Earls Court

All discussion related specifically to Roger Waters.
Yucateco
Supreme Judge!
Supreme Judge!

Post by Yucateco »

Tenniru wrote: I can hardly listen to recordings of the tour just because I'm hearing the same thing over and over with nothing unique. I'm wondering how the roadies and musicians handle it.
pay more attention then :D there are some very interesting differences in EVERY show in quite a lot of the songs. Mr. White, Mr. Kilminster and Mr. F-Low don´t like to play the same stuff every night.... same for Mr. Carin.
bonjanee
Axe
Axe

Post by bonjanee »

I was at the Point gig last night at it was very interesting to see how the tour has evolved since he played cork last year. Aside from the fact that the venue allowed for a larger suite of special effects, it was great to hear new variations in the arrangements - Andy F-L's 10 gallon hat intro to Leaving Beruit, additional sound effects in On the Run and the blast of the 1812 overture in Bring the Boys back home spring to mind. Also the evolution of STCFTHOTS both visually and musically was breath-taking.

Screen films were excellent (but still feel the Sheep films lack something) and the version of Great Gig played has to be the best I've ever heard; that's having seen waters 4 times and the 3 man floyd once.

To those getting hung up on the repetition of the set list, fair point. But Roger Waters is not Bob Dylan, this show has been conceived as an EVENT, ie high impact one off - I loved every second of it last night, but know it would lessen its impact on repeated viewing (there are only so many times I can be suprised by the appearance of a floating astronaut). I loved the theatre and flow of it - carefully constructed and choreographed, not something that could be shuffled around with too easily.

If the In the Flesh Tour was his return to the live arena, then this can be seen as his re-engagment with the art of rock spectacle. I am excited as to what he will do next. Part of me thinks that he is holding off on the new material until he can engineer a floyd reunion - there are two concepts brewing that demand a big f*&ck off stage show, even though there is greater public recognition of his contribution now, he knows he won't draw the crowds to a pros and cons style show, only the Floyd brand could do that.

Oh and hi everyone - been lurking round these parts for years, but never bothered to post until now...
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

bonjanee, sounds like Roger should put out a dvd of this tour.
Tenniru
Hammer
Hammer

Post by Tenniru »

fatoldbob wrote:
Tenniru wrote: Bristow, September 23, 2006. Plus tons of bootlegs.
Nothing like those 2 hour post-show traffic jams trying to get out of Nissan Pavilion, eh Tenniru?
We were already at the very back of the parking lot, so it took an infinity to escape. Of course my car was blaring the April 29 1970 RoIO (The Amazing Pudding, namely).
Getting there was worse, though. I was almost certain I would be trapped in the traffic when the show started!
elseppo
Embryo
Embryo

Post by elseppo »

that show on saturday was just incredible. i went there with a few guys from our german board (my journey was the shortest - eh eh), and they said, that compared to the german shows, it was just so much more. we REALLY had a fantastic time there. and i realised that i should spend a bit more time here.. :)
Land into Gold
Axe
Axe

Post by Land into Gold »

I went to Friday's show and thought it was excellent. Difficult to name highllights because it was all so good. However Us & Them was brilliant. Never heard it played with such energy before and Jon Carin did a fantastic job on vocals.

Roger was splendid and performed his heart out.

I've posted this link in another thread, but will put it here too ... as you will see, pigs do fly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ruf9GeGZBs

Oh and quick hi to Mossy and Simple Dumb Pilot - it's me, Sue alias Old Hippie :wink:
drafsack
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by drafsack »

bonjanee wrote: additional sound effects in On the Run and the blast of the 1812 overture in Bring the Boys back home spring to mind.

I loved every second of it last night, but know it would lessen its impact on repeated viewing
Its a pity he shortened bring the boys back home for these concerts - the version he played in cork was longer - also you are right about repeated veiwing would lesson the impact - I didn't make it to Dublin last night even though I had tickets but having seen the show 3 times in one week was enough - the novelty of seeing some of the effects was wearing off
cRaB
Knife
Knife

Post by cRaB »

3 times the same show in one week? :shock:
u've got guts, bro :lol:
nosaj
Supreme Lord!
Supreme Lord!

Post by nosaj »

I must admit, seeing several voio's before the concert kind of dulled the experience for me...however, with David's shows there still would have been some surprises (I like both these old farts btw).
Gidman
Embryo
Embryo

Post by Gidman »

I went to Earls Court on Friday - well what a gig. OK it was different in atmosphere to the Hyde Park Gig last year....but what do you expect - Open air - Sunshine...its gonna be. However fridays show was excellent....particular highlights for me was Fletcher Memorial, Us and Them and Sheep. I also though the rear projection on stage was inspired.....quality.
Machina
Blade
Blade

Post by Machina »

They take the caps off the bottles because a full bottle hurts more when it hits you in the face than an empty one and you can throw it further with a cap on..Anyone who goes to see a tribute bands is a complete Dickhead and even mentioning a tribute band within the same context as the real thing is a good enough reason to have the shit kicked out of you for lining the pockets of no talent glory seekers.
hummingman
Blade
Blade

Post by hummingman »

Machina wrote:They take the caps off the bottles because a full bottle hurts more when it hits you in the face than an empty one and you can throw it further with a cap on..Anyone who goes to see a tribute bands is a complete Dickhead and even mentioning a tribute band within the same context as the real thing is a good enough reason to have the shit kicked out of you for lining the pockets of no talent glory seekers.
Was that aimed at me? I just think it's stupid they take the bottlecaps off, even when you buy bottles from inside the venue, it's like giving someone a car to drive and limiting it to 20mph or giving someone a meal and instead of a fork giving them a spoon, because they could stab someone with the fork. And as far as mentioning tribute bands, I only said that Aussie PF were louder than Rog was, this does not make them better.
jonesy
Hammer
Hammer

Post by jonesy »

Machina wrote:They take the caps off the bottles because a full bottle hurts more when it hits you in the face than an empty one and you can throw it further with a cap on..Anyone who goes to see a tribute bands is a complete Dickhead and even mentioning a tribute band within the same context as the real thing is a good enough reason to have the shit kicked out of you for lining the pockets of no talent glory seekers.
i think thats a bit harsh...

are you saying that 90% of the people on this website are dick heads and need the shit kicking out of us ... get real.. is not as if pink floyd tour every year is it now ?? also people like to get out once in a while and watch live music so why not go and see some good talented musicians earning a living playing music which they and you apreciate and respect ..
DoctorFloyd

Post by DoctorFloyd »

I'm sorry but much as I enjoy Aussie Floyd's performance..they were no where near as loud as Rog...like comparing a V8 engined car with an exhaust to a Spitfire on full throttle where I was!

I for one am glad that not everyone shares your somewhat immature sentiments towards tribute acts. I know Aussie Floyd are good to see, and I have heard that the Musical Box are a pretty fair forgery of Genesis!

However, one thing that annoyed me on Friday was Shine On You Crazy Diamond...why on earth did he want to cut out the whole beginning section? That right pissed me off!
decampos
Hammer
Hammer

Post by decampos »

hummingman wrote:I just think it's stupid they take the bottlecaps off ...
In my cynical mind having to uncap bottles is just so you buy more drinks. The excuse given to me (at the earls court gig) was - 'someone was hurt by having a cap thrown at them'. What nonsense - a coin can do far more damage when thrown but they don't ban them.