Why does Andy Fairweather-Low play the difficult bass parts?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

He doesn't like playig instruments, he has often been quoted that he really doesn't listen to much music these days - especially new, except for the odd opera and Neil Young...so, what is he doing touring? No wonder he hasn't made an album, outside Ca Ira (rememer that one?) in all these years...hmmm.
Evilio
Axe
Axe

Post by Evilio »

If he was playhing with Pink Floyd, by all means he would stick largley to bass (WYWH at Live8 being an exception)...but he's not, he's a solo musician, and when you're a solo musician on your own tour, you play what ever you wanna play. Where's the rule saying that when you go solo you have to stick to the instrument you played when in a band?
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

cymbaline212 wrote:
that's a load of crap, you dont start a band to become "pop stars" when your not interested in playing an instrument. i can see after writing the wall and leaving pink floyd he realized how unimportant playing an instrument was compared to writing lyrics but how could a guy with crazy energy playing astronomy domine (belgian tv) or jerking his entire body to each bass note on In The Flesh? (ITF tour dvd) not be the slightest bit interested in playing an instrument.
Maybe initially, he just wanted to be a singer?

Or is that just too hard to wrap one's head around? :roll:
bigfins64
Embryo
Embryo

Post by bigfins64 »

I was lucky enough to see 3 shows in the last couple of weeks (and 3 last time in 2002)and Rog is playing a lot more bass this time , almost the whole show , the bits he plays seem to change depending on his mood for some of the songs each night .
As far as roger not being a good bass player WHAT A LOAD OF RUBBISH.
I'm sure you guys have plenty of recordings from the 69-73 tours , listen to what hes playing on those espescialy through the jam sections, some of these performances are amazing, i think these days he's probably a little lazier and being a bit more of a showman, he's done the hard yards with the bass , remember he wrote this stuff thats the hard part .
So no he may not be marcus miller or tony levin, but technical proficiency has bugger all to do with great music, just listen to guy prats work on pulse and dsot technicaly brilliant and most of the time I enjoy it but somedays the slap bass more upbeat interpretations just make me want to smack him.
theman4455245
Blade
Blade
Location: The Only Place You Can't Show Breasts On Television

Post by theman4455245 »

I saw a member of some band at woodstock (in the film) AIR GUITAR while he sang. I guess some people may have to do something else to sing.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

theman4455245 wrote:I saw a member of some band at woodstock (in the film) AIR GUITAR while he sang. I guess some people may have to do something else to sing.
Joe Cocker does all kinds of weird stuff...Roger does make a funny face at times...the shit eating grin that says hey its me!