The FOOTBALL thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

I couldn't have put it better Jonesy :D :D <ii> <ii>
henno

Post by henno »

UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!

the throphy is back where she belongs!!!!
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

congrats, my red friends.
at least one trophy this year...too bad it's just your poor litlle Brit league...

:roll: :lol:
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I hate people from the UK that support Man Utd despite not being from Manchester. Or any other team, for that matter.

Glory-seeking pugs.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

One does not need to be from Manchester to support its team! I am a Dallas Cowboys fan, and have never stepped foot in Texas (though I have landed in Houston in the airport :lol: ). The draw of fans to a team is not merely about geographical location...it is the aura, the spirit and the fraternity developed through appreciating the sport, the team, its coaching staff and following their games, whether it be a winning or a losing season.

I personally don't care for "fair weather" fans. I have never been one myself, and will always support my team despite having a "bad" season!!!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

It should be a geographical location. Somebody from where I live supporting Man Utd is the equivalent to me choosing to support Brazil instead of England because they win more competitions.

And how is one expected to be able to capture the "aura" and "spirit" of the team if they haven't even been to the area in which they are based?
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

It's all about the love of sporting competition, Roger...it's intangible, and if you are not a fan of any team, you would not understand! I cannot explain it in a reasonable manner!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

I don't support any team. All sports are boring except for snooker and cricket!

But I used to, and I have always hated it when people support teams who always win if they are not from the place in which they are based.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

PublicImage wrote:I don't support any team. All sports are boring except for snooker and cricket!

But I used to, and I have always hated it when people support teams who always win if they are not from the place in which they are based.
What in God's name is "snooker"? Yes, I can research it myself, but I have honestly never heard of it! Is it another of those British snob sports?

I agree with your latter comment, which is what I was alluding to when I mentioned "fair weather" fans. However, I still think it is perfectly acceptable for anyone in the world to be a Man Utd fan or fan of any other team as long as they are a fan for an extended period and remain a fan regardless of a winning or losing season!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Syd'sSexy wrote:What in God's name is "snooker"?
No. Just no.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

OK, so it's a variation of billiards or "pool." I've never played snooker, but I have a pool table in my recreation room, and I quite enjoy playing! That has got to be the most boring sport to spectate! :smt015 :smt015

It's right up there with golf, bowling and archery!
PublicImage
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by PublicImage »

Watching football is immensely boring. I remember watching some England game which had over four goals and it drove me to sleep. Very atmospheric indeed!

Oh, and Man City are better than Man Utd just because Gene Hunt supports them.

Stephen
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Stephen »

PublicImage wrote:I hate people from the UK that support Man Utd despite not being from Manchester. Or any other team, for that matter.

Glory-seeking pugs.

I live 3 miles from Old Trafford, is that close enough to qualify ?
Damn!t
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Damn!t »

Roger, you are like that Smurf...you know...the grumpy one...how is he called?
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Syd'sSexy wrote:OK, so it's a variation of billiards or "pool." I've never played snooker, but I have a pool table in my recreation room, and I quite enjoy playing! That has got to be the most boring sport to spectate! :smt015 :smt015

It's right up there with golf, bowling and archery!
Snooker is in fact the greatest of billairds derived games. A proper snooker table is 12' long with pockets smaller than a pool table. The skill required for snooker is much greater than the nine ball that is popular here in the States.

I'd love to be able to watch snooker on TV.