do you believe in God

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!

do your believe in God?

yes
46%
no
54%

Total votes: 76

henno

Post by henno »

i wasnt kidding when i posted on th efirst page of this thread that 'i believe i am a god'.....

its my belief that everyone has, inside themselves, their own personal god... call it your soul, your conscience, whatever you want...

its my belief that forgiveness is a self inducing state... you are never truely forgiven until you forgive yourself.... guilt can stay with a person all their lives even after a priest has absolved them of their sins.... its your own personal conscience, made up by your upbringing and life experiences, that determine what is right and wrong..that determines what you should feel guilt or shame about, that determines your decisions...

people talk about fate or destiny, but at the end of the day, its your own personal choices that bring you to your goals, your life experience being the journey.... ultimately its your own persona that, on your dying bed, accepts whethever youve lived a good, full life or maybe you have regrets, sins, guilt?.....

now some out there may talk about a higher being, living up in the clouds with a long white beard and welcoming smile... others talk of Allah.. others of Krishna... and numerous other incarnations of a higher power.
all this goes to prove is that there is an instinctive inate need for humans to believe in a supreme power... well, for me, its... me..!

do i believe that god guides my hand?, ... yes....my 'god'..... not yours nor hers nor his..but mine.....
the same way the i believe that your god guides your hand..... after all, is the existance of the human soul not the most precious ideology ever?? and what if this soul is 'the highest power'? why does there need to be an all encompassing god? a 'father to all'?....

:?:
thrill-seeker
Hammer
Hammer

Post by thrill-seeker »

I know exactly what you're saying, henno. You pretty much layed out my thoughts as well :)

:)
chet
Embryo
Embryo

Post by chet »

Henno,

You know your belief is the highest degree of Sufism. That's when a Sufi, after many many years of worshiping God, says: I am God.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Gosh, Henno...that means that there are over six billion "gods" running amok on this planet.

It's amazing that anything constructive EVER gets done.
henno

Post by henno »

mosespa wrote: It's amazing that anything constructive EVER gets done.
yes, yes it is mossey! :D
grelch
Knife
Knife

Post by grelch »

henno wrote:i wasnt kidding when i posted on th efirst page of this thread that 'i believe i am a god'.....

its my belief that everyone has, inside themselves, their own personal god... call it your soul, your conscience, whatever you want...

its my belief that forgiveness is a self inducing state... you are never truely forgiven until you forgive yourself.... guilt can stay with a person all their lives even after a priest has absolved them of their sins.... its your own personal conscience, made up by your upbringing and life experiences, that determine what is right and wrong..that determines what you should feel guilt or shame about, that determines your decisions...

people talk about fate or destiny, but at the end of the day, its your own personal choices that bring you to your goals, your life experience being the journey.... ultimately its your own persona that, on your dying bed, accepts whethever youve lived a good, full life or maybe you have regrets, sins, guilt?.....

now some out there may talk about a higher being, living up in the clouds with a long white beard and welcoming smile... others talk of Allah.. others of Krishna... and numerous other incarnations of a higher power.
all this goes to prove is that there is an instinctive inate need for humans to believe in a supreme power... well, for me, its... me..!

do i believe that god guides my hand?, ... yes....my 'god'..... not yours nor hers nor his..but mine.....
the same way the i believe that your god guides your hand..... after all, is the existance of the human soul not the most precious ideology ever?? and what if this soul is 'the highest power'? why does there need to be an all encompassing god? a 'father to all'?....

:?:
For mankind, I think much of this can be summed up in 3, make that 2 and a half words:
fear of death.
henno

Post by henno »

grelch wrote: For mankind, I think much of this can be summed up in 3, make that 2 and a half words:
fear of death.

explain please....

death at the end of life is such a fleeting moment..... i prefer to think that some people out there are afraid of life, due to some of the indoctrined teachings theyve been force fed.... do this, dont do that, organised religion has some of the STUPIDEST rules i could have ever imagined.. this is me coming from a catholic background now.....

fear of death can be caused by many reasons....
.. the fear that there may be nothing else after death...
... the fear of a 'hellish' afterlife because of a life of sinning...
.... basically, the fear of the unknown....

but my belief of my inner god is more based on the numerous organised religions claiming that their god or gods is the One.... this is a huge flaw in their beliefs IMO....
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

Ive been wondering a lot lately since this topic sprung up if animals have a higher being to which they obide and be faithful to ????

i mean here's an example : do fish believe in cod ??? :lol: :roll:
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

jonesy wrote:Ive been wondering a lot lately since this topic sprung up if animals have a higher being to which they obide and be faithful to ????

i mean here's an example : do fish believe in cod ??? :lol: :roll:
Don't know if fish believe in cod but I believe in sharing my cod :lol:
tagreun
Embryo
Embryo

Post by tagreun »

I dont believe there is any devine being, we are here because of evolution and science and religion is just a way to keep the masses inline..
Foesad
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Foesad »

mosespa wrote:
J Ed wrote:some folks however prefer an omniscient being to take responsibility for all of lifes messiness, reasoning be damned
These folks don't understand what God is about, if you ask me.

God isn't here to take responsibility for life's messiness, or to make bad things happen to good people or to tell you what you should do next (that is, unless you ask Him, of course.)

I believe in God...I always have. Even at my most "atheistic," I believed in a supreme being of some sort...even if it was simply a "mass conciousness" (which actually would have been my worst nightmare given my relentless individuality.)

I don't cling to God because I need comfort that life exists beyond this mortal parenthesis...after all, if I believe in God, I obviously believe in the possibility of being cast out of His Presence for all eternity...so, there's still every possibility for me to screw it up.

I don't believe that life on this planet simply chanced itself into existence. I think that if that were the case, it would be happening a lot more frequently.

I'm curious to know how many people who DO believe that life on this planet "just happened by chance" also hold the dictum that "you cannot get something from nothing," and how they manage to justify the contradiction in their minds.

The same people who believe that things remain inert until acted upon by an outside force also believe that life just sort of spontaneously happened without being acted upon by an outside force.
Excellent points my friend. I've never been able to wrap my mind around that obvious conundrum either. Why havn't any of us ever seen matter spring from nothing before?

Yes I believe in God. I believe in His Son as well. Jesus is my savior for eternity. This, however, doesn't change my love for Floyd's music. SHINE ON! :wink:
Foesad
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Foesad »

jambo wrote:Organised religion is terrible, but believing in God is ok.
Organised religion has done many many wonderful things for mankind. It has done great things for individuals since the beginning.
cwta eugene
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cwta eugene »

Jonesy wrote:
i mean here's an example : do fish believe in cod ???
Stop messing up threads you Cod-Dam-Bass-Terd!! :D
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

mosespa wrote:Gosh, Henno...that means that there are over six billion "gods" running amok on this planet.

It's amazing that anything constructive EVER gets done.
Ah, but given that it apparently only took one God to create everything then really it should be amazing that not more constructive things get done, and he did it all with the lights off! :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

simpledumbpilot wrote:
Ah, but given that it apparently only took one God to create everything then really it should be amazing that not more constructive things get done, and he did it all with the lights off! :lol:
Ah, but remember, I'm not a collectivist...as a result, my immediate response to the idea of multiple gods is "well, they're just going to get into arguments and fuck everything up."

After all, this is what EVERY collective up to this day has done...argue with each other and fuck everything up.