What exactly happened in Berlin with SineadO'Connor?

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

David Smith wrote:Isn't Saturday Night live supposed to be a comedy programme?
SNL was originally supposed to be a vehicle for subversive satire, a collective of dangerous youths siezing control of network TV in the wake of the Nixon resignation
watch those early episodes with Chevy Chase: they thought theyd defeated the giant and were dancing on his grave
thats why it was live: to make it more dangerous, anything could happen

so Sinead was doing what that show was supposed to do, decades after it had otherwise lost relevence
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Post by nemesis11f »

J Ed wrote:
David Smith wrote:Isn't Saturday Night live supposed to be a comedy programme?
SNL was originally supposed to be a vehicle for subversive satire, a collective of dangerous youths siezing control of network TV in the wake of the Nixon resignation
watch those early episodes with Chevy Chase: they thought theyd defeated the giant and were dancing on his grave
thats why it was live: to make it more dangerous, anything could happen

so Sinead was doing what that show was supposed to do, decades after it had otherwise lost relevence
There is a difference between Chevy Chase making fun of Tricky Dick, and someone tearing up a picture of the Pope, while saying "Evil!", and seriously meaning it. Also, the SNL-type dark satire was in many ways roughly equivalent to Flying Circus (though you can't top that damn show. Man, and those crazy Brits weren't even high or drunk or anything...), just hosted in a more...news show like format. It in itself was a parody of life in general, and generally hillarious, but still. There are limits as to what is really acceptable, even in those days. I can't help but wonder what the members of the SNL cast thought when she pulled that stunt, especially the more Catholic ones.... Oh well. Still was a great show, though, especially the early episodes. Damn, the good old days.
J Ed
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: in a midwestern-type autoplant town, waiting for the autopocalypse to come

Post by J Ed »

Pythonrelated digression here:
nemesis11f wrote:those crazy Brits weren't even high or drunk or anything
Graham Chapman was was a notorious alcoholic, one reason why Cleese quit the show in the final season, as they were supposed to be writing partners
the story is that during the filming of The Holy Grail Chapman was so tanked by lunch everyday that he could barely stand up straight

as for the other five, i have no reason to think they didnt enjoy a nice doob, Gilliams cartoons certainly suggest he was a partaker (before forming the Pythons, Gilliam published the earliest comics of Gilbert "Freak Brothers" Shelton)
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Post by AsydWaters »

:roll: Sinead ! Oh! Sinead what has become of you ?
Remember how she screwed herself one funny day?
Sinead-Oh-ConfusedInHead ;any new stunt you planned?
Does anybody else in here seen her baldheaded face & confused?
Sinead!Sinead.....(Sounds of SteamEngine running over her while she lay on the tracks :twisted: !!)

So she tried acrobatics post the concert;thanx for the info.
nemesis11f
Blade
Blade

Post by nemesis11f »

J Ed wrote:Pythonrelated digression here:
nemesis11f wrote:those crazy Brits weren't even high or drunk or anything
Graham Chapman was was a notorious alcoholic, one reason why Cleese quit the show in the final season, as they were supposed to be writing partners
the story is that during the filming of The Holy Grail Chapman was so tanked by lunch everyday that he could barely stand up straight

as for the other five, i have no reason to think they didnt enjoy a nice doob, Gilliams cartoons certainly suggest he was a partaker (before forming the Pythons, Gilliam published the earliest comics of Gilbert "Freak Brothers" Shelton)
You're quite right, Chapman ("The Dead One") was quite the alcoholic, but I meant that as a whole, they weren't completely wasted all the time during their writing, they at least came up with their acts on their own, and you can really tell that a lot was improvised, especially whenever Cleese visibly tries not to laugh in scenes. Great times. Great times.
AsydWaters
Hammer
Hammer

Monty got a RAW deal-Bald,Boored,Bogus,Basketcase,Babbling..

Post by AsydWaters »

:?
Now now...we seem to be falling off the *TOP*-br*IC*k off the Wall In Berlin and a perfect caricature of a femme-protagonists of the Image comics and its clones!!!! :roll:
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

Anyone remember her appearance at some big showbiz concert in the States i think back in the early 90's where a few days before, she slagged off Americans in general for something ( wish i could remember what) When her spot came to appear on stage, a chorus of boo's came up from the crowd and they wouldn't let up, she stood there not knowing what to make of it then all of the sudden, she begins to defiantly sing a few lines, 30 seconds later she ends up running offstage distraught and crying into the arms of someone as the boo's keep coming.
I have it on video somewhere but i remember at the time thinking 'serves you right' :lol:
mosespa

Post by mosespa »

I think that was at Dylan's birthday bash or something.

She got booed offstage and Kris Kristofferson embraced her and the addressed the crowd, telling them that they should be ashamed of themselves.

I kinda have to side with him, though. Love her or hate her, you gotta give Sinead the same right to say whatever she wishes that you give someone else.

All booing her off the stage did was make the audience look like a bunch of mindless morons, IMO.
iwantmypinkfloydnow
Hammer
Hammer

Post by iwantmypinkfloydnow »

Well hypocrisy is the american way. Just look at our priests.
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

iwantmypinkfloydnow wrote:Well hypocrisy is the american way. Just look at our priests.
What do you expect from a country founded on the concept of freedom and personal liberty but was established by the labour of millions of slaves? The United States has been about hypocrisy from the beginning. I was born and raised in the south, I've seen American racism and it is not pretty.
ESLAFTK2112

Post by ESLAFTK2112 »

Sinead was booed by Dylan fans for her Pope photo act. Then she ran offstage crying cos of the boos. Then Willie Nelson said "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MR NEIL YOUNG" and the crowd went nuts!

Long live Neil!
HeckTo

Post by HeckTo »

I've heard some rumours that Roger & Sinead slept together in Berlin '90.
The Ballad Of Pink Floyd
Hammer
Hammer

Post by The Ballad Of Pink Floyd »

HeckTo wrote:I've heard some rumours that Roger & Sinead slept together in Berlin '90.
haha that's the funniest thing I've heard for a while....Roger woulden't go near a freak like her.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

The Ballad Of Pink Floyd wrote:
HeckTo wrote:I've heard some rumours that Roger & Sinead slept together in Berlin '90.
haha that's the funniest thing I've heard for a while....Roger woulden't go near a freak like her.
The weirdos can be quite kinky!!
Sonic Destruction
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by Sonic Destruction »

ESLAFTK2112 wrote:Sinead was booed by Dylan fans for her Pope photo act. Then she ran offstage crying cos of the boos. Then Willie Nelson said "LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, MR NEIL YOUNG" and the crowd went nuts!

Long live Neil!
I think the Dylan song she had intended to do for the show might have been "I Believe In You". A great track, and I think she might have done it quite well too, but we will never know. Didn't she ever read the famous Dylan quote, "You ain't shit if you haven't been booed"?