"In The News" Discussion Thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Re: "In The News" Discussion Thread

Post by justabagofatoms »

danielcaux wrote:
justabagofatoms wrote:It is the one country on Earth that goes black at night.
You said it as if that were a bad thing. Right now THAT is exactly what the Earth needs! We are the worst pest for the planet. And particually the USA and western Europe, just watch this pic, it looks like the whole continent is on a permanent christmas celebration, 365 days a year!

http://gallery.hd.org/_exhibits/places- ... P-ANON.jpg

You go first. :D

I sometimes feel as though humans are a pestilance, but then I think of the alternatives, and they are gruesome and intolerable. Our dependence on technology and power is not without consequences, but if you are saying that living under a dictator that deprives you of contact with the outside world; or access to anything modern; or any say in your own life, then I am confused as to what point you are trying to make. Life in the dark? Really? That would be incomprehensible to most modern populations. The only thing that would bring such a thing about would be global devastation, and I think that idea is repugnant, don't you?
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

It sounds like you want to save the world, not just the West. Are you sure you know what the world needs (now)? As a good person, how do you balance the probability of being mistaken, or excessive, when you're recommending the finality of execution of vermin? Is the execution of such people so important (they will die anyway, eventually)?

Sorry about the bungled quote, which is from Poof. And the double-posting. Some day I may learn something. One hopes.

If you are inferring, Poof, that Bin Laden was some sort of innocent, wrongly gunned down by overzealous American murderers, then you don't know anything about Bin Laden. Was he unarmed? From what I understand, he had both of them, at the time.
He recorded hours of addresses to the American people, wishing for our imminent demise and exhorting his followers to kill us at every opportunity. They were successfull in doing so, on many occasions. If you do not think he deserved death for that, or that we rushed to judgement, then you and I shall disagree. As for any desire of mine to "save the world", nothing could be farther from the truth. I am weary beyond words of the contempt that the rest of the world feels for my country, and I would like nothing better than to bring every Armed Forces member back to America and let the rest of the world have a nice rest from us.
danielcaux
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by danielcaux »

justabagofatoms wrote:
danielcaux wrote:You said it as if that were a bad thing. Right now THAT is exactly what the Earth needs! We are the worst pest for the planet. And particually the USA and western Europe, just watch this pic, it looks like the whole continent is on a permanent christmas celebration, 365 days a year!
...but if you are saying that living under a dictator that deprives you of contact with the outside world; or access to anything modern; or any say in your own life, then I am confused as to what point you are trying to make. Life in the dark? Really?
I wasn't trying to make any point beyond that "a country on Earth that goes black at night" isn't really a bad thing, after all isn't that what we always try to do every year with Earth Hour? Going black at night?

http://www.earthhour.org/Homepage.aspx

Sure the causes behind that specific country going black at night aren't good things for its citizens, humanity or the planet at large, but the consequences sure are. Two completely different things.

Anyway, I don't support totalitarist regimens, but sadly I can't see modern capitalism leading to any other alternative. If we don't change our lifestyles it's going to happen, not right now, but eventually, say in the next two centuries. When basic natural resources like water, food and clean air get really really scarce, the big iron hand is going to do a grand come back, sadly.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

Most countries in the western world have a 3 planet life style - some have a 5. That is unsustainable
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

Okay so, recently Metallica had been named the best rock-band ever. I rolled my eyes. I rolled my eyes twice when I saw no Beatles or Stones or Floyd (and I think Zeppelin neither) among the runner-ups. But I rolled my eyes THREE times when I saw Blink-182 among the latter!!! No offense to the band or its fans, it's a classic band in its own right, but... Top 10 best rock-bands ever? I could think of at least 50 better ones. So... big fat FU!
olzen
Judge!
Judge!

Post by olzen »

You're kidding, right? That list must have been created by deaf people :shock: Got a link by any chance?
henno

Post by henno »

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/bre ... tml?via=mr

SUPERMEN DO EXIST!!!!

Hats off to anyone who attempts this, even more so considering 15 years ago Gerry was over weight and smoking 50 cigs a day!!!

He endured and won the Deca Ironman Challange:
2.4 mile swim, 112 mile cycle, and full marathon.... EVERY DAY for 10 days!!!!

Gerry is famous in Ireland for doing 32 marathons in 32 days in the 32 counties of Ireland...... hats off !!!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

He'd put the rest of us to shame...
henno

Post by henno »

snifferdog wrote:He'd put the rest of us to shame...

id think bad of trying a 5k Brenda! :(

:D
Jimi Dean Barrett
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Jimi Dean Barrett »

There goes the goodwill on NPF for spotting the magazine I've built up by saying this (probably)
but R.I.P. Brian Haw. [-D-] [-o< :cry:
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Post by PooF »

Jimi Dean Barrett wrote:There goes the goodwill on NPF for spotting the magazine I've built up by saying this (probably)
but R.I.P. Brian Haw. [-D-] [-o< :cry:
If it turns out he didn't make a difference it wasn't for lack of trying. A good man.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

The Casey Anthony case hasn’t had much publicity over here and believe it or not I’d never heard about it till today. From what I’ve read the defence case was pretty desperate even far-fetched and I think she’s v.lucky but then if there’s no actual proof of how the girl died then that’s a serious problem for the prosecution.
princessDungan74D
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by princessDungan74D »

I think Casey is an evil lady and the fact that she got away with killing her little girl is sick! :roll:
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Nice to see the News of the World getting into a spot of bother over hacking into people's mobile phones. Of course it won't stop the slavering masses continuing to buy it and The Sun. I wonder how many of the other tabloid newspapers were also at the same thing?
ddebil
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by ddebil »