Why does Andy Fairweather-Low play the difficult bass parts?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
He did for the majority of every Wall show, and he seemed perfectly comfortable doing it.
He may have seemed comfortable...but what he didn't seem was "natural."

His actions were stiff, stilted...remember, he planned on playing Pink himself in the movie before his screen test revealed that he was no actor.

Fittingly, it would seem that The Wall was the last show he ever did that at. Every piece of footage that I've seen from PACOHH and KAOS tours show Roger with some kind of guitar firmly in hands.

Maybe The Wall is the very reason why he doesn't do it so much anymore. Hell, even on ITF, he sometimes appears like he's pretending to be Frankenstein's monster (specifically on the "my hands felt just like two balloons" line from CN.)
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

I guess the last time Roger sang without some kind of instrument was The Wall live in Berlin.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:I guess the last time Roger sang without some kind of instrument was The Wall live in Berlin.
and A Perfect Sense and Leaving Beruit
The Gunner's Dream
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by The Gunner's Dream »

Groovybass77 wrote:
The Gunner's Dream wrote:I guess the last time Roger sang without some kind of instrument was The Wall live in Berlin.
and A Perfect Sense and Leaving Beruit
Yeah but those are only certain songs. During The Wall shows of 1980/1981 as well as Live in berlin, the majority of the concert he just sang.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

The Gunner's Dream wrote:
Groovybass77 wrote: and A Perfect Sense and Leaving Beruit
Yeah but those are only certain songs. During The Wall shows of 1980/1981 as well as Live in berlin, the majority of the concert he just sang.
ah, i see what you mean. sorry.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

mosespa wrote:
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd wrote:For example, why does he have to play an unpluged electric guitar on The Bravery Of Being Out Of Range on the In The Flesh tour?
So that he's doing something other than just standing there, gazing out at the audience while he sings. Obviously, this is not one of the songs where he wanders about the front of the stage trying to get the audience to sing along with him...and he apparently can't play the bassline and sing the song at the same time...so, what's he going to do? Just stand there and sing?

Nah...give 'im a guitar and let 'im fake it.

Am I the only person here to whom these answers come so easily? Because it seems like simple common sense to me.
Kind of strange of him faking it all, I think the guitar was un pluged, since I can't hear it, I tried to play on my electric guitar, the same thing he played...well it sounds like crap, and where was his effects pedal for the guitar?

What I don't like...he is a bass player, soo play the bass guitar.Now he plays bass on CN, why coulden't he play it on the ITF tour?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

It's not at all unusual for a musicians effects to be controlled by his tech from offstage so that he doesn't have to do a tap dance routine while he tries to play and/or sing. Dave Mustaine does it all the time...as do many others.

As to the question of why Roger should play a guitar, I ask you another question: why the hell not?

Roger Waters wasn't born with a bass in his hand...in fact, he didn't even play bass in the early incarnations of Pink Floyd...he played guitar.

So, in Roger's mind, perhaps he's actually a guitarist who spends more time with a bass than with his chosen instrument.

Again...what else would you have him do? Stand there and ham it up even more?

And we don't know for sure that the guitar was unplugged. Maybe Roger actually WAS playing something. I've heard a demo of TBOBOOR from a KAOS soundcheck...Rog was playing it on 12-string acoustic.

Don't pigeonhole the guy.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

"I was never a bass player. I've never played anything. I play guitar a bit on the records and would play bass, because I sometimes want to hear the 'sound' I make when I hit a string on a bass with a pick or my finger; it makes a different sound than anybody else makes, to me. But I've never been interested in playing the bass. I'm not interested in playing instruments and I never have been."

- Roger Waters 1992
alma
Hammer
Hammer

Post by alma »

Groovybass77 wrote:"I was never a bass player. I've never played anything. I play guitar a bit on the records and would play bass, because I sometimes want to hear the 'sound' I make when I hit a string on a bass with a pick or my finger; it makes a different sound than anybody else makes, to me. But I've never been interested in playing the bass. I'm not interested in playing instruments and I never have been."

- Roger Waters 1992
That's what I meant earlier.
And as Roger Waters isn't the born entertainer he probably feels better on stage holding some instrument in his hand.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Cause they require the use of more than 1 finger
cymbaline212
Hammer
Hammer

Post by cymbaline212 »

Groovybass77 wrote:"I was never a bass player. I've never played anything. I play guitar a bit on the records and would play bass, because I sometimes want to hear the 'sound' I make when I hit a string on a bass with a pick or my finger; it makes a different sound than anybody else makes, to me. But I've never been interested in playing the bass. I'm not interested in playing instruments and I never have been."

- Roger Waters 1992
that's a load of crap, you dont start a band to become "pop stars" when your not interested in playing an instrument. i can see after writing the wall and leaving pink floyd he realized how unimportant playing an instrument was compared to writing lyrics but how could a guy with crazy energy playing astronomy domine (belgian tv) or jerking his entire body to each bass note on In The Flesh? (ITF tour dvd) not be the slightest bit interested in playing an instrument.
Groovybass77
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Groovybass77 »

cymbaline212 wrote:

- Roger Waters 1992
that's a load of crap, you dont start a band to become "pop stars" when your not interested in playing an instrument. i can see after writing the wall and leaving pink floyd he realized how unimportant playing an instrument was compared to writing lyrics but how could a guy with crazy energy playing astronomy domine (belgian tv) or jerking his entire body to each bass note on In The Flesh? (ITF tour dvd) not be the slightest bit interested in playing an instrument.
he had plenty of time between 1992 and 2000 to change his mind! Perhaps he saw the light during his almost ten years of writing his opera, not touring and such he might have begun to miss the thrill of the stage and playing in front of thousands of fans.
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

- Roger Waters 1992
You know, reading this quote really makes me wonder why he was even in Pink Floyd in 1965-67, because his sole purpose during that time was to play bass!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

I think he said that just to get a bite. Look at some of those early clips ... you can see he is right into it.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

He lost interest I think, After Meddle David startd playing playing bass on records also, David plays OOTD(fretted) and on Echoes(fertless), then on WYWH he plays bits on Have A Cigar and Shine On You Crazy Diamond(not all the bass on shine on), on Animals...all songs except Dogs. On The Wall...well preety much 70% of The Wall has David on bass. David also plays on TFC on Not Now John and maybe another one(but only NNJ has been stated that DG played bass on).

There you go.

He didn't realy jump around and tried to make the audiencer sing during the 1977 tour, he played electric guitar on Sheep, Pigs(Three Different Ones), and acoustic on POTW and Welcome To The Machine .

Also, his changing of instruments kind of makes the band switch instruments, look at the POTW, Snowy on Electric, Roger on Acoustic, David on Bass....or Sheep on this tour, he needs 2 bass guitars, one playing during the whole song, and his...playing when he wants...if he plays.