Double Core Artwork

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

umm, i don't mean to butt in or anything. but I took this picture a few months ago. No photoshop at all, its straight from the camera. I don't know if Pink Floyd would use something similar as artwork, but I thought maybe you'd guys like it.

[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282 ... fLight.jpg[/img]

EDIT: I deliberately didn't add any titles on the photo, thought i'd let you guys decide first. :)

Ok that orb picture just made me realize I also had this:

[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282 ... C_0048.jpg[/img]

Notice the reflections in the orbs of the surroundings and the orbs themselves.
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

The marbles one is fantastic, that certainly gets my vote!!

I love the reflection aspect of it... double vision - double core, y'know?

Excellent photography!
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by 2066 »

Yeah, I like the marbles. Nice shot!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I like the marbles...would it be bitchy of me to suggest cropping the other marbles from the frame so that their reflections are visible but the other marbles themselves are not?

My thinking is that that would create the impression of a sphere with a double core (the reflection of the other marbles.)

But, awesome photo.

It certainly gets my vote.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

I'm not sure I quite understand mosespa, do you mean cropping the sides? Or digitally removing the marbles so only the 3 reflections are visible?

I'm confused... If you only want 2 marbles - which are slightly out of focus, I could re-take the photo anytime. And yes I'm willing to digitally manipulate the photograph as well!

And no its not bitchy of you :P. I'd love it if any of my work is used as the album artwork!
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

FloydCouncil wrote:1. I'm not sure I quite understand mosespa, do you mean cropping the sides? Or digitally removing the marbles so only the 3 reflections are visible?

2. I'm confused... If you only want 2 marbles - which are slightly out of focus, I could re-take the photo anytime. And yes I'm willing to digitally manipulate the photograph as well!

And no its not bitchy of you :P. I'd love it if any of my work is used as the album artwork!
1. Whichever method you think best. I'll try to be a little more clear in what I think would be a great visual:

Just the one marble in the center, but the reflections of the other marbles visible in it.

That way, it would look like a sphere (a person looking at it need not know that it's a marble, simply a sphere,) with what appears to be a two nucleii within.

Basically, just remove the other marbles from the shot so that there's only one...but the reflections of the others are still visible in the one that's left.

Hopefully, that's a little more clear (although given my penchant for overcomplicating things, I'm not going to bet on it :lol: :lol: )

2. Thanks for your enthusiasm :D I'm thinking the shot has great front cover potential.

By the way, is that the Gateway Arch I see reflected in there?
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Ah! I think I get it. You mean, there should be only marble in frame (the center one) but reflections you see in that marble should still be there. Like this:

I just cropped the other marbles from frame... I know the marble looks more 'rough' here but thats because you're more zoomed in. I can smooth out the marble, thats not a problem.

Oh and its not exactly the gateway arch. I took the photo near a window, so those are the window fences... I think the word should be fences, I'm not sure. lol
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

Yes...that's what I was getting at.

Now...if you could find some way to "re-widen" the picture so that it looks like the area surrounding the marble is a little more vast. Think the dimensions and perspectives of the first picture...just without the other marbles.

And I think we have a cover...are there any dissenters?

BTW...this doesn't mean that everyone else's submitted art is not going to be used in some capacity.

If Double Core WERE a Pink Floyd album, there would surely be a booklet with all the lyrics and accompanying photos.

So...I think Double Core should have all of that, as well.

But that's just my two cents...and that's why this thread is here, so that we can all have input.
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

I love the revised marbles photo and agree with you ,Mosepa ,that it would look even better alone in a bigger background.Also,my vote would be for no text on the front cover-just the photo.
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

OK, I digitally manipulated it. Does the job look okay? Please keep in mind I'm not very good at Photoshop! I did my best though! lol, took me 2 hours!!

[img]http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n282 ... AltS-1.jpg[/img]

If this doesn't look good enough, I'll take the picture again first with the 3 marbles (so that I can see the reflections in the foremost marble) and then again with only one marble (the foremost one) and then later on, using Photoshop, basically blend in the areas for the final result. That may give a better result.

Oh and I was thinking, for the back of the CD where we can print the song titles, how about if we use the original photo minus the foremost marble? That is, basically 2 out-of-focus marbles... what do you guys think?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think that's perfect, myself :D

I also like the back cover idea.

Feel free to go ahead and reshoot just because it could give some variations for the inside of the booklet, but I think the pic in the above post is perfect for the cover as is.*

You could also do some variations on the theme of the pics for the booklet, as well.

Not trying to freeze anyone else out, mind you. Anyone who wants to contribute some artwork to this, do so. The way I see it, each song could have two pages in the booklet; one page for the lyrics and the other page for the credits of each recording.

So with...what, nine songs...is that right? That'd give us up to 18 pieces to use behind the text. Of course, one picture taking up both spaces would be something to put in the center.

Hey...has it dawned on anyone else yet that we're actually going to put an album out? :D

*EDIT: But feel free to take a pass at smoothing out the marble (like you mentioned) just to see how that ends up looking.

Fantastic job!!
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Thanks mosespa! Really appreciate this!

I cropped the images to represent the CD's width and length. Both images are 650 x 650 pixels. Another idea I had was since the album is going to be distributed electronically, we could make a small PDF booklet which represents the CD booket with all the other images and the lyrics. I think it'll look really good and it'll be easy to print as well!

Image Image
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I've just appointed FloydCouncil to organize and head the art staff for Double Core.

The artwork he's submitted and the work he's done on it indicates to me that he'd be a good man for the job.

So, congrats to FloydCouncil.

It's your headache now, dude :D
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

thanks mosespa.

You guys can send your submissions to my email:

iamheadphonedust [at] gmail [dot] com

or just click the email button in my profile. :)
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

mosespa wrote:I've just appointed FloydCouncil to organize and head the art staff for Double Core.

The artwork he's submitted and the work he's done on it indicates to me that he'd be a good man for the job.
I agree, absolutely fantastic artwork!!

Congratulations FloydCouncil, top work!