Post by RogerWatersGirl »

I'm going to have to put more than 3 down...sorry....lol

1. Any Colour You LIke
2. Careful With That Axe Eugene
3. Pow R Toc H
4. One Of These Days
5. Saucerful Of Secrets (esp. Pompeii)
6. Interstellar Overdrive

There's more, but, maybe I should just leave it alone at the moment or I'll be writing them all down becuase I just love Floyd instrumentals...Jamming to them is fun too!
Oh wait...one more...how could I have forgotten...ON THE RUN!!!
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

The Ballad Of Bill Hubbard (Hey, this should be allowed if Marooned, Cluster One, Terminal Frost and Signs of Life are)
If The ballard of Bill Hubbard is allowed the surley sould also be allowed therefore

1 Raise My rent
2 Shine On You Crazy Diamond 1,2,3, 8 & 9
3 Any colour you like.

If Raise my rent is not allowed then replace it with When You're In or
Absolutely Curtains.
JML
Hammer
Hammer

Post by JML »

In fact the is very few instrumentals in Floyd songs but

1. Atom Heart Mother
2. Any Colour You Like
3. One Of These Days

Any Colour You Like is only very instrumental in these. In AHM there is that "Silence In The Studio" and in OOTD "One Of THese Days I'm Gonna..."
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

Hard choice but i'd probabley go with..

1.Careful with that axe eugene(Ummagumma version)
2.One of these days
3.Great gig in the sky

There are literally tones of great relatively unknown instrumentals out there though, OBC/WYI were both great espeically live(probabley the best thing on the 73 tour if you ask me). Both the main and the dramatic theme from more were great aswell espeically the latter that was the birth of "the Gimour sound" if you ask me. Some of the latter jam versions of OTR from 72 were simpley amazing much better(although perhaps less apropriate) than the album version if you ask me. I really like the tracks that used acoustic guitar with slide in the background too such as the first part of the narrow way and the various versions of "unknown song" from the zabriski point recordings.
Piper
Knife
Knife

Post by Piper »

I would like to know how Rick, in particular, crafted the music on WYWH and Animals more so than Roger Waters. I eagerly await your explanation.
For Animals I have no argument, I simply forgot to count off Rick for that album - in fact Rick himself has said that Animals was the first PF album on which he had little significant input. My apologies on that, shoulda been more specific.. Wright's influence on the PF sound began to wane after DSOTM, tho his presence was still felt on WYWH, which as you probably know was considered the most "balanced" album in the PF catalogue, in terms of individual input. As far as the music goes I don't consider Waters to be the major force on that album, tho as usual his lyrics always strike home. Gilmour made the tune to the title track, albeit the lyrics were made first by Waters (Schaffner's PF book notes tho that usually it was the tune that came before the lyrics, p. 201), and you cannot ignore the presence of Dave and Rick on SOYCD.
As for Gilmour...*cough*...Come on...We all know he is one of the greatest guitarists on the planet, but he couldn't write a great song on his own if his life depended on it.
Well I never did say that Dave was a great songwriter (nor do I think he is), rather I was referring to the PF music. I certainly think he was the main guy behind the PF sound up till the Wall (I'll admit that Waters probably did some prodding to get him out of the PF atmospherics rut to the harder rock on Animals). And with the topic of this thread, instrumentals, in mind, Dave's dubious songwriting talents are irrelevant.

Well that's my explanation anyhow.. I see another Dave vs. Roger debate coming, which I don't quite relish cuz they go nowhere so I probably won't comment anymore on this after this post. Roger in fact comes ahead of Dave on my favorite Floyd list, but I don't think Dave's musical contributions can be ignored (nor Rick's, till the Wall.. oops Animals I mean :D ). Roger may have quoted that the Dave-is-Mr.-Music theory is a myth, but you can always point at quotes from other people; it all comes down to who you believe, as Rog and Dave will often contradict each other's quotes.
enigma00
Axe
Axe

Post by enigma00 »

Argh, why does every thread turn into a Waters vs Gilmour debate!? Go find another thread, this one is for instrumentals.

