still what to do about his hair! He's got a gigantic bald spot at the top of his head, and the rest of his hair is kinda long-ish and shaggy! I love his hair, it's part of what makes him so cute, and I don't want to be forced to shave his head!

Anyway...now back to our regularly scheduled programming...
Mustainez
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Syd was no acid casualty or recluse

Post by Mustainez »

Today just because a person is different than we are we write them off as a mental patient. I think Syd was normal, just different.
lostplay
Judge!
Judge!

Post by lostplay »

Mustainez wrote:Today just because a person is different than we are we write them off as a mental patient. I think Syd was normal, just different.
well said :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: syd is love

welcome to the forum

peace

Mustainez
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Mustainez »

Thanks a lot! (literally)
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

lostplay wrote:
Mustainez wrote:Today just because a person is different than we are we write them off as a mental patient. I think Syd was normal, just different.
well said :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: syd is love

welcome to the forum

peace

Indeed ;)

I remember seeing a man walking down a street, and talking to himself ALOUD. I do talk to other persons sometimes, too, but not that loud when people are around... then I realized he had a mobile telephone with headphones :lol:

Besides, I'd not consider him nuts anyway. I consider talking to oneself/"others" as an expansion of mind, a kind of dream come true. I want to talk to Beethoven - I ask him - though I do realize he's dead. I wanna fly - I fly. Simple.
stonehead404
Embryo
Embryo

Post by stonehead404 »

Well mental is a form of different.

After everything i have read about Barrett, Roger or Syd, it would appear at least on the surface that Rosemary Breen is seeing things through rose colored glasses. Roger was acting like a little kid running away from himself and she protected that, excused his angry fits of rage (cops and all), shaving all his body hair etc. face it, the man had coping issues.
I would appear, on the surface at least, Rodger killed his alter ego Syd because he probably saw Syd as a failure coming out of the 60's and to the early 70's and he simply couldn't deal with that. Rodger created Syd back in the day and he took him out just as quick. Roger talks about Syd in the third person which speaks volume about his mental state. When you start talking about your self in the third person it would clear to most there is a phycological problem. Schizophrenia is the main theory i like most would tend to agree. We can romanticize the idea that the man has such a brilliant mind that we "norms" just cant understand him, at least thats what his sister would want us all to believe. Through f his music he wrote about people and the world not connecting with him. He was "lonely and unreal", "your the kind of girl that fits into my world". The guy was screaming it out through his music and no one was listening.
Syd was anything but happy to be tossed from Floyd. And then to have 2 dismal solo albums after that. Syd simply couldn't deal with failure! He buckeled under the pressure. Don't get me wrong i love his solo stuff but back when it was released it didn't go anywhere especially when it was compared to the first floyd album and that was exactly the benchmark he was expected to surpass. You can hear it in his voice, listen to songs like Lucy Leave, Arnold Layne, and Syd is singing his balls off, he sounds terrific then listen to anything from his solo albums, he has lost all confidence in his musical ability. The man was lost, as he said in on of his last interviews "he was treading the backwards path" Goin home, back to the womb, safe and secure.
I have recently immersed myself in Syd Barrett material, music and books and it has really put the hook in me. I find myself reading to all hours of the night and listening to his songs. One thing has become clear to me is that Syd was betrayed by the people that were supposed to love him for whatever the times or the reasons were. Floyd was becoming hugely successful and it would seem that the band would rather right him off than take serious steps to get him help. Then when Syd went home his sister and mother should have got him some help but they sheltered him. Rosemary seems almost embarrassed to admit the her brother is sick. "he has a different mind." as she likes to put it And that Syd was happy when he "quit" floyd because he didn't like the business side of it or the expectation to write hit singles, BS. Pink Floyd was his creation, his band, and it all got ripped out of his hands cuz he couldn't handle the stress of being a rock star. Syd seemed to be always on top when he was growing up, he was smart, great sense of humor, good looking, had all the chicks, Painter, Poet, etc... he was a success before Pink Floyd even started, But then he fucked up he became famous, and that is what ruined him, Wouldn't be the first time, look at Morrison dead at 30,. that probably would of been Syd's fate if he had stayed in Floyd and not gone home to mommy. It seems that we will never know what really happened and it is left for all of us to interpret through the bits of information that remain. I think he was a great artist who for a brief time created some timeless music, but in the end........
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

1 hell of a first post stonehead404,hope your this involved with the rest of the forum,oh and the way welcome to the forum :lol:
Duckboy
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Duckboy »

moom wrote:
lostplay wrote: well said :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: syd is love

welcome to the forum

peace

Indeed ;)

I remember seeing a man walking down a street, and talking to himself ALOUD. I do talk to other persons sometimes, too, but not that loud when people are around... then I realized he had a mobile telephone with headphones :lol:
there was this kid who walks around at my school who is always talking to himself.. hes a bit strange good kid though but jumping up and down to brush your teeth seems a little more serious than talking to yourself.. maybe some people want to denie the effects of acid just because they dont want to believe that this good happen from taking it
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Can't add anything to these brilliances :D
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

stonehead404 wrote: Rosemary Breen is seeing things through rose colored glasses.
That´s easy. I would with some nice income from Floyd´s management :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

I think Syd could afford such a thing, at least once or twice a year, - I hope the income, in form of royalties, was real good :D
oldperfume
Blade
Blade

Post by oldperfume »

WAY to over protective, in my view. You're out w/ your sister, an old friend says hi & Rose shuns him away!? C'mon he's a grown man, let him act one. If Syd didn't want to talk to him, fine but I don't need my sister to tell me who I can & can't talk to. I think his whole family were too protective of him. Shop keepers liked him, kids adored him, yet he couldn't deal w/ his own nephew Ian!?! Something is wrong w/ this picture don't you think?. Gilmour had the right idea about going to see him again & he should've. Syd could have closed the door on him if he didn't want to talk. Rose didn't need to hold his hand all the time. This sounds like sugar coating a deeper problem. I f he used his "Madcapness" to get out of the biz, what's the problem of talking to a few old friends? "That time of his life upsets him if you bring it up" DUUUUH! They kicked him out of his own band; I'd be pissed too but time does heal all wounds & it's what he was eventually striving for anyway, what's the big deal.? We'll never know now so I say enjoy the tunes, man....enjoy the tunes.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

oldperfume wrote: Something is wrong w/ this picture don't you think?
Looks like Rosemary wanted to keep his brother in a good and tight leash... a bit like nursing. :lol: