do you believe in God

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!

do your believe in God?

yes
46%
no
54%

Total votes: 76

Slambient Expressway
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Slambient Expressway »

No. I guess I was repelled from the idea of getting into religion growing up being around Catholics. But that's not why I'm an atheist.
jambo
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by jambo »

Organised religion is terrible, but believing in God is ok.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Mosespa wrote:
It is not God's mission in life to make our lives easy...it is not His mission to protect us from the harms life has to offer...particularly not the things that we end up bringing down upon our own heads.

WHICHEVER God you believe in, I assure you that if you check your Holy Book (whatever it is,) you will find that God does not exist for your convenience...YOU exist for His.
Amen brother, testify!!

I believe God has to follow some rules:

1. I believe that he CAN NOT change. He will never fall from his exalted state.
2. I believe that he CAN NOT do away with evil completely. Otherwise I believe he loves us so much that HE WOULD protect us from everything evil, but HE JUST CAN'T!!
3. He CAN NOT do away with free will.
4. I believe that he also HAS TO follow certain laws of nature. I believe, as stated in my post above, that God was not always God, but was once like we are now, gaining knowledge and learning how to decipher between good and evil. Eventually, after eons and eons, he mastered everything and was exalted to the status of God, to rule over his children forever. This means that in order to create worlds he had to learn math, science, chemistry, etc. Yes, he can be everywhere at once, and yes he can move mountains with the pointing of his finger, which contradicts our thinking of the laws of nature, but he has learned so much more about these laws than us. THINK ABOUT THIS: If you had told somebody even 200 years ago that they could transmit audio/visual signals in the air from one corner of the Earth to another in a matter of seconds and that these signals would deliver a message or a picture to somebody on that other corner of the Earth, do you think, given what they knew about the laws of nature then, that they would have believed you? Hell no!!! Now our understanding of nature has changed and we realize that such things CAN and DO happen.

God does create miracles that bewilder us and aid us in believing he exists, but he still has to follow certain laws to do so.

So this is why I believe Mosespa is right. He stated that God does not intervene and that is simply because he can't. Hurricanes, Volcanoe Eruptions, Tornados, Fires, and all other acts of nature happen because he simply has to obey the laws of nature. He cannot simply command the Earth to stop producing Volcanic gas or treacherous winds that develop into Hurricanes. In the same light, he cannot command Cancer and other diseases to not eat away at our flesh. He cannot stop a Rapist from fullfilling his evil desires. He cannot stop Israel from retaliating against Hezbollah. BUT, he CAN comfort our souls and give us LOVE, PEACE, and HOPE if we ask for it. Thus evil DOES exist and bad things DO happen to good people and there ARE wars and famines and there ARE diseases, yada, yada, yada.

Even if you don't agree with me on these things we still both love Pink Floyd right? \:D/
ObscuredEchoes
Judge!
Judge!

Post by ObscuredEchoes »

No. I was raised by the Mother of all Heathens, in her den of inequity...
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

Yes, I do believe in God! That does not mean that I have all the answers to those tricky questions, like how could He let my mum die? I do believe that He was there with Mum and me at the end, and that she is with Him now. One day I will be there too, and then at last I am going to get the answers to all those questions.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Pat Albertson wrote:how could He let my mum die?
Pat, I don't know what the circumstances of your mother's death were, but I assure you that she would have died some day of something or another.

Death comes to all of us...that's not God's fault. It's the nature of things.

Even if your question changes to that of "how could He let her die the way she died," there is still the fact that SOMETHING has to be the way that one ultimately dies.

Let me put it this way:

If I die of lung cancer...is it God's fault? Or is it my own fault for smoking like a frieght train?

It seems that people are just as quick to blame God for things that go wrong as they are to ignore Him when things go right.

Curious, isn't it?
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

No, I don't blame God for the death of my mum; in fact, the faith and trust that both Mum and me had/have made it a whole lot easier (if such a thing can be term "easy") than it otherwise would have been.

