Earls Court

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Barney
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Barney »

thrill-seeker wrote:
Barney wrote:Im looking for photos from the EARLS COURT MAY 11TH gig. Does anyone have any?
Check around some of the other forums. I've got some still to upload anyway :)
Ive had no luck so far! Let me know when you have the pics ready! Send me a pm or something. I'll be checking this part of the forum most of the day. Thanks a lot!
leedmc
Embryo
Embryo

Post by leedmc »

Bad experience for me (Friday's show) I had front row balcony tickets and thought that they would be great seats, BUT, Earl's Court neglected to tell me that they were at least 2 metres from the front and every person going for a drink/toilet break would be obscuring my view :(

That's only the start.

The sound was dreadful, too much pre-recorded vocals, boring set list and I was surrounded by more stoned/drunk idiots than I have ever been before. They were acting like idiots throughout the entire first section and by half-way through 'Money' the combination of all the above made me leave. I don't regret it.

This is the 3rd time that I have seen Roger and definitly the worse. I was at Hyde Park on 1st July and as someone else says on this thread that show was amazing. In fact it is probally the best concert I have ever been to. But from such a high to such a low.

Concert rating 2/10 - and thats only for the screen films and flying pig.

A complete waste of £55.
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

That's not really Rogers fault though is it. I was also surrounded by drunken and stoned idiots who definately pissed me off in the first set. They were still pissing me off in the second set but I learnt to live with it, they wern't being violent, just loud and very distracting
leedmc
Embryo
Embryo

Post by leedmc »

hummingman wrote:That's not really Rogers fault though is it. I was also surrounded by drunken and stoned idiots who definately pissed me off in the first set. They were still pissing me off in the second set but I learnt to live with it, they wern't being violent, just loud and very distracting
Well Roger can't be blamed for the idiots in the crowd and I never hinted anywhere in my original post that he was responsible. The crowd control guys were to blame.

However, I'd rather waste my money than waste my time and I wasn't willing to waste anymore time trying to get into the concert when it was obvious that this was going to be a night to forget.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

What a shame that many of you had a forgettable experience. I have attended probably close to, if not more than 100 concerts in my life and have never had such horrific issues with an obnoxious crowd. I simply cannot understand why anyone would pay that much for a ticket and spend the entire evening making an ass out of themselves. It's one thing to be a bit drunk and yell out when one of your favorite songs is played, but it's quite another to be so annoying for an extended period and to ruin the performance for others around you. The offenders should have been warned and removed if they continued with that behavior! What a waste!
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

If your paying those kind of prices in a liberal democracy, do what you want.
Syd'sSexy
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by Syd'sSexy »

The show was in London! Anyway, it's not about "free speech," it's more about common courtesy. Why should anyone have their concert experience spoiled by a bunch of drunk and stoned hoodlums? It's just not right.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Why should the hoodlums sit down and shut up and not enjoy the show...not trying to start anything, but if you have 10 000 - 20 000 people paying top dollar of their hard earned dollars for a pop concert (this is entertainment after a tough grind at work), you get what you get. Roger likes these big concerts now.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

to be honest you should expect these kinds of things at rock concerts in large venues .. people enjoying them selves, they've paid there money just like you .. they maybe acting like idiots in your eyes but they could be having a night out and enjoying them selves ... wouldn't let it bother me .. :wink:
moodyblue
Hammer
Hammer

Post by moodyblue »

nosaj wrote:Why should the hoodlums sit down and shut up and not enjoy the show...not trying to start anything, but if you have 10 000 - 20 000 people paying top dollar of their hard earned dollars for a pop concert (this is entertainment after a tough grind at work), you get what you get. Roger likes these big concerts now.
Yes we all have a right to enjoy a show but no one has the right to spoil it for others.
Maybe they should have a section for the idiots and one for the true fans ?
Syd'sSexy wrote:The show was in London! Anyway, it's not about "free speech," it's more about common courtesy. Why should anyone have their concert experience spoiled by a bunch of drunk and stoned hoodlums? It's just not right.
This is exactly the point here and not about peoples rights to piss off everyone else around them in the name of letting their hair down.
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

hummingman wrote:That's not really Rogers fault though is it. I was also surrounded by drunken and stoned idiots who definately pissed me off in the first set. They were still pissing me off in the second set but I learnt to live with it, they wern't being violent, just loud and very distracting
I thought it was pretty ironic that the Wall was bourne out of the sort of behaviour that went on on Friday - you know people throwing cups shouting out for money etc and there he was playing to that sort of crowed. You can nearly understand why some artists charge so much - maybe its a way of pricing the lower classes out of the ticket market
lovescene4
Hammer
Hammer

Post by lovescene4 »

The Saturday show (with Nick Mason) was the 40th anniversary of their 'Games For May' concert.
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

Well, the volume of the show I went to with my really bad seats was so quiet, a whisper would be shushed...and some people were shushing some very un-rowdy people around me, it even killed the buzz for some of us supposed "real" fans (whatever that is). It was offensive to me to hear somebody being shushed for mearly telling the person next to them in a quiet voice (normal speaking voice) how much they liked a section of music. In fact several of us in my section took offense to that, because it wasn't nearly anything like what is described above at Earl's Court. I have been to the odd show of a similar size, and it was rowdy, but, what do you expect at a show of this size. Just because it is our beloved Roger, or Dave or PF, doesn't matter...crowds do what they will.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

moodyblue wrote: Yes the people at the back didn't have as good a view as the people closer but the only way round that is to play smaller venues and then, not as many people can go which in turn leads to people moaning 'why doesn't he play larger venues so i can get a ticket' etc etc etc......so which way do you want it ?
Kind of like the PULSE tour, where even at the worst possible seat you could still see some really great stuff going on. Even if Dave was an ant and Nick was invisible, the lasers and lights were active, mobile, and interesting.
Yeah the lip synching pisses me off and is a betrayal of so much of what he's said and come out with in the past but to say 'not joining Pink Floyd' in a tribute to Syd is nonsence. From reliable sources it seems the problem lies with a certain Mr Gilmour who isn't interested in reforming. Roger has stated in print he'd love to do something with the other three and infact, the notes in the programme back this up to.
Gilmour's website seems to hint that it was Rog who didn't want to do it. I'm not even talking about reforming so much as going onstage once to play a (very simple) bass piece during a tribute to a dead friend... or, if that was too hard, just sing along (or even mime) during Bike, but instead he was the only artist NOT there.
Tenniru wrote:I really hope Rog hasn't totally blown it and closed a tour that, if you've been following it at all, ends with shows less interesting than Nick Mason's "Profiles".
Did you actually go to this tour by the way ?[/quote]

Bristow, September 23, 2006. Plus tons of bootlegs.
This tour has been identical almost note-for-note since the start of the American tour in '06, and even that was just a reshuffled version of the previous World Tour. I can hardly listen to recordings of the tour just because I'm hearing the same thing over and over with nothing unique. I'm wondering how the roadies and musicians handle it.
fatoldbob
Judge!
Judge!

Post by fatoldbob »

Tenniru wrote: Bristow, September 23, 2006. Plus tons of bootlegs.
Nothing like those 2 hour post-show traffic jams trying to get out of Nissan Pavilion, eh Tenniru?