Double Core Artwork

Discuss Pink Floyd tribute acts including NPF projects too!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by simpledumbpilot »

If the actual Stevie G from Darkside is going to be involved than theres no telling just how big this project could be! Im going to actually meet with the man again tomorrow! I know youre all jealous but you'll just have to live with it, this is THEEEEEE Stevie G from Darkside after all!!!! And if Andy doesnt come back with at least 2 Monty Python quotes (to top his previous...erm...quota) Im going to be annoyed and shop for second hand records until 5 pm so he has a cold dinner!!! :lol:

Edit: By the way: Im very annoyed that a girl that was coming on to me at The Portland last week until I fell over was chasing another bloke tonight!! she's obviously gay!!

Second edit: I never want to hear Smoke On The Water or Black Magic Woman again!!!!
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Apologies Mosespa, you may have stumbled onto somewhat of an 'in joke' that started at the Glasgow NPF show between the Darkside band.

You're all welcome to join in, however.

Maybe I should enlighten you a tad.

Coming from Wolverhampton the band chose to stay in a hotel when we travelled up for the gig in Glasgow. To save on expenses a few members of the band had to share rooms. I was lucky enough to be in a room with Stevie!

I think it may have started with a phrase along the lines of, 'You'll never guess who I'm sharing with! No? It's Stevie G outta Darkside!'

Others gems of the weekend included:

'Hey, aren't you Stevie G, the drummer with Darkside?!'

'Wow! You know Stevie G outta Darkside!?'

'Yes, yes, I did get to share a very intimate evening with Stevie G from Darkside, he plays percussion y'know, he's very gentle' and several other quips of similar hilarity.

I hope that clears a few things up.

Anyhow, onto the Double Core, I think the front cover would look very good on it's own with no text on it, very Floyd-esq. The marble image supplied by Floyd Council was sublime, it certainly gets my vote for the cover. A small NPF logo could be included on the bottom left corner of the rear cover with the side panels reading something along the lines of:

Double Core ~ Neptune Pink Floyd

Whadda ya think?

Edit: I forgot to mention that we're in the studio again tomorrow recording a few more Floyd classics to add to our tribute experience. Stu's gonna be in on the session with his camera hopefully! Keep it here for some Darkside exclusives!!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

the cover, huh... I TOTALLY LIKE THAT :D And if someone doesn't want a wordless cover, we could write "Neptune Pink Floyd" and "Double Core" in circles (I mean, the words would make circles)
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

If someone doesn't want a wordless cover, they'll just have to get over it because I think it's pretty much agreed that we ARE going with a wordless cover.
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

mosespa wrote:If someone doesn't want a wordless cover, they'll just have to get over it because I think it's pretty much agreed that we ARE going with a wordless cover.
yes, that'll give us an another cnance to get recognized :)
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

I've been throwing around some ideas for the photo-spread in the middle of the album (occupying 2 pages). So far I have this image in mind, but I'm not sure. What do you guys think? I personally want a landscape picture here, but it wouldn't suit the album...

Keith Jordan
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Keith Jordan »

A striking image! 8)
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Yet again, I'm just blown away by the fantastic images submitted here!
I personally want a landscape picture here, but it wouldn't suit the album...
I understand where you're coming from though, the landscape idea is what I'd have gone for too... however, CD inlays are square so you'd either have to put a mask above and below the image or crop it square.

I'm not too sure what the overall concensus of layout for the album is... the pic above would look superb on a double inlay spread, possibly ghosted beneath the lyrics, that is to say if the lyrics are to be printed at all. It would all depend on the design, how many pages are gonna be printed and all that jazz.

Know what I mean?

I'm sure it would be very easy to get carried away with this project... what is the intended budget for production and printing?
FloydCouncil
Hammer
Hammer

Post by FloydCouncil »

Well, its not going to be printed by NPF thats for sure. Its going to be distributed electronically, but I'm assembling the album in a way that will allow everyone with a color printer to print the booklet. I'm using about 6 MP images, so the output would be pretty high quality.

I don't really mind putting black bars above and below a "widescreen" photo... but I just don't feel a landscape photo would look very "Floydian"...

If mosespa and others like the above image, I'll definitely use it.

Making the booklet isn't that hard really, even modifying it, I'm just short on photographs... nobody has submitted anything, so right now I'm pretty much stuck using my photography for the booklet. :lol:

So COME ON, and submit something already. Use the email button in my profile to submit.
Neil1567/2
Blade
Blade

Post by Neil1567/2 »

Floyd Council,I like the suggested centre spread.What sort of a landscape pic were you thinking of as an alternative? Some sort of windswept wild west Anton Corbijn sort of thing? I don't see why that shouldn't look good-an old mine head or winding wheel would be good-fitting in with the title and theme.BTW I've just PM'd you the lyrics to Magnolia which I've just finished-feel free to house them as you see fit!
Zarquon
Blade
Blade

Post by Zarquon »

All these pictures of marbles suddenly reminded me today that we have something like that in Sheffield England. I only noticed when I walked past that the artwork had reminded me of something!

Funny because when they put them in I couldnt help but laugh!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

BigDim wrote:Stu's gonna be in on the session with his camera hopefully! Keep it here for some Darkside exclusives!!
Oh yes I was there, got some cracking footage of Stevie G out of Darkside, the camera loves him!!! Hes done a bewtifulll (said in best Stevie G out of Darkside voice) intro, complete with side tracked fart talk!!!

Stevie G out of Darkside does get ever so slightly eclipsed in the rhythm section by a superb new bassline for Dogs tho! But, Stevie G out of Darkside does rise above it towards the end and plays some superb fills during the ''Who was...'' section, and if the purists arent keen on the funked up bassline then they'll probably shit a brick half way through the recording!!! :lol:

Best moment of the weekend? Has to be when Jim realised he farted when he thought he hadn't :lol: It was a split second throwaway moment but one Ive told all my mates about, and it was in the presence of Stevie G out of Darkside too!!! My mates have no idea who Stevie G out of Darkside is tho...peasants!! They'll learn!!

Edit: I just ate a pound of beef while I typed that! (4 quarter pounders!!!) I dont think this diet is working! :lol:
BigDim
Blade
Blade

Post by BigDim »

Oh just fantastic!!

We're getting the mastered disc tomorrow hopefully... can't wait!!!
simpledumbpilot
Lord!!
Lord!!

Excellent, looking forward to the finished work, I thought Id never want to hear Dogs again but have been playing Animals most of the week!
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

Zarquon wrote:All these pictures of marbles suddenly reminded me today that we have something like that in Sheffield England. I only noticed when I walked past that the artwork had reminded me of something!

now THAT'S probably the coolest :D the best candidate for the sleeve so far :)