Top Ten Favorite Guitar Players - - EVER!

Talk about any music other than Pink Floyd/Solo Stuff
Flame-Sky Diver
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Flame-Sky Diver »

in no order

Jeff Beck
Eric Clapton
David Gilmour
Steve Hackett
Jimi Hendrix
BB King
Mark Knopfler
Mahavishnu John McLaughlin
Carlos Santana
Neal Schon

Doyle Bramhall is almost with them too.
seamusz
Judge!
Judge!

Post by seamusz »

Heres just a couple.

Gilmour
Hendrix
Morello
Clapton
Mr. Van Halen
Cobain
Jones
McCready
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

Not one vote for Peter Green!!!!!!!!!!
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Not one vote for Buddy Guy!!!!!!!!!!
Not one vote for Albert King!!!!!!!!!!
Not one vote for Albert Collins!!!!!!!!!!
Not one vote for Otis Rush!!!!!!!!!!
Not one vote for Muddy Waters!!!!!!!!!!
Not one vote for Elmore James!!!!!!!!!!

to be continued....
Anna-Roza
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Anna-Roza »

Yes, but top ten is a very, very small number... So I voted rather or rock guitarists, because I listen to them more often. If there was top 50, it would be easier :wink:
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Anna-Roza wrote:If there was top 50, it would be easier :wink:
As always :D but really, the list I posted isn't that far from my top10 fav guitar players...

If you add Page, Hendrix, Gilmour, Blackmore & Hooker. You probably have my top 10 + 1 (in random order)...
BobFloyd
Axe
Axe

Top 10...

Post by BobFloyd »

No specific order:

1. Duane Allman - For his work on Live At Fillmore East
2. Neil Young - For his simple and soothing acoustic songs
3. Jimmy Page - For his smear motif and 3 step down C# scale structures and godly vibrato
4. Jimi Hendrix - For his uniqueness
5. Dave Gilmour - For his incredible tone and simple yet incredible solos
6. Frank Zappa - His strategic double picking and humor
7. Steve Howe - Being one of the most versatile guitarists ever.
8. Jerry Garcia - Incredible lead work and wah solo on Sugar Magnolia
9. Dickey Betts - Rhythum of Allman Brothers. Enough Said.
10. Dave Matthews - His jam stuff is sweet
warrior
Axe
Axe

Post by warrior »

Jimmy Page
David Gilmore
Jimi Hendrix
Eric Clapton
Lindsey Buckingham
Carlos Santana
John Lennon
Mark Nobloch[sp]
Neil Young...yes..love all of him..
Johnny Cash..yes i said this..he could pick that axe.
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

Let's see......

1.- Paco de Luc?a: For all his work, just listen Friday Night in San Francisco with John Mc'Laughlin and Al Di'Meola, you'll easily find why he's over the level of eceryone else IMO.

2.- Steve Hackett: Absolutely underrated, great in classic guitar (Midsummer Night Dream) and spectacular in atmospheres.

3.- David Gilmour: Combines modern guitar with classic and atmospheres in a unique way.

4.- Steve Howe: Great in classic guitar but weak in atmospheric souns.

5.- Carlos Santana: Absolutely unique, respects the classic rock sound with a unique latin sound.

6.- Yngwie Malmsteen: Has the skills, maybe he didn't had the success he deserved because nobody could understand hus style.

7.- John Mc'Laughlin: Complete and versatile player.

8.- Bob Fripp: I don't like Crimson too much, but he's superb.

9.- Pete Townsend: When you listen the first note you know it's him, and that's enough to consider a guitar player good.

10.- Neil Young: Mr. Rock and Roll.

Iv
ganaffe
Hammer
Hammer

Post by ganaffe »

Hey Ivan, that is a good point, to put Paco in... but it's very difficult to compare with blues/rock guitarplayers. I think, when you think about, there should be more flamenco players in this top 10, probably tomatito...

But there is something else I don't understand...
Iv?n wrote:6.- Yngwie Malmsteen: Has the skills, maybe he didn't had the success he deserved because nobody could understand hus style.
You say nobody could understand his style, and I agree, I don't understand his style either (I think it sucks, but that's just my opinion). But isn't that enough reason to keep him off the list? I mean, to be a musical genius you should make music that people can relate to. If nobody understands your music, nobody can relate to it... What kind of genius is that?

Now you could say: some peoples music will be understood much later, at the moment of creating the world wasn't ready for their thing... that would make them recognised as a genius after their death. But I don't think Yngwie is that kind of musician either... he's just dying off in the purgatory of hair-metal... where so many other cute little boys are still combing their hairs, polishing their nails and kissing their flying V...
Vlad The Impaler
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Vlad The Impaler »

Frank Zappa
David Gilmour
Jeff Beck
Keith Richards
Alvin Lee
Joe Satriani
Gary Richrath
Pete Townsend
Steve Vai
Eric Clapton
Powderfinger
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Powderfinger »

Here's five in no particular order:

David Gilmour
Neil Young
Eric Clapton
Mark Knopfler
Carlos Santana
Brian May
Ivan_2068
Blade
Blade

Post by Ivan_2068 »

Hey Ivan, that is a good point, to put Paco in... but it's very difficult to compare with blues/rock guitarplayers.
Well Ganaffe He has amazing jazz fusion works, specially the one I mention, and I'm talking about skills. I hate Hendrix music, but the guy is a genius and nobody can't deny it (not even me :D ).
You say nobody could understand his style, and I agree, I don't understand his style either (I think it sucks, but that's just my opinion). But isn't that enough reason to keep him off the list? I mean, to be a musical genius you should make music that people can relate to. If nobody understands your music, nobody can relate to it... What kind of genius is that?
Again I'm talking about skills my friend, listen Yngwie Johan Malmsteed with Symphony Orchestra and the guy has skills, of course I dson't like his music very much and don't believe hes a good composer, but playing guitar he's really good IMHO.

Iv
qjamesfloyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by qjamesfloyd »

1.Mark Knopfler-The best guitarist who can write music,write words and play guitar in the word,with the greatest tone and touch you could ask for.

2.David Gilmour-A player with a huge sound,who can play the biggist sounding electric guitar,then play a lovely quiet mellow accoustic,and make people drool with either,probably the most coppied guitar sound ever!!!.

3.Mike Oldfield-An extremley gifted player with either electric or accoustic guitar,and Piano,plus 100's of other instruments too,did more with the release of his first album than most artists will do in a life time,has a truly wonderful electric sound,makes playing guitar look so bloody easy,Truly unique!!!.

4.Chet Atkins-Wonderful fingerpick player,RIP,a huge invluence on lots of guitar players,including Knopfler,Harrison,Clapton,Me!!!.

5.John Lennon,Although not really a lead player,still a great player,he was a fantasic rythum player,and an amazing writer for guitar,who came up with so many great chord sequences.A sad loss to guitar music,RIP.

6.Syd Barret-Similar to my feelings about John Lennon,but Syd also played lead guitar,in a totaly unique way,Syd changed a lot of peoples thinking and approach to the guitar and songwriting.Syd is probably more unique than anyone!!!.

Although there is'nt 10 players here,these are the players that have most invluenced my playing and my life.