2007 australian tour .(have you been , comments please).

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

peesea wrote: 1)The PA played a full double disc of Neil Young (bits from throughout his career)
I thought the Neil Young played in No. California was a tribute to the fact that Neil lives in the area. I guess Rog is a big Neil fan.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

fatoldbob wrote:
peesea wrote: 1)The PA played a full double disc of Neil Young (bits from throughout his career)
I thought the Neil Young played in No. California was a tribute to the fact that Neil lives in the area. I guess Rog is a big Neil fan.
I have heard it said that Roger puts himself amongst the top three lyric writers of all time (in fact, I have read the interview where he did say that). The interviewer then asked him who the other two were. I think he mentioned Dylan, but am sure he talked about Neil Young, saying that the things Neil had to say about life and love were hugely influencial on him.

I guess that might explain his choice of opening music. I missed the Young tracks as I was surrounded by a lot of sweaty t-shirt buyers.
GilmourGirl
Hammer
Hammer

Post by GilmourGirl »

For the last Goddamn time, Roger is not lip-synching, miming, throat singing, or any of that shit! Get that out of your heads. Don't you think that if he was, he wouldn't drop notes occasionally and not hold words like in Sheep? Since when he stops singing unexpectedly, and there are no other voices, I guess he can't be lip-synching. Also, to base your claims that he is lip synching even in part off of a video is absurd. How easy is it for the audio in a video to become unsynched? Answer: Pathetically easy, and that whole damn video is out of synch. I guess that even the bands vocals, instruments, and crowd noise were piped in, too. And before you ask, yes I have been to see him, twice at two different venues last year, and have the audio from most of the shows from 06, and both from 07. Granted, audio doesnt mean much, but again, if during a song he suddenly drops the end of a word like "dream", and there is nothing but the band behind him, I guess he can't very well be miming, then, can he?[/quote]

YEA!! and he has cool hair!! :lol: seriously i don't think Waters knows how to lip-synch. as steadfast as he is in his other beliefs i doubt he would anyway.
Tracey Jenkins
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Tracey Jenkins »

I am from Brisbane, Australia. A group of us saw Roger Waters live on Monday 5 February. The show was phenomenal, the band was really tight and Roger himself was amazing. Roger's version of Fletcher Memorial gave me goosebumps. I can die a happy woman now that I have seen this incredible man IN THE FLESH!!
atomaxe
Axe
Axe

Post by atomaxe »

just got back from brisbane and am still reliving every moment of the show, it was absolutely incredible, i don't have even one tiny complaint, i cant even fault 'leaving beirut' it is pretty much like most of his solo stuff. i would like to know how people will compare this show to the floyd aussie tour in '88. i personally think this show was better.[/img]
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

Okay...re: the miming Here's what he does.

The 3 main culprits are (but it's not limited to these 3)
1) Have a Cigar
2) Fletchers
3) Sheep

He pre records the main vocal track (probably) every few concerts. If someone wanted to actually compare their boots they could tell you how often (if at all) the main vocal is replaced. It's not just crudely lifted from the album (which is what he did for the "In the Flesh" tour and before for the difficult lines on "in every strangers eyes"...listen carefully and see the DVD and watch the camera pull back for every difficult moment...).

During his current tour the pre-recorded vocal track kicks in and he moves forward to "swallow" the mike (this way its much harder to tell what he's doing). He then whispers/throatsings through the verse which, in concert, is practically un-noticable.
Why the Rio DVD stands out is that his whisper is a little too high in the mix (I guess with it going out live they didn't get a chance to "fix" it) and you can actually clearly see (unless willfully blind) what he does.
It has nothing to do with audio syncing, it is what it is.

As I say, I don't really care that he does it. But does it, he does.

The concert still is worth every penny and he's still a fantastic artist, but denying the obvious is just fucking retarded.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Hasn't this issue already been debated to death?

I couldn't see any sign of lip synching at Auckland, and I don't generally see myself as being f*cking retarded (nice of you to descend to a bit of personal abuse there peesea; actually having working in a professional capacity with people with intellectual disabilities, I find your comment doubly offensive).

I am not denying, and no longer even care to discuss, that he MAY have been lip synching; I just said I couldn't SEE any sign of it.

I am pleased you enjoyed the concert.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Pat Albertson wrote:Hasn't this issue already been debated to death?
Yes it has so please stay on topic
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

Pat Albertson wrote:I don't generally see myself as being f*cking retarded (nice of you to descend to a bit of personal abuse there peesea; actually having working in a professional capacity with people with intellectual disabilities, I find your comment doubly offensive).
LOL. I didn't say you were retarded Pat. I said anyone who is wilfully ignorant of the facts is retarded. Your position on the miming is fair enough...you didn't see any sign of it...that's your position and it's hardly argumentative.
Other people in the thread took huge exception to me pointing out the obvious and my reply was to them. Not you.

