Nick Mason - is it just me or...

Talk about other Floyd related musicians here.
Atom Heart Sun
Blade
Blade

Post by Atom Heart Sun »

If you're not a drummer you really shouldn't comment
Not true.

I am not a blues guitarist, but I still have the right to say that Eric Claptrap is less important to the furthering of the blues tradition than Captain Beefheart.

We can have opinions and share observations on Pink Floyd even though we are not in the band.

We can be passionate about flashpoints around the world even though we are not a soldier or politician.

If you ARE a drummer, then in this circumstance you are better placed for sure to enlighten us with your inside knowledge but you have no right to deny us our own comments.
Critics, as well as artists, can also be a good thing.

I've met plenty of musicians who think they can play or that they know their stuff when in reality their knowledge is limited and their playing is mundane and average, albeit technically proficient. So, even if you play the instrument yourself it still doesn't necessarily mean you are a better authority than a non-player.
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

Well said, Sun!
chrisroach
Embryo
Embryo

Post by chrisroach »

Atom Heart Sun wrote:
If you're not a drummer you really shouldn't comment
Not true.

I am not a blues guitarist, but I still have the right to say that Eric Claptrap is less important to the furthering of the blues tradition than Captain Beefheart.

We can have opinions and share observations on Pink Floyd even though we are not in the band.

We can be passionate about flashpoints around the world even though we are not a soldier or politician.

If you ARE a drummer, then in this circumstance you are better placed for sure to enlighten us with your inside knowledge but you have no right to deny us our own comments.
Critics, as well as artists, can also be a good thing.

I've met plenty of musicians who think they can play or that they know their stuff when in reality their knowledge is limited and their playing is mundane and average, albeit technically proficient. So, even if you play the instrument yourself it still doesn't necessarily mean you are a better authority than a non-player.
I agree 100% with that, and I really worded my original statement wrong. It's not that he shouldn't be able to comment, but I feel his/her comments are not really informed.

He/She just seems to be judging Nick's playing ability because a lot of his parts are not technical, or in your face, which is entirely no true. His tricky parts are in there, you just need to listen to the drums more closely.

Another drummer who is in the same boat as Nick is Phil Selway (Radiohead). For the most part his material is simple and relatively easy (No Surprises, Street Spirit, Karma Police etc.) because that's what the song calls for.

Then if you listen to the Pyramid Song, he lays down a very tricky and very intelligent drum line.

I just feel Nick deserves more credit that what he's getting. Without him who knows what the songs could have turned out like.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

chrisroach wrote: Then if you listen to the Pyramid Song, he lays down a very tricky and very intelligent drum line.

I just feel Nick deserves more credit that what he's getting. Without him who knows what the songs could have turned out like.
1. I agree, I absolutely love that line. It also feels as if the song wouldn't be good enough if it continued without drums. They did a good job - the first part is drumless, and then drums come in.
2. Nick really deserves more. If some says Pink Floyd is all it's members together, then everyone should be respected equally (the other thing is, who rights more...)