You are right that death comes to all of us, and when it comes to me, I will meet Mum again.

It would be cool if Syd was there as well, but that is strictly between Syd and God.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

I find it very difficult to believe that God exists in light of there being no evidence.

Human beings evolved to a state where the brain was uncomfortable comprehending why we existed, why we died, what happens when we die etc. The "mysterious" elements of our brains thus developed over time and then along came religion and odd belief systems.

Superstition, religion and other false beliefs are a waste of time and I am surprised that many people would wilfully die in their names.
pinknewbie
Hammer
Hammer

Post by pinknewbie »

Keith Jordan wrote:I find it very difficult to believe that God exists in light of there being no evidence.
Thats why its called "faith" :D

Yes I do believe in god, but In a quite informal fashion. I don't attend church but i pray almost every night.
Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

pinknewbie wrote:Thats why its called "faith" :D
Indeed!! :D Faith is shown to be culturally as a good thing but, without wanting to cause offence, I think it is mass organised stupidity!! :o :D

I believe logically there will be things we could now consider "super-natural" as we as humans are not very old as a species and our brains have a lot more developing to do. Humans are not as good as some think they are!!!

I mean.... the earth was flat at one stage! Perhaps one day we will discover what lies beyone this "universe" of ours and derive meaning from that. Perhaps only then will the false beliefs about there being a creator will be proven to be fallacy.

Or perhaps the creator wil reveal himself... or be found in a bunker in the middle east!!!! 8)
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Yes. But i dont believe that God looks or does the things that men have been telling for thousands of years.
That form of God is just someones imagination and perception.
I guess i believe in something that is far more greater then the words describing it.

I mean, who is in the right? We (christians), muslims, jews, budists etc?
Did people for milions of years believe in something that is false..something that does not exist? Like the god of sun and the moon?
Image of God has been altered through many years. People did that.
Cause they wanted to believe that there's something larger then them, something that draws all the strings. As i said, it's only a matter of someones perception how this God looks like.
But yes. I can say that i believe. But i still cant figure in what. And as a matter a fact, i dont even want to know. I dont even want to visualize it.
It doesent matter.
Whats important is that we all are a part of one race and that we all know what are the good values that makes us humans humain.
THAT is the most important thing.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Keith Jordan wrote:I find it very difficult to believe that God exists in light of there being no evidence.
That's a good way of putting it, I agree 100% with that statement.
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

PublicImage wrote:That's a good way of putting it, I agree 100% with that statement.
Stop sucking up to the admin! O--O

Btw., welcome back, PublicBanner. :lol:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Thanks, Dumb!t.

I do not believe in God and Keith's post was the most appropriate one to quote, it is that simple!

oh, it's actually PubicBanner, by the way!
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

The thought of a god maybe nice and fairytale like but at the end of the day i think religon was was formed by mistake by tellin stories to keep people in check from maybe going places they didnt want you to go or stoping you from harming your self and other folk in a nut shell from chinese whispers then over time these stories and so called miricals have adapted and been used by people who rule and command to keep people in check every reiligon has rules to follow (thou shalt not etc)

and it eventully had the opposite effect.. when people traveled across borders into different lands and cultures these beliefs had contradicted what one and another said and hey presto you live by 1 rule and break another no peace and harmony just war ever since

also people who live in third world countries have not got much choice in the beliefs they have and freedom or any other way of life because if you break the rules you get strung up heads chopped off etc putting the fear into people a form of terrorism to keep you in line ..
maybe this country could do with a bit of that but with out the religon cos there's some sick bastards getting away with all sorts of shit , pedo's rapist , and people who mug old folk and beat them up in there own homes . etc

on my belief:
i dont actually believe in god.. but when ever your in some sort of pain or somethings happend or you dont know what to do in certain circamstances you seem to ask somebody for help or somthing to guide you along the right path .. maybe your asking your own conscience or a inner self ,the back of you brain the bit we dont use ??? i dont know ?

is it ALIENS ?

anways im a NonbelieveR http://www.myspace.com/nonbeliever