I'm drunk

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
henno

Re: I'm drunk

Post by henno »

jambo wrote:But it's so much fun.
amen brother!!...
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

princessDungan74D wrote:I don't drink......its dumb getting so drunk you can't walk straight
In life we're all expected to be so sensible and straight and careful and measured and controlled and constrained. Society and family have structures and expectations and unwritten rules. Sure it is dumb to get drunk - but sometimes you just have to be dumb and foolish to throw of the shackles of conformity. For many people drinking is an appropriate , socially acceptable way of loosening societal shackles. The trick is to do it only occasionally and keep it under control; you don't have to drink so much that you can no longer function, but there is nothing wrong with being slightly drunk.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Beowulf wrote:
princessDungan74D wrote:I don't drink......its dumb getting so drunk you can't walk straight
In life we're all expected to be so sensible and straight and careful and measured and controlled and constrained. Society and family have structures and expectations and unwritten rules. Sure it is dumb to get drunk - but sometimes you just have to be dumb and foolish to throw of the shackles of conformity. For many people drinking is an appropriate , socially acceptable way of loosening societal shackles. The trick is to do it only occasionally and keep it under control; you don't have to drink so much that you can no longer function, but there is nothing wrong with being slightly drunk.
Yeah, besides, it's good to feel rock'n'roll once in a while :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

To continue on from Beowulf's point, you would be surprised how people on all levels of society get drunk. Where I live there are homeless guys squatting in a bit of an underpass, usually drunk. When my brother was a musician in London, he was required to play violin for the guilds in the city, 200 year old societies with a very exclusive guest list. Still those rich guys still drank way too much and behaved badly. I think every kid has to go through the experience of saying 'this is all very pointless and taxing on the wallet, why bother', but at the same time these people have to be drunk atleast once to make a valued judgement.
rosm
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by rosm »

Funny enough I just received an invitation to enter a questionair on whisk(e)y... And I saw a scientifical program on drinking on TV the other day. Apparently drinking gives some parts of the brain a reward, at least that's how it feels. Even animals get drunk from eating over ripe fruits.

It's nice to loosen up when drinking, but it's dumb to drink too much and have hangover... Boy, I must be pretty stupid ;-)
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

moom wrote:Feel relaxed, rock'n'roll :) ?
I feel relaxed when I am sober, and I cannot stand rock and roll. So, what are the other benefits?
my breakfast. wrote:I think every kid has to go through the experience of saying 'this is all very pointless and taxing on the wallet, why bother', but at the same time these people have to be drunk atleast once to make a valued judgement.
Let's apply this logic to another field.

I think that rape is very pointless, and don't think people should bother doing it. Your logic suggests that my point of view on the subject is valueless unless I try it. So, do you think rape is a pointless act with no benefits, or do you think you have to try it before making a judgement?

By the same measure, I feel no desire to drink alcohol. I am absolutely fine with sobriety and don't want to spend any money on something for the sake of meeting social expectations if I don't find it even slightly appealing.
Hudini
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Hudini »

Oh hell yeah I am. Keef or someone, feel free to delete my drunken posts if you find them drunken or something.
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

*hick*
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:To continue on from Beowulf's point, you would be surprised how people on all levels of society get drunk. Where I live there are homeless guys squatting in a bit of an underpass, usually drunk. When my brother was a musician in London, he was required to play violin for the guilds in the city, 200 year old societies with a very exclusive guest list. Still those rich guys still drank way too much and behaved badly. I think every kid has to go through the experience of saying 'this is all very pointless and taxing on the wallet, why bother', but at the same time these people have to be drunk atleast once to make a valued judgement.
.. working on getting to a point where i can make a "valued judgement" right now :D
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Great! Go for it!
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

my breakfast. wrote:Great! Go for it!
I did, the resultant 'valued judgements' were spot on - sadly, I cannot now remember what they were
David Smith
Location: Edinburgh or Aberdeen depending on the time of year

Post by David Smith »

PublicImage wrote:what are the other benefits?
I find drinking can be a very good social thing. There's a certain fun in going out with a group of close friends and all letting loose together which i can't be appreciated by people who don't do it. I would say i respect one's decision not to drink but i do feel they are missing out on the social aspects of an evening of drinking which ends up being fun, unpredictable and above all often very amusing that comes with sharing a night of debauchery
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Every time I enter the sort of place my friends like to go out to drink, I am left feeling tepid and tend to go home early. I just don't like the pub atmosphere, which doesn't really help. But oh well, I don't mind my own company, and I have nothing against people who do want to drink (I hate the self-righteous type of non-drinker).
Beowulf
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Beowulf »

PublicImage wrote:Every time I enter the sort of place my friends like to go out to drink, I am left feeling tepid and tend to go home early. I just don't like the pub atmosphere, which doesn't really help. But oh well, I don't mind my own company, and I have nothing against people who do want to drink (I hate the self-righteous type of non-drinker).
Increasingly I eschew mainstream pubs and bars on the basis that they serve a product I don't care for (fizzy, weak-as-piss lagers and alcho-pops) in an environment I find intollerable (loud, obnoxious 20-somethings, absolutely awful - and I mean really, really crap - music, rude and ignorant bar-staff). Sure the long-overdue smoking ban has hugely improved things but more often than not I would rather drink at home these days .... not that I have much choice right now (but that's another story)
my breakfast.
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by my breakfast. »

Beowulf wrote:Increasingly I eschew mainstream pubs and bars on the basis that they serve a product I don't care for (fizzy, weak-as-piss lagers and alcho-pops) in an environment I find intollerable (loud, obnoxious 20-somethings, absolutely awful - and I mean really, really crap - music, rude and ignorant bar-staff). Sure the long-overdue smoking ban has hugely improved things but more often than not I would rather drink at home these days .... not that I have much choice right now (but that's another story)

I have to make do with these venues... what you say is the truth. Sometimes the beer tastes dilute... but surely thats against the law?