"In The News" Discussion Thread

Talk about anything in here from the price of tea to the state of the economy!
PooF
Hammer
Hammer

Re: "In The News" Discussion Thread

Post by PooF »

oldhippy wrote:I have a wonderful friend just a few doors away from me. She phoned me yesterday to say she wanted to what she thought was fart and ended up with a follow through. :lol: :lol: :lol:
What are friends for, if not to share this kind of thing? Thank you for sharing this; I feel I am now your friend and also your friend's friend.
pastchristmas
Blade
Blade

Post by pastchristmas »

moom wrote:I've recently found out that Lembit Öpik is a candidate for Mayor of London, coming from Wales.
BUT

He's Estonian.

HA! 8)
So does this mean that before he commences talks about things like budget, transportation, etc., the council would first have to hear his review on the latest Belle and Sebastian album? :lol:
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

It also means, I get free tickets to UK, you bastards :lol:

Next thing you know, - I'm the King! And UK belongs to Estonia!
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

I see that the Iranian man who was due to be blinded because he'd thrown acid on the face of a woman who rejected him has had a reprieve. It's a very very unpleasant story. There's a photo of the woman on the BBC's website and it's disturbing to see what the before and after look like

=>Linky Dink
henno

Post by henno »

this is mental!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://news.sky.com/home/world-news/article/16042941
Australian police are battling to defuse a suspected bomb believed to be strapped to a teenage girl's neck at her multimillion-dollar mansion in Sydney.

i really hope this ends up in a good manner.
justabagofatoms
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by justabagofatoms »

Mubarak was in court in Cairo today, on a stretcher. I think they should have wrapped him like a mummy. Protests are being put down in the city by military police brandishing batons and yelling that God is great. I doubt that God would be amused, if there is a God, which is what these menacing monkeys are suggesting. A really violent God. They should have stuck to Ra.
Egypt doesn't seem to be of much interest to the American media right now, but it would be nice to see more attention given to it. Perhaps a revolution that brings democratic freedoms to that region should be supported more enthusiastically. I would love to see the Egyptian antiquities that are currently stashed in the museums and wealthy estates of the world, returned to Egypt. I think that returning the Rosetta Stone, which is in England, would be a fantastic start. Perhaps Egypt can resolve it's chaotic situation and return to a more peaceful state as the archeological wonder that it is if given more attention and respect by countries that can help in ways other than militarily.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

If I could press a "like" button, justabagofatoms' post would be one.
Flying pig437
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Flying pig437 »

The no shit Sherlock award of the day goes to this comment from a Guardian article about the Darpa hypersonic plane test flight that went awol. "The loss of the hypersonic aircraft is a serious setback for engineers trying to perfect the art of flying at such spectacular speeds." [-D-]
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!
Location: Dylan Moran as Bernie, in whom Ray Davies meets Pete Doherty. Otherwise, Tallinn, Estonia.

Post by moom »

David Bowie's 'Space Oddity' - a children's book?
http://www.nme.com/news/david-bowie/589 ... #f2600e375
mags
Blade
Blade

Post by mags »

Waiting and wondering when all the very expensive "space junk" will make it's firey re-entry:
http://space.flatoday.net/2011/09/nasa- ... round.html
snifferdog
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by snifferdog »

Got to love the peculiar logic in this sentence "NASA estimates the odds at 1 in 3,200 that someone somewhere on the planet could be struck, but the chance any specific individual would be hit are in the trillions."
moom
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by moom »

mags wrote:Waiting and wondering when all the very expensive "space junk" will make it's firey re-entry:
http://space.flatoday.net/2011/09/nasa- ... round.html
I actually saw space dust burning in the sky this winter (in Estonia).
Idisaffect
Judge!
Judge!

Post by Idisaffect »

moom wrote: space dust burning in the sky
I think you got a song there, Moom.
admiral panther
Hammer
Hammer

Post by admiral panther »

did i hear some of those shooting stars are no bigger than a grain of sand cause ive seen them light up the sky..
flashback
Lord!!
Lord!!

Post by flashback »

LONDON (AP) — Authorities say a four-wheel drive vehicle has been abandoned near the summit of one of Britain's highest mountains — for the second time this month.

Mountain rescuers found the Vauxhall Frontera atop Mount Snowdon in north Wales on Thursday. They say it is the same vehicle that was left there Sept. 3.

Snowdonia National Park Authority chief executive Aneurin Phillips called the act "irresponsible" and "totally unacceptable."

The car's owner, Craig Anthony Williams, has been charged with dangerous driving over the earlier incident and is due in court next week.

After his arrest Wiliams told the BBC that driving up the mountain was on his list of "50 things to do before you die."

The 3,560-foot (1,085 meter) mountain is the highest peak in England and Wales