The Wall LIVE in Berlin

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Dowie100

Post by Dowie100 »

From what ive seen of it the visuals are stunning as well as the setting and history behind it.

However some of the guest "stars" are terrible, why didnt Roger just sing it all that would have been much better lol
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Yucateco wrote:
azza200 wrote: have to agree with you on that mate.

Im going to try and sit thru this again but i dont think i will last up to brick p2 i think i will end up turning it off by brick p1 of this cringe fest of half wit cover bastards. :oops:
then you might miss the incredibly good Don?t Leave me now & Brick 3 !!
Actually One Of My Turns through Goodbye Cruel World is really good on this IMHO. I love when you see them handing the last brick off to one another as the music from the end of ABITW3 is escalading. I also noticed the vocals on Goodbye Cruel World are different on the CD than from the video...I actually like the ones on the video better (which I think are the real vocals).

I knew there was some musical/visual trickery with this release, but it was such a huge undertaking that it seemed forgivable. Especially after all the trickery on Delicate Sound Of Thunder (even the audience on the CD sounds like a loop that they just turn up and down sometimes) which was taken from an entire tour, the fixes from one show that only had one shot of being recorded were expected.

I believe this concert also has the single instance of the biggest Mr. Screen. I remember reading for that show they used 70mm projection, and I know on PF's late-'80s tour they were only using 35mm projection (not sure what they used on on the '94 tour...probably 35mm as well as the screen looked about the same size)....
azza200
Judge!
Judge!

Post by azza200 »

So i attempted to watch the show all the way through i did sort off with lots of skipping songs though :?

Empty Spaces/ What shall we do know and Young Lust are good but Brian adams is clearly pretending to play guitar on Young Lust that out of place muppet Rick the one with black stracaster who plays the over the top shit solo halfway through Young Lust.

Comfortably Numb - god it gets worse Van the man morrison is awful on it and the final solo is just crap over the top playing from Rick the prick again.

Run Like Hell - nice attempt Roger but it is so silly having 3 people do the riff :? :? :?

just cringworthy and makes me beg the question why the fuck does roger have use so many guitarists on his tours why does he have 2 people do a solo one is enough to do solo surely??????

Nice visuals i will give the show that but performance wise just awful and cringeworthy as mentioned in varoious posts in this topic.

Also its the time Rogers voice peaked.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

ponkine wrote:Also this time The Wall show was over the top, really. Nobody needed that HUGE Wall and that giant teacher, etc, etc
your point is valid
is it big just for the sake of being really fukken BIG?!!?
wasnt that what Roger was protesting with The Wall concept in the first place?

heres the difference: those were indoor shows
this was outdoors, and tickets were sold to 150,000 people
many of them Easterners who'd never seen a rock concert before
and this event dominated Berlin, it was not just a suggested night out you might choose from many concerts happening in your city
and this was a summer in which the whole worlds eyes were focussed on that city, when Western hippies like me rushed to Berlin to be part of the moment, and easterners came to Berlin to meet the West
there was lot going on in Berlin that year, and Roger managed to shift the whole city's focus to his stage for a couple of hours
the stage and audience area was set up in an empty lot of historic importance right at the edge of the wall, then in a state of partial dismantlement, next to the cities major urban park and with East Berlin apartments behind
it was literally visible and most definitely audible for dozens of blocks in every direction
it thoroughly disrupted traffic in the downtown core as well as hotel and restaurant booking, with thousands of people camping in the park and empty lots (they left a fuckload of garbage: nice western capitalist touch there)
thus Roger had a very big canvas to fill, the old indoor scale Wall and props needed to be scaled way way up to fill that space

question I always had though is: why did Roger latch on to this major historic event just to focus the spotlight on his story of why he cant communicate with his wife band and audience?
noone else there seemed much worried about that question though, and I talked to lots of folks who were learning lots about 20th century history for the 1st time just cuz they travelled to se this concert
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

judging by the size of the crowd...the wall and props needed to be that big, it looked like there were a lot of folks down there.
Freddie Mercury
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Freddie Mercury »

Groovybass77 wrote:judging by the size of the crowd...the wall and props needed to be that big, it looked like there were a lot of folks down there.
Yeah it may have looked sillier if it had been smaller....
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Groovybass77 wrote:judging by the size of the crowd...the wall and props needed to be that big, it looked like there were a lot of folks down there.
Although they sold 150 thousend tickets its estimated that another 50 - 100 thousend turned up
Kimon
Blade
Blade

Post by Kimon »

I've seen the DVD and I think it was a bad show, not musically, but in terms of aesthetics. It reminded me '80s.
I very much liked Albert Finney as the judge although I'd prefer Sean Connery who was their first choice.