Syd's Guitars

All discussion related to Roger Keith (Syd) Barrett.
zag
Judge!
Judge!

Post by zag »

He could play lead backwards :lol:
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

zag wrote:He could play lead backwards :lol:
Ah, but could he play it forwards? ;) (insert Eric Morecombe quote here :D )
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

Yes, he was not a lead player in the traditional sense, but he did play some lead/solo's, but i think of him more as a great strummer.
tea-set
Hammer
Hammer

Post by tea-set »

zag wrote:He could play lead backwards :lol:
i cant believe he did the whole backwards guitar track inONE take!

moment of clarity indeed
Madshef
Embryo
Embryo

Syd's Guitars

Post by Madshef »

I phoned the Hard Rock in New Orleans after a friend of mine in Nashville claimed that they have the guitar that Syd used on Piper. The gal I spoke to researched this for me and was very nice about it too. She said that the Hard Rock does have some Syd artifacts including some guitars, though she didn't say how many they had. At the time of the call (pre-Katrina) she said that the pieces that they have do go on display from time to time and it's best to call or email to find out if and where they might be at the moment.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I was a little disappointed that the London Hard Rock Cafe had not Syd or PF things out (at least when I was there in 2003). Having said that, they did have lots of other great stuff from Jimi, The Who, Jeff Beck, etc. No Floyd:-(
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

howd Syds guitar end up in New Orleans?
PFralst
Knife
Knife

Post by PFralst »

Pat Albertson wrote:I was a little disappointed that the London Hard Rock Cafe had not Syd or PF things out (at least when I was there in 2003). Having said that, they did have lots of other great stuff from Jimi, The Who, Jeff Beck, etc. No Floyd:-(
Did you take a look downstairs?
As I remember from 1993 they had Mason?s drumsticks and Rogers bass.
vickyc007
Axe
Axe

Post by vickyc007 »

There's a Syd guitar up for auction in the last of his possessions which are going on sale.

http://uk.news.launch.yahoo.com/dyna/ar ... =l_news_dm
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Oh my!
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Wow. I would imagine that his paintings will be hot tickets. What I would give to have one of those....
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

2066 wrote:Wow. I would imagine that his paintings will be hot tickets. What I would give to have one of those....
Me too!!!
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

Perhaps considerdiscussing this auction subject in this thread....

http://forum.neptunepinkfloyd.co.uk/vie ... hp?t=13878

8)
Raglani
Embryo
Embryo

Re: Syd's Guitars

Post by Raglani »

Early guitar was a Hofner I believe. And he had another off brand electric as well that I cannot recall at the moment. I believe the Esquire that you see in those early shots (of the Bob Klose era floyd ) is the same guitar as the mirrored one. He just went psychedelic you know.... I do remember seeing a white Telecaster tho pretty early on ( that neck pick-up).
Also FYI I am pretty sure from the picture of the Games For May photos that he has at his foot the 1966 Vox Tonebender fuzz pedal (also at his foot a possible footswitch for the Echorec??). It's often written that he played a home made fuzz unit, which may be true but I'm fairly positive it's a Vox in the pic. There is a company in the UK called D.A.M that makes a really awesome sounding repro called the "1966". Been trying to track down one for my rig but they are pretty $$ and hard to come by in the states. I haven't seen a pic of the wah he used but I would assume it was a Vox as well... anyone know?
Also I recently picked up a Danelectro DC-59 reissue (the 2009 version (stacked pots)) and it is the Intersteller Overdrive sound for sure. Looks and sounds great but I must warn anybody interested in picking one up, that they are very cheaply made (in China) and will require some money thrown into it. I had to buy a new bridge right of the bat and now I have no choice but to get it professionally set up. The aluminum nut! what a nightmare for intonation! That's another $125 bucks! For the price of the guitar and all the work that has to go into I could have just got a Mexican Esquire reissue!

Amps... there the Selmer's. I read somewhere they used fenders on the solo stuff. There is a photo of Syd sitting in his flat (must be same session from the Madcap/Barrett cover shoot (meditating Syd)) where it looks like he's sitting in front of a small combo amp. Hard to see what brand since he's blocking it. Anyone have a clue to what brand? If I had to make a wild guess maybe a silverface fender champ?? Not sure.