The tour is incredible and not to be missed. The miming argument has been done to death. These are points that all but the most retarded (:p) can agree on.
Darkest Side
Axe
Axe

Post by Darkest Side »

We travelled down to Melbourne for a couple of days and saw the first show (Thurs. Feb. 1). Personally, I thought that Kilminster and Snowy White did an awsome job on the solo for Money; and Great Gig... was just spectacular.

I've talked to a few guys who also went and we all agree that we could feel some kind of heat (that surely couldn't have been created by the flames) when the pyrotechnics went into full action during Sheep and at the end of the show. Does any else agree?

Anyway......an awsome show - the only thing that hurt was the price of the merchandise.
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Yeah, the price of the merchandise was pretty scarey, but it was good quality stuff. I find that tour t-shirts are usually a bit naff, but there were some really good designs for Roger's tour. Too bad I could only afford one.
Darkest Side
Axe
Axe

Post by Darkest Side »

Yeah, that's something that I don't quite understand. Roger and his band are obviously doing alright for themselves, so why the exorbatant ticket and merchandise prices? Surely it doesn't all go to paying venue costs.

It should be completely about the music.
peesea
Knife
Knife

Post by peesea »

I really wondered about the flames/heat at the show. I was about 6 rows from the front and I found the large pyro blasts quite intenese.
I could DEFINITELY feel heat and wondered why the band didn't catch fire :p Perhaps they had some sort of heat vents to go with the pyro and subs that kicked in on the loud booms.... Dunno...but it was certainly

WHAMMMO!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

peesea wrote:I could DEFINITELY feel heat...WHAMMMO!
I felt it during run like hell in '94...and i whas standing just infront of the mixing desks and mirrorball....yea...whammmo.
oz1701
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Roger Waters at Members Equity Stadium perth west australia

Post by oz1701 »

i should point out before you read any further, dear reader, that i am not easily satisfied and that perhaps i had high hopes of the "creative genius behind Pink Floyd"

i know that some of what i say here will not be met with joyful agreement. remember this is only my take on the concert and i accept that other peoples views will differ.

Roger came on stage at 8:20 and not 7:45 prompt as the ticket stated but i was excited to see him waving his arms in the air before he broke into "in The Flesh".

most people will know the set list by now and it was unchanged here. i liked the irony of him singing about a surrogate band because that is exactly what it was.

i really wanted to enjoy this concert. After a good start it started to run down for me with "set the Controls for the heart of the Sun". i don't know what the drummer was doing but it didn't sound anything like Nick' s finely controlled drumming.

once we got to Roger's solo stuff it was worse "leaving Beirut" . the sentiment and politics might be worthwhile but the song was rubbish.
i admit i'm not that familiar with Roger's solo work beyond "pros and Cons" and Radio Kaos" but i'm sure he has better songs in his solo career. yes i know this was a new song - it should have stayed between the sheets of his notebook.

he finished off the set with "Sheep" from"Animals" , which was the best song so far for me, and then promised to return to give us Dark Side of the Moon.

i was looking forward to DSOTM . the lights went down. the sound of a giant heartbeat filled the air - the first track from DSOTM began, but the guitarist wanted to do it his way instead of David's and managed to rather sour the experience for me.

i don't know what happened with "on The Run" it was bloody loud and had some weird machine gun fire or something interspersed through it at odd unmusical lapses of reason. maybe it was a fault on the backing cd.

The clocks started ticking and the crowd went wild.- and that was the best bit - once again this piece suffered from trying to reinvent the wheel. additionally the drummer lost his sense of timing. ruined the moment.

Carol Kenyon came on and did "great gig in the sky" on her own! - i think the first time i've ever seen it done by one singer - terrific voice.

volume level pushed up again for the remainder of the DSOTM set and i dont know who the saxophonist was but he was excellent . once again didnt care for the guitar work.

Roger then pretended to leave the stage so he could come back to the stage and do an encore of some tracks from "the Wall". to his credit these were very good and probably the best of the evening. there was a hitch though.

i noticed that we were supposed to be hearing two guitar solos during the encore but obviously there was a problem and all i could see was the guy blasting away at his guitar in what was probably a blistering solo that no one could hear before the other guitarist noticed there was no sound and took up the slack.

you probably noticed i didn't mention the pyrotechnics or backdrop - thats because i was in the cheap seats and couldn't see that much of it.

overall - as a Pink Floyd related experience - i was disappointed.

to those people who enjoyed the concert unreservedly well i guess you got your moneys worth. i know i am in the minority here. he even got a standing ovation!

i have read a lot of gushing reviews.
the only complaint i have read of is that there was a political agenda in some of what Roger did. i Say he is entitled to his opinion and his views are well enough known for him to use his concerts as a platform to voice them. i just found some of the performances lacking - in all but volume that is. ear shattering!

i had seen the New Zealand "Pink Floyd Experience" do "the Wall" and DSOTM only a few months previously and felt they did the material more justice.

there was stunned silence at the end of their performance because we the audience were lost in the music. we actually forgot to clap, they were so good.

anyway i must away to another part of the forum as i just listened to "on an island" great stuff!