1. The Great Gig in the Sky
2. One of These Days
3. Saucerful of Secrets/Careful With that Axe, Eugene.

I would put SOYCD down, but it does have lyrics to it, so I don't consider it an instrumental. It still has damn good music though.
Tommy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tommy »

enigma00 wrote:Argh, why does every thread turn into a Waters vs Gilmour debate!?
its all in good fun :D

i dunno about instrumentals, one of these days is my favorite. plus, it seems to me like Rick did alot on wish you were here with the synthesizers (sp) and all, especially on welcome to the machine and have a cigar
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Real Pink in the Inside »

Charade I am wrote:You said that if you take one member there is no Pink Floyd, but just posts ago you named The Ballad of Bill Hubbar as a Pink Floyd instrumental ???
Note that I said "IF Marooned, Signs of Life, Terminal Frost, and Cluster One are allowed, then I think BOBH should be allowed too."
...on the other hand I personally think If you take one away from Pink Floyd you still have Pink Floyd, that happens with Syd Barrett!....then, from what you are saying, the line up after Syd left is not Pink Floyd because Syd isn?t there...
Pink Floyd was a totally different beast when Syd was essentially the entire "band." After Syd left, they became a totally different group. They easily could have changed their name (technically they did, from THE Pink Floyd to simply Pink Floyd) after his departure and most likely gone along the path they did. If that had happened, instead of talking about a band named Pink Floyd we would be talking about the same band with a different name.
Red Hot Chili Peppers,
We're talking about Pink Floyd, one of the world's most popular bands, not one of the million alternative rock bands that peaked in the early '90s that virtually nobody gives a **** about anymore.
my point is that if one member leaves the band it doesn?t mean that the band is dead...and I think this is only if ONE members leaves...now if two or more members leave, that?s probably a different thing.....IMO
What does it matter if two or more members leave if they DIDN'T CONTRIBUTE ANYTHING SONGWRITING WISE and/or the band is not a legend? You're acting like Nick Mason was just as important as Roger Waters. You're acting like taking away Nick Mason from the classic line-up is the exact same thing as taking away Roger Waters from the classic line-up, and that's an incredibly absurd belief.

Nobody has ever said, "I think David, Rick, and Nick should never work together again." Some people have simply said, "I do not think David, Rick, and Nick should claim to be PINK FLOYD."
Spirit Catcher
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Spirit Catcher »

Interstellar Overdrive , Great Gig In The Sky , SOYCD..
MoreOrLess
Blade
Blade

Post by MoreOrLess »

If your trying to rationalise that carrying on post Syd was morally better than carrying on post Roger I think your always going to fail Real Pink in the Inside. Lets take a look at the facts the way I see them...

Syd was kicked out of a band he wanted to stay in where as Roger left a band he didnt want to be in anymore. Granted Syd's behaviour went some way to merriting being kicked out but Roger was hardly blameless in that area in the Wall/TFC days either if nowhere near as bad.

None of the other members of the band had any real history as song writters or much public recognition when Syd was kicked. In comparason post Roger Dave and to a lesser extent Rick had good backgrounds as songwrighters plus all 3 members where well known to the public(maybe less so than most bands but certainly more than anyone but Syd in 68 ).

Dave, Rick and Nick all could have had reasonabley sucessful solo careers post Roger where as without the Floyd name in 68 I think the band would have been screwed. I'm not saying that reforming post Roger wasnt at least party down to the greater sucess the name would bring but compaired to 68 it wasnt nearly as important.

The fact that post Roger I dont consider any album but Pulse to be anywhere near their classic(67-79) standards doesnt make carrying on less morally right.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

MoreOrLess wrote:Syd was kicked out of a band he wanted to stay in

He wanted to stay in? That explains his erratic behavior. Syd was very, very sick and sadly he was sick during a time when most people did not understand what he was going through. He couldn't continue as a part of the band.

Mosespa put it nicely once:

"Roger Waters has had a much larger hand in shaping what Pink Floyd became than Syd Barrett could ever dream of...they only did one album with Syd.

They did twelve with Roger."
where as Roger left a band he didnt want to be in anymore.
Roger knew the band was as dead as disco. He felt it was only honest and respectful to admit this fact to us, the fans.

I look at it this way: Fifty years from now Pink Floyd will be remembered as one of the greatest rock bands of the 20th century. Pink Floyd will be remembered as a band that was made up of Roger Waters, David Gilmour, Richard Wright, Nick Mason. The PWPF albums will be ridiculed and Syd will merely be a footnote in Floyd's history.
Real Pink in the Inside
Judge!
Judge!

I would like to drive home my point that the name didn't really matter all that much back in '68. If they had changed their name COMPLETELY after Syd's departure, they probably would have gone down the same path they did. They would have created DSOTM under another name and rose to super heights as whatever name they had changed to. Instead of Pink Floyd, we would be calling them something else today. In contrast, PWPF was all about USING the extremely powerful name of Pink Floyd to sell mediocre records, sellout football stadiums, etc. As a result, PWPF tarnished the legacy of Pink Floyd. People love it when great bands, actors, athletes, etc. "ride off into the sunset" BEFORE it is CLEARLY TIME to call it quits.